Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes and Dublin

Options
  • 22-05-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

I'm kinda conscious of possibly going over old ground here so if there is a pre exisiting thread. Feel free to merge.

I have been living abroad for the last couple of years and have just returned to the city. Dublin bikes were around when I lived here before but I never really interacted with them along the quays or the city centre much. Given where I am now living (beside hueston) and where I am working (Pearse St) I can forsee myself using it alot.

The thought of using the bikes every day on the quays is a scary prospect, there is zero protection for cyclists and with the imminent expansion scheme the added traffic up and down the quays from hueston I can see things getting really bad, really fast. I see wreckless cycling and wreckless driving, IMO its not an accident waiting to happen its several accidents and probable deaths that are garanteed to occur.

Are there plans for a dedicated cycle route from Hueston to the CIty centre or are they gonna wait until there is blood on the streets before they act?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

There are no HGVs on the quays during the day. This plus being a safe (not timid nor reckless) cyclist should be all the safety you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I used to use DB a lot, and I'm up and down the quays regularly. Theres no need to worry about it, its actually much safer than it looks, especially on a Dublin Bike because chances are you won't be going as fast as other cyclists so theres less to go wrong.

Alls you need to do is pay attention to riding safely - a steady, reasonable pace - and predictably. Heading to Heuston you'll need to be careful with changing lanes as you approach and signal in good time while making eye contact with any motorists coming up behind. If theres any large vehicles on the quay, never go up on the inside. Keep a good a wide position in the bus lane and always give a bus the right of way. Theres a goods entrance on the quay just before Heuston so watch out for trucks turning in and coming out.

Coming in on the North quay just keep steady and hold your line, its a little bit narrower and you'll find the prevailing wind allows cyclists to go faster than usual although the conditions don't really support it. Don't get caught up with trying to get down as quick as possible, again give buses the right of way and be careful of taxi drivers not yielding from Parkgate street as you turn on to the quay from Heuston, they're awful hooers for that. I just give them the I'm watching you signal and point to their reg plates ( then promptly forget about it :pac: )

Other than that its fine. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

willabur wrote: »
    I'm kinda conscious of possibly going over old ground here so if there is a pre exisiting thread. Feel free to merge.

I have been living abroad for the last couple of years and have just returned to the city. Dublin bikes were around when I lived here before but I never really interacted with them along the quays or the city centre much. Given where I am now living (beside hueston) and where I am working (Pearse St) I can forsee myself using it alot.

The thought of using the bikes every day on the quays is a scary prospect, there is zero protection for cyclists and with the imminent expansion scheme the added traffic up and down the quays from hueston I can see things getting really bad, really fast. I see wreckless cycling and wreckless driving, IMO its not an accident waiting to happen its several accidents and probable deaths that are garanteed to occur.

Are there plans for a dedicated cycle route from Hueston to the CIty centre or are they gonna wait until there is blood on the streets before they act?

if you're that worried just walk. I used to use them everyday and its fine. Odd bus driver acts the maggot but once you cycle intelligently you should be ok. I am now working near Houston and can't wait until they open the stations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There are no HGVs on the quays during the day....
    The restriction only applies to HGV's with 5 or more axles. There is no restriction on HGV's with 2,3,or,4 axles nor is there a restriction on HGV's with 5+ axles who are loading/unloading within the restriction area.

A permit system also applies to trucks which need to access the docks via the city centre but which are unsuitable for the DPT. About 80 such permits are issued daily.

In saying that, there has been a huge drop in truck numbers using the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

drogdub wrote: »
    if you're that worried just walk. I used to use them everyday and its fine. Odd bus driver acts the maggot but once you cycle intelligently you should be ok. I am now working near Houston and can't wait until they open the stations

It's not really myself I'm worried about I've plenty of years cycling behind me, what I'm worried about is the amount of novices taking to the bikes now that they are at the door of hueston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

willabur wrote: »
    It's not really myself I'm worried about I've plenty of years cycling behind me, what I'm worried about is the amount of novices taking to the bikes now that they are at the door of hueston.

Good point, there are going to be a lot of rail users transferring onto Dublin Bikes to get down the quays rather than take the Luas or Bus. Some of them may not have cycled since they were teenagers and they'll be going straight in to city centre traffic. I suppose it was the same when DB first came along but down the quays can be dodge in certain spots, you do need your wits about you and be able to make quick and correct decisions in your riding. I hope we don't see any major accidents, it's not that bad of a route but if you're not aware things can go pear shaped quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

As far as I know there are plans to turn the north quays into a bus lane which would greatly improve the Dublin bike experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I commute up the Nth quays many times a week.
    Early is better IMHO as there is less traffic. Some of the cycling behaviour is shocking though.

In terms of HGV - there is by my reckoning an increasing number of HGVs using the quays on a daily basis. On Tuesday I was followed out of the Phoenix Park by a 6 axle truck with 1 axle moved up to avoid road contact.
    I then counted five HGVs on the quays from park to Capel St bridge.

I did hear from a firm on engineers that are working on a large public sector building that there are plans for a two way cycle lane running the entire length of quays from Hueston to North Wall. Not certain as to likelihood of this.

Advertisement