Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign travel for elderly parents with very poor mobility

Options
  • 09-01-2016 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi all and many thanks for reading my post.

My parents are in their 80's. My dad are very poor mobility, can't walk without assistance. However doesn't use a wheelchair, only a rollator. He is determined he wants to go on a holiday outside of Ireland, probably Spain or that region. My mum wouldn't be able to manage him on her own. I'm not sure it's practical for him to travel however id like to help him if possible.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for companies that organise holidays for people with poor mobility. That provide support travelling/ during the holiday. Also for safety reasons would be dad be better using a wheelchair while traveling/ on holidays. He is prone to falling. Any opinions would be appreciated?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

There are accessible cruise ships which may be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Honestly, this sounds like it could be a very bad idea, or could be very difficult for your mother. It's great to see older folks enjoying independent activities, but I'm not really sure this is workable. If your father isn't used to managing a chair on his own, he's going to need someone (your mother) to push him around.

If you knew of a particular location where accommodation and restaurants were very close together, easily accessible, then it might possible work. You'd need to ensure that all transfers to/from the airport were organised. Are there any other family members who could accompany them? Maybe a college student grandchild who could be persuaded (or paid) to go along and keep an eye on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, your mum could not manage a wheelchair and it would be actually dangerous for both of them for her to try. A fit third party would be the only option, unless someone in the family is willing to organise a family holiday abroad to accompany them.

Also it is extremely unlikely that they would get insurance, so in the event of any health problems they could incur huge expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Encourage your dad to use a wheelchair while on holiday ..... if nothing else than for your mum's sake.

Budget for the cost of a paid helper (for both of them) in the holiday cost. Care must be taken to ensure they select a compatible person to help with whom they are comfortable.

Any other arrangement, IMO, will put too much strain on both parents.

I hope they get sorted and have a great holiday. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here you go,
    Disabilities Holidays Guide
    This site gives links to various operators running trips with supports for people with disabilities, such as the ones your mother suffers from.
    The site is based in the UK, but in this day and age it'd simply mean connecting to the flights there via a short hop from here.

Here's a service providing holidays in Spain with available 1to1 support and assistance
    http://www.disabledholidays.com/Supported-12-days-property-63230.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement