Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me choose between 3 road bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Modt people would steer awsy from a triple. All good bikes in the price bracket. Giant make and sell lots of bikes they are good but Cube do too.
    Have you tried them out. What one grabs your attention? Why not a compact double in the Lapierre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Personally I find Cube the best looking of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I tried out the Defy 1. I liked it and the understated looks.
    I saw the Lapierre but the TIAGRA chainset is chunky.

I didn't see the exact Cube... I thought the welds were 'bumpy' but it is internal cabling and some 105 components.

The Cube looks 'bling' but perhaps it will date.... the Giant is a green I quite like and understated.

I am leaning towards the Giant and it might be easier to have Giant shops near me etc etc compared to Cube. Cycle Superstore for the Lapierre/Cube is miles out of my way.

The Lapieree was not available in my size in the Compact.

Those 3 brands all make great bikes. Have you looked in just 1 shop? All these brands are popular so bound to have your size somewhere.

which one feels right to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I have to put my order in tomorrow. I'm not experienced enough to notice small differences in the real world between them!

The Giant Defy 1 is a 1250 bike with 105 for 1k. The others are Tiagra/compromises. I can see how the Cube is considered a looker.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you like the Giant so go with that. You won't go wrong with any of them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

for the 105 alone I'd go with the Defy.

I have a 2012 Audacio 400 with a compact and love it but the clunk from some of the gear changes is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I have the 2013 Defy 1 which I like but it has not been without its problems. The rear derailleur snapped off after 2k kms which was a €60 fix. I've had numerous broken spokes on the rear wheel so much so that Giant eventually agreed to supply a new Mavic rear wheel under warranty. That said I still really like the bike and it looks well cleaned up. The 105 gearing is silky smooth in fairness.

I was in a bike shop at the weekend and the Cube looks gorgeous. Some people put me off buying a triple but I'm kind of sorry I didn't. Truth be known I could use a few lower gears for serious climbing. If I could turn the clock back 12 months I would probably buy the Cube.

Advertisement