Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion Time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Of course it involves monkeys, what a dumb ass question :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hmmm. Go to the PRS thread NOW!!!

Monkeys wearing fezes?

iban82iceman-ic400cs.jpg

Tis. It isn't me though :p

Me neither, but it's easy on the eye. You going for the HH or HSH RG?

Well, I like HH cos my pick normally hits the single but the HSH is really appealing to me for both looks and tonal possibilities.

But that's for teh future. Must sell my computer first.

Meh, for the amount of time I'd use a middle single coil, I wouldn't bother personally. In fact, I could probably live happily without the neck pickup too :D

No, I need the neck pickup. I really couldn't live without it. I love the bluesy type tones you can get by just changing to it, especially with the EMG 85 :D

I'm actually looking forward to getting a good guitar now that I have a decent rig that doesn't include the words Zoom or Harley Benton :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Meh. I rarely use anything but my bridge pickup but occasionally I'll switch to the neck just for a mellow kind of style, and for cleans a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

TBH, I just like playing with different sounds and tones which is why I want the ME-50 so much.

feylya wrote:
    I'm actually looking forward to getting a good guitar now that I have a decent rig that doesn't include the words Zoom or Harley Benton :p

That's the spirit :p

That said, I was playing Mr_Angry's new Agile and while it's a lovely guitar, I was incredibly uncomfortable playing it. I picked up my LTD and I was completely relaxed. Probably because I've been playing the thing for 5 years but meh...

Calm blue ocean... :)

With a hurricane on the horizon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Doctor J wrote:
    Meh, for the amount of time I'd use a middle single coil, I wouldn't bother personally. In fact, I could probably live happily without the neck pickup too :D
    Never underestimate the power of the middle singlecoil. Has a lovely balance of warmth and brightness. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not mine. Mine's just a waste of space for tone wood.

I know what a middle single coil is capable of, however for what I have in mind it will not be necessary. Besides, the guitar I have in mind has a 5 way switch with a coil tap at 2 and 4.

Plus, I find I just screw them down anyway cos they get in the way of my picking hand :)

They're mounted to the body. You can't screw them down :o

Dig a deeper rout, then screw the thing down :cool:

Yes, I'll get the Dremel near my new €1000 guitar...

• Advertisement

Damn straight, show it who's boss :D

You scare me some times...

I assume you've seen my thread about Thomann.

Yeah, I've posted in it twice :confused:

As for guitars, if you ever buy one that suits you as is, you're a lucky man. Don't be scared to make an instrument suit you just because of its price tag. Besides, a grand isn't expensive when it comes to guitars as you well know. Sometimes you've just got to whip out the chisel and sort stuff out.

Hammer Time ;)

*boogies*

Yeah, a grand ain't too bad. Ah, I've been posting so much today, I've forgotten who posted where.

*shakes fist at computing exams*

Can't I just give it all up and play guitar all day???

Got an exam tomorrow, don't knock it. At least you aren't back in work on Wednesday :(

More morons whining about their broken laptops... :mad:

No. I have ahead of me. I've a networks exam tomorrow.

Haven't gone to the class yet this year. Oops... :D

Bah humbug to networks. Tell them the only network we need is love :p

Anyway, I'm out of here, back to studying noise gates, phasing, inserts, auxiliaries, compressors, orchestral recording and small diaphragm microphones. Evenin'

Good luck with that...

Cheers, you too man, peace out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hey Doc, why don't you go for one of these babies? Go on, you know you want it!

• Advertisement

It looks like a hardened snot... :p

Well obviously the Doc would get it in a colour to suit himself.

I've just put the deposit down on this. Twas just too good a deal to turn down

Ibanez S2020 XAV Prestige, 2002, super high end Japan model and the first one I’ve ever seen. All the high end features and a stunning work of art with impeccable Antique Violin finish over super thin S-shaped Mahogany body. Also features 3-piece Maple neck, taped off edges for PRS style “binding”, thin Wizard neck, Lo Pro Edge tremolo and a great electronics package consisting of QM1/QM2 DiMarzio pickups and a Baggs piezo pickup system. Stereo outputs if you want to send the acoustic tones to a separate amp or use the mix controls to blend the magnetic and piezo through the same amp. Controls are: 5-way for selection of humbucker and single coil tones on the QM’s controlled by master volume and master tone; 3-way mini for choice of magnetic/piezo/both; volume for piezo and stacked pot for piezo bass/treble boost. This model appears to be available internationally but is a hard to find model in the USA. With a list price of $1600 you can expect to pay $1199 – if you can find one. This one is virtually “as new” and includes the thick, plush-lined Ibanez case for just $899.

iban02s2020-prestige.jpg

Now, back to studying.

I have to try that!!!!

Now go study!

Hey, nice one doc! I will have to personally try that fellow out at some stage!

No problem, my fees are fair ;) I'm really interested in the Piezo trem. Won't be getting it until late January/early February though.

Yeah, I really want to try that piezo thing. I must make myself a piezo guitar.

What amp are you gonna run the piezo through?

Whatever amp I run everything else through :)

I'm way too lazy to lug two amps into a gig. The Ampeg has a nice clean channel too, and it's plenty heavy by itself, so there ya go.

Heh heh heh unless I can afford to pay someone to carry gear around, then I keep it to a minimum. Since I can't afford to pay someone... well you can see where this is going, can't ye? ;)

Edit -> Actually, being honest, I couldn't be arsed carrying one amp to a gig so the answer is whatever amp happens to be there :D

psst, piezo's usually go straight into the PA.....

Get a cheap ass acoustic.

Hmmm, ever order from soundcontrol.co.uk? They look to be cheaper than thomann.de...

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    psst, piezo's usually go straight into the PA.....

Only if you're playing an acoustic, in which case you don't want ****loads of ampage rattling around the inside of your guitar. Piezo is just another way of creating an electrical signal out of a string vibration, there is no rulebook. I'll see how it sounds and I'll take it from there.

Could sound crap for all I know... in which case I'll sell it to you and buy the RG
    ;)

Yes, sell it to me like you did the G&L ;)

TBH, those two surface mounted jacks really put me off.

Yeah, it ain't the prettiest, but it's very versatile tonally and I'd take that any day over aesthetics. DiMarzios, Edge Pro with Piezo's, Prestige neck and case for €700? Yeah, that'll do pig, that'll do :p

Who you calling Pig???

Aye, versatile for cheap alright. Pray you never have to rewire it though...

Oh christ no way. I don't think I'll even open the control panel :eek:

:eek:

That's the first thing I do when I get a guitar - check the wiring!!!

This Thomann thing is really pissing me off now. I'm tempted to cancel the order and shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement

That's what I'd do, though I'd get Mastercard onto it first. Then I'd say "I am cancelling my order because Mastercard says..." - I'd even tell them who I was transferring the order to and wish them the best in their future business.

The wiring in the bass is really quite beautiful, very clean indeed. I reckon I won't need to do anything meself :)

Hmmm. The problem is finding the stuff for the same price or cheaper. Not really gonna happen I think.

I may just cancel the order and let the money sit for a while...

Might be the best option. Either way, if you're uncomfortable with their ordering procedure tell them so and don't go ahead with it.

Yeah. Kinda leaves me without an amp or effects for the foreseeable future. I have Mr_Angry's bandit but I've just started jamming with a couple of local guitarists and it ain't easy for them to be lugging amps about the place cos they've no transport.

Use the 1180 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement