Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat spraying

Options
  • 02-04-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a two and a half year old neutered cat. In the last couple of months he's been spraying around the house. Has anyone else had this problem with their cat and if so what did you do to stop him from doing it.
    He has a cat flap and can come and go as he pleases and i also have a clean litter tray in the house for him.
    Any info would help.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I'd guess the reason he's spraying is that he's being bullied out of doors and feeling insecure about his territory. I've had problems with other cats hanging around and stressing my cats out in the past.

You could try getting him a Feliway diffuser, which is meant to help, although I've tried it and didn't notice that much difference.

One thing that I did find helped my less confident female a lot was getting her a ceiling height cat tree, as she's got a high vantage point to sleep on (it's got a hammock at around 1.2 metres) and feels safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Are you sure it's him?
    We had issues with strays getting in catflaps before, even the magnetic one once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Thanks for replying.
    I'm positive it is him as i have caught him (Bert) several times doing it. Only ever once had a neighbours cat in last year and my lad curled up and slept beside him.
    I'm after ordering the feliway spray and diffuser, so hopefully it will have positive results.
    Got a urine infection ruled out by the vet last week. He said i should lock Bert into a room for a couple of weeks with a litter tray to see if it will sort him out. I can't as he loves going out and if we close the door to a room when he's in it, he,ll scream non stop till its opened again, be it a minute or a hour.
    Thanks again

Advertisement