Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consistent alarm going off, what are my rights?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭

All

I live in Spencer Dock in Dublin 1

2 to 3 times a week at a very late hour the Alarm at Spencer dock train station goes off and continues to go off for at least an hour

It is extremely loud and causes me to lose sleep.
    It's going off right now (22/07/2011 00:30)

I have looked on the Irish rail website and there is no contact number.

What are my rights here?
    I am going to write a letter to Irish rail in complaint, but do I have any legal ground?

Again, this is a consistent thing. The alarm is ALWAYS going off at an un-godly hour.

Regards
    G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭legaleagle10

Well you could have an action for Nuisance but not a huge amount of success of winning because you live in an Urban area, and people who live in built up urban areas are seen by the courts IMO to put up with more (i feel your pain though neighbour has barking dog that insists on barking for hours on end and late at night!) anyhoo, contact the Maintenace crew in Spencer dock (if you were to bring case could be seen as mitigation) and let them know what the story is and that the alarm is highly sensitive, its interfering with your enjoyment of the property and causing you undue stress etc etc

oh and gather evidence of the noice

You might find the below link helpful...
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html
    grahambo wrote: »
    All

2 to 3 times a week at a very late hour the Alarm at Spencer dock train station goes off and continues to go off for at least an hour

What are my rights here?
    I am going to write a letter to Irish rail in complaint, but do I have any legal ground?

Again, this is a consistent thing. The alarm is ALWAYS going off at an un-godly hour.

Regards
    G.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

In the case of a faulty alarm, a local
    authority may serve a notice
    under Section 107 of the
    Environmental Protection Agency
    Act, 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

All

What are my rights here?

Regards
    G.

The EN50131 standard for external bells sets the maximum duration for 15 minutes. This is only for alarms fitted from September 2003. There was meant to be a new law to cover all alarm systems but as yet it has not come about.
    Hopefully OP they have the alarm installed after this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Spencer dock train station
    This doesn't exist yet. :)

There are Spencer Dock Luas stop and Docklands train station. Find out which one and contact the relevant operator.

http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/ Docklands is only manned at peak times.

Luas
    info@luas.ie
    Freefone on 1800 300 604

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

As far as I remember regulations exist whereby alarms installed in residential areas should be set to a continuous audible alarm for max 15mins.

EDIT: altor got there before me.
    Also OP- try and contact CIE property management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Victor wrote: »
    This doesn't exist yet. :)

There are Spencer Dock Luas stop and Docklands train station. Find out which one and contact the relevant operator.

http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/ Docklands is only manned at peak times.

Luas
    info@luas.ie
    Freefone on 1800 300 604

Thanks all for your replies, really appreciate them

RE: the above

It's the Docklands train station

Regards
    G.

Advertisement