Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marshall Amp/French FM Radio?? WTF??!!!

• 25-02-2005 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please tell me why the f*ck my TSL100 is picking up a french Radio station?

I was just jamming away and I could here someone talking out from my cab. I twiddled a few knobs and cranked the gain up a bit to try and improve the reception, and there's bloody frogs chatting in my damn Amp!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

lol, can't help you but I can laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

By any chance were you using a Wah pedal at the time.. Think of it this way.. guitar = arial, wah = tuner, cab well uh a cabs a speaker whatever way you look at it. Happend me the odd time.. but was a German station.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Nope. No wah in the system. there was a Line 6 DL4, phaser, and DS-1 going through but none of them were turned on at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

that happens on my marshall. but not on any of my other amps. I reckon theres something not sheilded in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Yeah, it sounds like an unshielded amp circuit, or even more likely an unshielded lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yeah, it sounds like an unshielded amp circuit, or even more likely an unshielded lead.
    If its a lead, what you could try doing is covering the lead in tin foil, shiny side out (i think). As for the problem possibly coming from the amp, i dunno. Try covering it in tinfoil? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not unheard of. Tom Morello picked up that kind of interference through his JCM800 while he was recording Sleep Now In The Fire. Seems to be a characteristic of Marshall amps.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Try a different power outlet. It's a really common thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Have you tried to talking to them? Give it a shout. Keep going for an hour or two. And you might need to shout.

;-)

Actually, this happened to me years ago, but strangely enough it was a tiny 15w Vantage amp and a GERMAN radio station!

If its a lead, what you could try doing is covering the lead in tin foil, shiny side out (i think). As for the problem possibly coming from the amp, i dunno. Try covering it in tinfoil? :D

Eh... I guess you could. It wouldn't matter too much which side, as long as you connected the foil to earth (preferably only at the grounding end, ie the amp). But, em... buying a proper lead might be easier, tbh. :) A Planet Waves will sort you right out.

• Advertisement

Is it worth me mentioning that I was using a Planet Waves cable at the time? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's probably the power supply. When I was jamming with Dabhoys he used to get some radio through his PRS/Mesa/Planet Waves etc setup, but only from a particular outlet in the room we rehearsed in.

Why not just shout into your pickups and try and transmit to the radio station :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

u ever see vai's live in the astoria, where billy sheehan and vai talk to each other by shouting into the pickups!? its a nice trick :)

+ i can only ever get german stations, i havnt gotten any from my tsl but i did from a little danelectro and a Mg30 before + only with the wah on.......

Oeneus wrote:
    Is it worth me mentioning that I was using a Planet Waves cable at the time? :p

Did you have the right end plugged in to the amp? :p

Your TSL is gay, buy a real man's amp instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Like what?!

A big dirty Mesa or Engl... mmmmm

TSL100 is God!

Actually. A JMP-1 with a the dual block 100w power amp is probably better! Mmmmm...

Triaxis with a 2:90 tbh.

Advertisement