Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Malice wrote: »
    Damn right! I landed a contracting job in Boston one summer which I ended up only getting paid for once the two months work was completed. Cue me walking into a Guitar Center with a few thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket. Logically I should have been thinking "This cash should see me through nicely until Christmas". Of course I was really thinking "Holy crap I can afford anything except those vintage Les Pauls." I ended up a happy owner of the Strat here and still managed not to starve when I went back to college :).

Seems I bought my Jazz Bass in similar circumstances only a year later and in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Malice wrote: »
    There's something kind of cool-looking about this guitar:
    306845_478001278891892_1672220461_n.jpg

Is that Ted Nugent's? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

That would make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Do you think that Ted Nugent is trying to over-compensate for something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bass_player.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ordered a Squier strat...just cause it was red!

Classic Vibe 60's, hope it plays well, have a 50's version and it's great!

Also, it's time for mods...hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Ordered a Squier strat...just cause it was red!

Classic Vibe 60's, hope it plays well, have a 50's version and it's great!

Also, it's time for mods...hmmm

What happened the 'green' Clapton buzz you were on last week??:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What happened the 'green' Clapton buzz you were on last week??:)

Got side tracked! :p Still a strat right!?

Got side tracked! :p Still a strat right!?

Suppose it is.

Dude, you ever try David Allen Pickups? The single coil sets sound amazing, shipped from USA for €135 or so.

Suppose it is.

Dude, you ever try David Allen Pickups? The single coil sets sound amazing, shipped from USA for €135 or so.

Just ordered a new tremolo and brass block to help things. Never heard of them tbh, might put them on my list of things to do!

• Advertisement

Just ordered a new tremolo and brass block to help things. Never heard of them tbh, might put them on my list of things to do!

http://www.dallenpickups.com/category_s/12.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

To be honest, I wouldn't be rushing straight into mods if I was you, they're brilliant guitars as is.

Have to say, I'm really impressed with how well Squiers are doing lately, with the classic vibe series and some of the vintage mods, they're really amazing not only for the price but against the MIM fenders.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't be rushing straight into mods if I was you, they're brilliant guitars as is.

Have to say, I'm really impressed with how well Squiers are doing lately, with the classic vibe series and some of the vintage mods, they're really amazing not only for the price but against the MIM fenders.

Yeah i know, the 50's classic vibe I have is amazing. I hadn't planned on even changing the pickups, but it's always an option. I won't be doing anything too crazy with this one I think. Can't wait. Hate looking at the DHL page knowing it'll be Tuesday at the earliest when I get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Anywhere selling Recording King acoustics in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Dord & Ravellman-are you two gits trying to bankrupt me!!??

beautiful guitars!

Made an absolute hames of the SHO kit, I feckin' hate wiring pots and jacks. Haven't had the time to go back over it and see where I fecked up yet.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Made an absolute hames of the SHO kit, I feckin' hate wiring pots and jacks. Haven't had the time to go back over it and see where I fecked up yet.

At least it's only one pot. Fire up some pictures and I can see if there's anything visually obvious wrong.

Picked this up on adverts for 30 quid today, there's something wrong with the input, I can get signal the odd time but there's static, so hopefully once I crack it open it'll be just a case of resoldering the input jack and we're in business.
    713C3E5C-651A-48E4-9FFD-F53CF568D598-2028-000002805F69A4B5.jpg

@zafo think I have it sorted, I managed to stick a couple of solder joints into one big blob by accident, so I'm in the process of cleaning it up. Hopefully it'll work when I do.

I really don't have the time for these projects but I can't help myself.

• Advertisement

Got the pod working, 20 seconds to resolder the connections on the jack, and now it's working perfectly. It sounds pretty decent, it'll do perfectly for silent practice and recording scratch guitars. Not bad for 30 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm after modifying my 'Der Screamer' TS clone. I have put in an extra drive pot and switch, with led. The plan is to have the TS set at a moderate drive setting (I like it set at about 10 o'clock) but be able to kick in a higher gain if needed.
    All went to plan lastnight, but the only pot I had to hand was a 250k pot, so the original drive pot gives me the normal full range, but the new pot is half the value, so I'm getting roughly half the range (ie pot 2 at max is the same as pot 1 half way).
    This got me thinking, could I put a resistor in series with the new pot to get a higher gain range?

Or, to simplify things, if I had two 500k pots and stuck a 250k res in front of one giving me a sweep of 250-750k (plus the 51k res) would this give more gain in comparison with the original pot.

Or more simply, can it go to 11????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

I was looking to modify one of my Strats today to handle higher gain work and when going through my spare parts I came across a brandless pickup that was simply marked 'noiseless single coil - bridge'. I thought I'd give it shot but first I needed to remove the aged white cover off it so I could replace it with a standard white cover. Thats when this happened:

pickup1n.jpg

pickup2.jpg

The pickup was actually a rail pickup and the pole pieces were simply glued to the cover on a brass plate! This is an amazing idea! I love high gain tones but I also love traditional Strat aesthetics. With these covers I could make all my Dimarzio rail pickups look like single coils but unfortunately I can't find anywhere that sells covers like these. I don't suppose anyone has seen anywhere online that sells these?

Elysian wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone has seen anywhere online that sells these?
    i think thomann have them

johnROSS wrote: »
    i think thomann have them

After a lot of research it turns out the fake pole pieces are actually part of the grounding system of that particular pickup and are not available separately. Shame really, this Strat now has a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge position and you'd never guess (not not until you heard it :p)

dimiv.jpg

noby wrote: »
    I'm after modifying my 'Der Screamer' TS clone. I have put in an extra drive pot and switch, with led. The plan is to have the TS set at a moderate drive setting (I like it set at about 10 o'clock) but be able to kick in a higher gain if needed.
    All went to plan lastnight, but the only pot I had to hand was a 250k pot, so the original drive pot gives me the normal full range, but the new pot is half the value, so I'm getting roughly half the range (ie pot 2 at max is the same as pot 1 half way).
    This got me thinking, could I put a resistor in series with the new pot to get a higher gain range?

Or, to simplify things, if I had two 500k pots and stuck a 250k res in front of one giving me a sweep of 250-750k (plus the 51k res) would this give more gain in comparison with the original pot.

Or more simply, can it go to 11????

With Tubescreamers you get more gain by adjusting the resistor to ground off the op amp feedback loop which is the 4K7 R7 on the musikding layout. So you could put that one and a smaller one, anything down to about 1.5K to raise the gain.

As for the other question, yes putting a 250K resistor in front of the 250K pot will give you the second half of the 500K range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Elysian wrote: »

dimiv.jpg

What's the guitar? Looks nice.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What's the guitar? Looks nice.

Why thanks! It's early 90s MIJ Strat that was refinished in nitro surf green and gigged a lot. I didn't like the original neck so it's currently sporting a '91 US Strat Plus neck which is nice but I have a second hand American Standard maple fretboard neck en route which should look great on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I've been watching some demos of the Orange Micro Terror and I have to say that for €120ish it looks fantastic.

• Advertisement

I need to get me a big, dependable, solidstate mothercuffer of an amp as soon as possible for under 100 euro. any suggestions?

Advertisement