Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new baby!!

Options
  • 02-04-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I finally got round to collecting my new baby today, my second chilean rose hair tarantula called Bet !! My last one unfortunatley took ill over a month ago and passed away nearly 3 and half years old. Collected her this morning and she is lovely, a real docile creature. Some of you will prob cringe at the thought of it but they really are an easy maintanance alternative. Will get some pics up of her later but just to give you an idea here's what she looks like :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

Some of you will prob cringe at the thought of it but

I was expecting a puppy and didn't quite cringe, but spiders aren't really my thing.

However, congratulations all the same. Getting a new pet can be a very cool experience.

Do you typically leave a tarantula in their cage all the time, or do you let it crawl around some during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭biggybum

Left in its aquarium 99.9% of the time,i usually handle mine for a few minutes every day. You'd be surprised how docile they really are !! I've had quite a few varieties at this stage and i have to say these are the most managable of all. Fed purely on Crickets and can withstand reasonably cool climates which is handy !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Chillies are great.Theyre like the Labrador of Spiders.

In the wild they can survive in temperatures as low as a few degrees below freezing.Quite hardy species.

Personally Im looking to get a Avicularia Metallica(Metallic Pinktoe) but I havent seen one anywhere for sale in a long while.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Chillies are great.Theyre like the Labrador of Spiders.

In the wild they can survive in temperatures as low as a few degrees below freezing.Quite hardy species.

Personally Im looking to get a Avicularia Metallica(Metallic Pinktoe) but I havent seen one anywhere for sale in a long while.

There is a pinktoe for sale where i bought my fella !! He's there quite a while now, actually think he is kust the normal pink toe not the metallica !!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Yeah chilies are great, i got four.picked up two last week,both a year old and out of the same batch,one is twice the size of the other,both eating the same amount too,also have a Mature Male G.Rosea..hes looking for a girlfriend!!!!!

• Advertisement

pics

@ gversey nice pics, had a couple of other t's but found them more of a handful tbh, only other one i'd have is the red rump... also had the theraphosa blondi (bird eating spider) but found it impossible to maintain the right temp etc for him so rather than risk it i sent him back to the shop where he found a new home !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

biggybum wrote: »
    There is a pinktoe for sale where i bought my fella !! He's there quite a while now, actually think he is kust the normal pink toe not the metallica !!

Had a normal one before--the only T to ever bite me :)
    Then again shouldnt have been hand feeding it.

Really want the Metallica though since theyre supposed to be a lot bigger than the normal one.

Got a Chaco Golden knee too,he eats like a pig,cant really smuggle anything else in ,,not yet anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Congratulations and welcome to Bet! Spiders aren't exactly my thing but I can appreciate their beauty - from afar!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Hellrazer have you checked www.thespidershop.co.uk ?they have pink toes, they arn't the mettalica but a lot larger than the common ones?

cos!! wrote: »
    Hellrazer have you checked www.thespidershop.co.uk ?they have pink toes, they arn't the mettalica but a lot larger than the common ones?

Yeah Ive always gotten my spiders from there.Just have my mind set on the Metallic though.

ah right cool!i dont think iv ever seen them?going ggogle them now and have a read

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/metallica.shtml

Good read there.Old site though but I believe that they grow to 8+ inches.One of the biggest arboreals.

Thats big for Aviculara alright!nice spiders!think im going place an order with the spider shop soon now that the weathers picking up!might just watch it for a while and make sure it stays mild!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thats a funny looking puppy ha ha. Cool spider. Never had one meself. Would like one though, it would make me cool.
    How long do them yokes live for anyways?

When you see what I would call a huge spider on your wall or just going for a little walk around the house. Do ye just laugh at the ickle thing and leave your beasts kill em. Obviously ye are not like me and go call your mother to get rid of it . He he

seanybiker wrote: »
    thats a funny looking puppy ha ha. Cool spider. Never had one meself. Would like one though, it would make me cool.
    How long do them yokes live for anyways?

When you see what I would call a huge spider on your wall or just going for a little walk around the house. Do ye just laugh at the ickle thing and leave your beasts kill em. Obviously ye are not like me and go call your mother to get rid of it . He he

There like any other animal/pet you'd own, no point in having one unless you have a genuine interest in them and are prepared o look after them ! I've seen so many people/friends with exotic pets that are just thrown to one side after the novelty wears off...

Advertisement