Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adjusting a dish from hotbird to sky

• 20-07-2005 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

My inlaws got a hotbird setup last year just for the EWTN channel. Now that EWTN have launched on channel 680 on sky I got them a sky digibox and freeview card from the north to replace the hotbird setup. Will the same dish and LNB work or will I have to put up the new dish that came with the digibox and freeview card. If the existing dish works is there much adjustment required without having to purchase a satellite locator meter. How difficult would it be.
    Neil

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

same dish and lnb will work fine if swung about 15 degrees to the east

smwlink program here tells you the settings

http://www.smw.se/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I downloaded that program but don't really know what to do with it.
    Cheers for the other info.
    Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Same dish/LNB will work

Astra 2 ($ky) is at 28 degrees east but it you might have to adjust the elevation angle of the dish slightly as well
    is there much adjustment required without having to purchase a satellite locator meter. How difficult would it be
    Its doable but awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

imo getting a signal meter that you can directly use at the dish is recommended, i purchased a cheap one in lidl a yr ago and its powered by the receiver, i was testing it out to see how good it works and when i adjusted the sensitivity to a low degree and adjusted the dish slightly i gained a 25% increase in signal strength and near the same in quality, if you use the digibox to try and see without a meter it can be stressfull because the signal screen of the digibox is about 1 second slow.

So try and get a cheap meter, because then adjusting it is piss easy, trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I spent about 3 hours with no success on Thursday evening twiddling about the dish. So I bit the bullet and got a meter in Maplins on Friday for €65. I'd say it took me 15 minutes max on Friday evening to find sky with the meter. It was a bit steep at €65 but worth it. I would have got one of Tony's for €15 only he's on holiday till August. Thanks to all who helped.
    Neil

• Advertisement
Advertisement