Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Off the road declarations

Options
  • 28-05-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hey all, I've just been going through loads of threads on this but I can't find a definitive answer. I know that if you declare your car off the road, the garda is just witnessing this declaration and say if the garda who is signing the form for you doesn't check that the car was off the road, does the council do so afterwards, after you have presented it to them, or is it down to the council itself?

Would like to check this once and for all thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They don't check, but seems your motives aren't entirely honest

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

No, my motive is purely knowledge based, so no need to be suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

sallywin wrote: »
    No, my motive is purely knowledge based, so no need to be suspicious.

Are you looking to declare that your car has been off the road recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've known of gardai to run a quick check against the car reg, to see if it came up as e.g. a parking ticket, speeding offence or other road traffic infringement when it was supposed to be off the road, and to refuse it based on that. I also know of one garda that remembered seeing a particular car on the road a fortnight before the declaration came in (that garda likes his cars and remembered this car as it was unusual).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Popoutman wrote: »
    I've known of gardai to run a quick check against the car reg, to see if it came up as e.g. a parking ticket, speeding offence or other road traffic infringement when it was supposed to be off the road, and to refuse it based on that. I also know of one garda that remembered seeing a particular car on the road a fortnight before the declaration came in (that garda likes his cars and remembered this car as it was unusual).

And as such, you can be done for making a false declaration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The people that tried to get the declaration for off-road simply had to pay all of the back-tax applicable, as the Garda couldn't trust at what stage the cars were put back on the road. The grand or two in back tax was likely thought to be enough of a punishment in their cases.

(I should note in case it isn't that obvious that these situations weren't applicable to me but to other people - I pay what taxes I'm supposed to when I'm supposed to..)

As do we all!

I have to say I do find it really quite sad to see people ready to pounce on someone for something like skipping some car tax, were they to do it, and yet, what are any of these same people with a problem with that, doing to object to the billions paid to bondholders, loads of whom were unsecured?

I don't get the mentality. The idea that you would zone in on someone skipping car tax for a break or whatever the reason (and nowhere did I say I was going to do that) is to be honest cowardly. I have to wonder if it's to compensate for a guilty conscience over doing nothing about the billions pumped into financial institutions, or what exactly is the mentality here? If you think it makes you pay any more, you are wrong. What makes you pay more is the money flooding out to the financial institutions so don't kid yourself on that one.

At times like this the little people (which we all are) should be sticking together.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As do we all!

I have to say I do find it really quite sad to see people ready to pounce on someone for something like skipping some car tax, were they to do it, and yet, what are any of these same people with a problem with that, doing to object to the billions paid to bondholders, loads of whom were unsecured?

I don't get the mentality. The idea that you would zone in on someone skipping car tax for a break or whatever the reason (and nowhere did I say I was going to do that) is to be honest cowardly. I have to wonder if it's to compensate for a guilty conscience over doing nothing about the billions pumped into financial institutions, or what exactly is the mentality here? If you think it makes you pay any more, you are wrong. What makes you pay more is the money flooding out to the financial institutions so don't kid yourself on that one.

At times like this the little people (which we all are) should be sticking together.

Is this going to be the arguement for everything now? "rabble rabble rabble banks, rabble rabble rabble bondholders, rabble rabble"

Is this going to be the arguement for everything now? "rabble rabble rabble banks, rabble rabble rabble bondholders, rabble rabble"

1. And is that going to be the height of your counter argument?

2. What is the objection people have to someone skipping car tax for a while?
    I made a valid point that if it's because you think it raises your tax, it doesn't. So why else the moral high ground? I ask because I seek to understand the mentality, because I don't get it. I'd prefer to put my energies into looking at where the several billions are going, but that's probably just me? Everyone else ready to have a go at the guy on the same level as him?

Care to argue something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I made a valid point that if it's because you think it raises your tax, it doesn't. So why else the moral high ground? I ask because I seek to understand the mentality, because I don't get it. I'd prefer to put my energies into looking at where the several billions are going, but that's probably just me? Everyone else ready to have a go at the guy on the same level as him?

The not paying tax angle worked so well for the Greeks, but I fear we are veering off on a tangent here.

Pay your car tax and don't make fraudulent declarations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The same objection they have to Anglo bosses not being in prison, if you must reduce the argument to that.

If you're going to defraud the state, don't try and blame it on other similar defrauders.

R.O.R wrote: »
    The not paying tax angle worked so well for the Greeks, but I fear we are veering off on a tangent here.

Pay your car tax and don't make fraudulent declarations.

And that is exactly the view of the Greeks that the EU heads want you to have, so well done on taking your pill. Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, they wanted to make an example of Greece, and did you ever stop to think why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I pay my tax, I expect my fellow countrymen (people) to pay theirs.

Whether those taxes are spent well is a different issue. Email your local TD if you have an issue with it.

As for "putting your energies into looking at where the several billions are going", how's that working out for you?
    Have you received many replies to the multitude of emails you've sent to TDs, the media etc.? Boycotted anything or marched anywhere lately?

Or is your only answer to the banking crisis to not pay your taxes and wonder why others think you're being selfish?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And that is exactly the view of the Greeks that the EU heads want you to have, so well done on taking your pill. Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, they wanted to make an example of Greece, and did you ever stop to think why?

Economics -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=858
    Conspiracy Theories -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

I'm not sure which is more suitable, but its not really a motoring issue.

MYOB wrote: »
    The same objection they have to Anglo bosses not being in prison, if you must reduce the argument to that.

If you're going to defraud the state, don't try and blame it on other similar defrauders.

MYOB, the word 'similar' there? What's with that?

MYOB, the word 'similar' there? What's with that?

You don't appear to comprehend that you defrauding the state is no different to a banker doing it.

AltAccount wrote: »
    I pay my tax, I expect my fellow countrymen (people) to pay theirs.

Whether those taxes are spent well is a different issue. Email your local TD if you have an issue with it.

As for "putting your energies into looking at where the several billions are going", how's that working out for you?
    Have you received many replies to the multitude of emails you've sent to TDs, the media etc.? Boycotted anything or marched anywhere lately?

Or is your only answer to the banking crisis to not pay your taxes and wonder why others think you're being selfish?

I've done loads in relation to speaking up about what's going on and certainly more than the majority. I do as much as I can in fact and I did so because I know of no other way to act.

I too pay my taxes, consider it right to do so, and expect others to also, and might I remind you that nowhere did I say that I haven't done so! But I just find it unsettling to see people ready to pounce on a person who they have a hunch is skipping car tax, I really and truly find that worrying. And I have yet to hear a good argument for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This isn't really motoring related or going anywhere good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement