Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Strings

Options
  • 21-01-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Hope this won't seem like a stupid question. Would any of the guitar shops in Dublin change the strings on my guitar for me. It has been sitting in my parents place now the last two years. I have cleared some space in my current place and want to start practicing, it has been sitting there a while untouched so I figure the string would likely need to be changed. Having never done it before I would have no idea where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

Hope this won't seem like a stupid question. Would any of the guitar shops in Dublin change the strings on my guitar for me. It has been sitting in my parents place now the last two years. I have cleared some space in my current place and want to start practicing, it has been sitting there a while untouched so I figure the string would likely need to be changed. Having never done it before I would have no idea where to start.

Most of the places in town will restring your guitar for you. I'd recommend the guys in Guitar Centre on Exchequer street as Iv dealt with them recently and found them incredibly sound and helpful.
    Should cost around €10ish plus the price of the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Mark2229 wrote: »
    Most of the places in town will restring your guitar for you. I'd recommend the guys in Guitar Centre on Exchequer street as Iv dealt with them recently and found them incredibly sound and helpful.
    Should cost around €10ish plus the price of the strings.

Thanks for the fast reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I'll give a "plus 1" for the Guitar Centre on Exchequer street.

Nice guys to deal with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ask them to show you how to do it while they're at it. You might as well learn how to do it yourself, and while it may seem daunting when you don't know, it's not difficult.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, search youtube for videos on how to do it yourself, and save yourself some money. It's incredibly simple to do. Worse thing that'll happen is you break a string or two doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I agree with feylya. You just have to learn to do yourself. It's so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Learn how to do it. As important as tuning a guitar or learning a D chord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

If you're paying for strings anyway, maybe buy a 3 pack of Martin ones (provided you play acoustic) so that they will put on one set and show you how, you can try yourself the next time and even if you mess up you have another set for them to put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Spanish guitar, actually nylon strings. Embarrassing but I only gave it a go initially for a month or two. Then I moved house with no room for the guitar so it has sat there. If I manage to take it up, this time, I would hope to know how it should sound. Then I would be willing to change strings myself.

Advertisement