Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking for shorts advice

Options
  • 04-05-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey could you please advise me on a good pair of shorts. I'm picking up my new bike this week and I want a good pair of shorts to make my journey into cycling easier ðŸ˜႒

Also would I be better of with bib shorts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

funnyclub wrote: »
    Hey could you please advise me on a good pair of shorts. I'm picking up my new bike this week and I want a good pair of shorts to make my journey into cycling easier ðŸ˜႒

Also would I be better of with bib shorts?

Check out chainreactioncycles.com endless choice and price range - for something decent (I.e well built with decent padding) budget €50 plus. They stick endura which is good quality. Also wiggle.co.uk for dhb, santini

Cyclesuperstore.ie also worth checking out they occasionally do offers on the Bicycle Line make they stock - had three pairs and I like them

And bibs are the way to go! More comfortable all round

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Check out chainreactioncycles.com endless choice and price range - for something decent (I.e well built with decent padding) budget €50 plus. They stick endura which is good quality. Also wiggle.co.uk for dhb, santini

Cyclesuperstore.ie also worth checking out they occasionally do offers on the Bicycle Line make they stock - had three pairs and I like them

And bibs are the way to go! More comfortable all round

Good on ya thx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi all. Sorry for intruding on this thread, but I too am a newbie, but will most likely be staying a newbie. I have opted into a 75km fun cycle and am borrowing a road bike as I dont have one. I could do with a cheaper end pair of shorts, if I tell the missus I spent 50 euro on a pair she'd kill me. Have checked out the sites above and not even sure which ones might be padded or not, its not immediately obvious to me. e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rockgardn-karma-race-shorts-2013/rp-prod64533

Any help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hi all. Sorry for intruding on this thread, but I too am a newbie, but will most likely be staying a newbie. I have opted into a 75km fun cycle and am borrowing a road bike as I dont have one. I could do with a cheaper end pair of shorts, if I tell the missus I spent 50 euro on a pair she'd kill me. Have checked out the sites above and not even sure which ones might be padded or not, its not immediately obvious to me. e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rockgardn-karma-race-shorts-2013/rp-prod64533

They are MTB/DH shorts, you need padded bib shorts. You'll not get much for less than €30 so plan on spending that much at least. If your only doing one sportive then you could borrow a pair or look for someone selling a pair cheap. What height/size are you? I have a few pairs I no longer use.

Thanks for the reply. I had just googled bib shorts, which had cleared up a few things for me!

I'm 6ft, slim(ish), 34 inch waist. Maybe someone on here has a pair going cheap, good idea. I'm in Dublin, Dundrum area.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I had just googled bib shorts, which had cleared up a few things for me!

I'm 6ft, slim(ish), 34 inch waist. Maybe someone on here has a pair going cheap, good idea. I'm in Dublin, Dundrum area.

I'm same height, what weight are you? I may have a pair suitable

Thanks...I'm 12 to 12.5 stone.

Thanks...I'm 12 to 12.5 stone.

Ok the pair I have will be no good for you, I'm 12st and they're too big on me. Put a wanted thread up in the classified section here and someone should have something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I dont mean to put a damper on your fun cycle but do you cycle at all? Going from nothing to 75km on a road bike might be quite challenging. When is the cycle? I would recommend getting out on the bike asap to try and get used to it and so your "butt" can get used to saddle. Last thing you want is a sore butt, believe me, it is very painful if you are not somewhat used to it. A good pair of shorts will help but they will not fix everything.

Either way, good luck with the cycle!

logik wrote: »
    I dont mean to put a damper on your fun cycle but do you cycle at all? Going from nothing to 75km on a road bike might be quite challenging. When is the cycle? I would recommend getting out on the bike asap to try and get used to it and so your "butt" can get used to saddle. Last thing you want is a sore butt, believe me, it is very painful if you are not somewhat used to it. A good pair of shorts will help but they will not fix everything.

Either way, good luck with the cycle!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have a month to get my butt ready and hope to be on the bike this weekend. I cycle a mountain bike a few kms into work occasionally so your warnings are well founded.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have a month to get my butt ready and hope to be on the bike this weekend. I cycle a mountain bike a few kms into work occasionally so your warnings are well founded.

I PM'd you as I found a pair if shorts that may be suitable for you (and not expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Bibs are the way to go. If you have any sort of a belly on you they really are amazing but even if you don't there's no reason not to wear them.

You both might try Aldi and/or Lidl. They have cycling stuff regularly enough and while it's not the greatest ever it is passable and very cheap. A lot of stores have left overs from previous weekly specials and you may be able to get something useful. I know the store on the Long Mile Road had bib tights a few weeks ago that were left over from the weekly special months earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Bibs are the way to go. Make sure you get a jar or tube of Chamois cream if you intend on doing longer rides. The cream can prevent chaffing and reduce the risk of getting a bacterial/fungal infection.
    Also for anyone new to cycling ...don't wear underwear under your shorts.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/androni-giocattoli-venezuela-sidermec-2013-team-bib-shorts-max2-insert.html?SID=7u8e5j5ek4ih1tsqsit96gmsb0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Bibs are the way to go. If you have any sort of a belly on you they really are amazing but even if you don't there's no reason not to wear them.

You both might try Aldi and/or Lidl. They have cycling stuff regularly enough and while it's not the greatest ever it is passable and very cheap. A lot of stores have left overs from previous weekly specials and you may be able to get something useful. I know the store on the Long Mile Road had bib tights a few weeks ago that were left over from the weekly special months earlier.

Bellies, who mentioned bellies. There'll be no mentioned of bellies in here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Start cycling in to work every day from now on. Try going the long way home a couple of evenings per week. Just an extra 5-10k will help.

Get out for 30k this weekend and build up to around 55k over the weekends. That'll leave you handy enough for the spin (and addicted for afterwards)...

not yet wrote: »
    Bellies, who mentioned bellies. There'll be no mentioned of bellies in here please.

Nor fungal/bacterial infections & no underwear in the context of considering second hand shorts!!

Advertisement