Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Graduate Special Rate Advice??

Options
  • 19-10-2014 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody can help regarding this.

So my understanding of it is rather clear, I'm just looking for advice.

I was talking to SUSI, and they said that if you are over by €1 or €5,000, it doesn't matter.

As things stand I will be over by €139 and there is nothing I can do about it.

I find this highly frustrating, as I do not see how being over by this little equates to losing out on the special rate.

Is a potential student whose combined income with that of parents is €22,842, much less disadvantaged than one whose families combined income is 22,700?

I am currently on Jobseeker's Allowance, and with the way things are going I'm so tempted to just sign off for good in December so that I meet the threshold.

It seems SUSI will do anything and everything in their power to prevent you from getting the help you need, so why can't students do everything in their power to prevent them taking it away?

It's not as if I have a choice here. All my job applications have fallen on deaf ears, and I NEED to improve my qualification level from Level 8 to 9 but have no other way to get the money.

Absolutely disgusted is not the word.

Does anybody have any advice?

I'm so stressed out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shannore

If you're on Jobseekers Allowance, then you'd be better off applying for the Back to Education Allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Shannore wrote: »
    If you're on Jobseekers Allowance, then you'd be better off applying for the Back to Education Allowance

Pretty sure I cannot.

BTEA only applies to a very select few Post-Graduate options, of which an MSc. in Biotechnology is not one I'm afraid.

Advertisement