Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what water softener is this?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I am moving into a new house soon and found this, plugged out under the sink.

My question is, should I bin it or get it serviced and carry on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

if you remove the black cap, what is inside ?

it could be salt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

That looks very similar to the water softenmer I installed in my folks home a few years ago. All you need to do is:

1. make sure it is getting power from the plug in transformer. You should be able to hear a slight 'puring noise' as there is a motor within the unit that constantly turns a cam which operates the various valves.

2. Make sure it is set to the right time.

3. the silver tabs on the 24 dial are pushed in to set how many times it does a backwash during the week.

At some time you should hear it backwashing, and you will see a lot of water coming out the drain. Plus the salt in the tank should be used so the level should drop over time.

After I installed the softener in the house I purchased some water hardness test strips from www.microplumb.co.uk (for about a tenner). You can use this to test the treated and untreated water to confirm that there is a difference in the hardness levels (thus confirming that the unit is working).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Thanks for your input guys.

When I get in I will see if it is working.

Remove it and give it a bloody good scrub before I trust it, the current tenants have been living there for two years and never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gtv2002g

the control unit on top is an autotrol 255 valve unit and the timer is the older 440 model they are an american unit and are actually quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

gtv2002g wrote: »
    the control unit on top is an autotrol 255 valve unit and the timer is the older 440 model they are an american unit and are actually quite good

Thanks, I haven't actually looked at it yet. Is there anything I should do with it before I plug it in, other than add a bag of salt?

It has been left plumbed in, unused for about 3 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement