Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6i skoda octavia 07 won't start

Options
  • 01-08-2014 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was driving yesterday, just after getting petrol, and my skoda octavia lost power while driving at about 60 kmh.......

Pushed it to the side of Road... And called insurance company... Had to be towed.... Got slight smell of burning just before it died..

Basically. When you turn the ignition nothing much happens.... The engine doesn't turn and nothing kicks in... The garage it was towed to thinks it's a starter motor but need to test this.... Anyone experienced this before with a volkswagen/skoda/audi before.....

If so how much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Not been smart but any chance you put the wrong fuel in? Did it myself burning smell after I drove too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

MAJJ wrote: »
    Not been smart but any chance you put the wrong fuel in? Did it myself burning smell after I drove too.

that can happen anyone nearly did it myself a few times.
    hope car was taken to your own or reliable mechanic you know, if not id get it there if possible,ones misfortune is another's opportunity to make few easy bob.
    if you turn key and get no response- clicks, engine cranking or lights in in dash, its electrical or dead battery or faulty connection, if light on in dash and they dim when key turned it may be solenied or starter or faulty connection. if lights dont dim it may be wire off solenied of dash problem or relay

but i would say starters give a little notice unless a wire fell off solenoid, which can be loosened easily accidentally,another problem if not fuel or starter(which is unlikely) is an electrical one in dash
    if i were you i would get VAG diagnostics on car. it will pinpoint electrical problems , for around €40 euro it will save a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Georgio1974

very strange one this, the mechanic picked me up, they were a little confused, had it over night and then came back tome the next morning...

the A/c unit has failed and locked the engine, they'd never seen it before and thought that it was highly unusual.... so they change the belt and bypassed the a/c unit and goes straight from the starter to the shaft now... just don't have cold a/c any more, but would cost about 1k to fix otherwise

thanks for the advice though folks, leaving it here in case someone else ever comes across the same issue

i presume thats the air conditioning unit you are referring to , please excuse my asking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I don't know what he's talking about either!

I don't know how an A/C unit could lock an engine. Presumably it's on a belt drive at the front of the engine and that would slip if something seized. The starer is at the other end of the engine and it engages the flywheel, so what shaft does the starter go straight to now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

You pick ac compressor up from the brakers fora couple hundred and allow 250 for fitting and regasing the system with new belt.

I guess the burning smell was the belt jammed by compressor and engine turning.
    car cut out because when belt was jammed the alternator wasn't charging battery and when voltage droppedotoo low car cut out and didnt have enough power to restart.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I don't know what he's talking about either!

I don't know how an A/C unit could lock an engine. Presumably it's on a belt drive at the front of the engine and that would slip if something seized. The starer is at the other end of the engine and it engages the flywheel, so what shaft does the starter go straight to now?

maybe he meant alternator and just said starter in error? can happen and if battery low problems will occur

Advertisement