Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final year BSc , thinking of leaving work.

Options
  • 02-10-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

So I'm thinking of leaving my PT job to put as much effort as I can into getting the best degree . Currently , at weekends I would usually be do 20hrs - Friday evening , Saturday and Sunday.

I have some money saved that I know I should be able to manage with until next May .

Alot of people are saying I should wait till after christmas , with the extra pay and what not... but IMO I dont think it would be worth the extra pressure .

Im studying Maths and my final year is split into 3 , christmas exams , summer exams and overall project. If i wait till after christmas i think the lack of studying at weekends will put my christmas exam grades at risk.

My parents dont think its a good decision but these days a difference between a 2.1 degree and 2.2 can be a job or not.

I'm just wondering what people think, would you do the same , or stick it out longer ?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Is your current job relevant to your future career or would it be hard to pick up again post exams?

If you can afford it why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Never mind what other people think for a second, you are the one that has to sit your finals! What do you honestly honestly deep down think yourself? If you feel like your getting bogged down already, maybe you could talk to your boss about working reduced hours before you throw it in altogether? Many students work during their final year and postgraduate years. If you feel like you are managing ok, it may be hard, but stick it out for another few weeks and see how you feel then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Get out. Even if you're able to manage, who wants to manage in a final year of a degree which will have a large say in your future. You want to afford yourself the best possible shot at getting the best results you can. That most certainly means not working. I'm sure if really needed, that you could get a load from one of the banks to tide you over which you don't have to make repayments on until you start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

To be honest If you could get reduced hours and keep your part time job might be a better idea.Having a degree is not going to land your straight into a job when you finish college as I found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thanks for the responses ..

I work in retail , not relevant at all to what i want to do when i leave..

They have denied giving me less hours , and even worse, lately they have me in till 9 and 10 on Saturday and Sunday , so come Monday i'd be wrecked.

To give my degree and in turn my future career its best chance , i've decided im handing in my notice in two weeks. I have plans to do maths grinds with jc and lc students to keep me going also with my savings .

• Advertisement
Advertisement