Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Speeding Offence Possible Inconclusive Location?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Paulw wrote: »
    You heard of??? I've heard of UFOs, but it doesn't mean that they're true. :rolleyes:

indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

francie81 wrote: »
    Ok first and foremost I received a speeding ticket by post today which I've duely no problem paying and accepting points for my actions and I always like to think these are as accurate as they say it is.

Here goes I know exactly where I was going that day but I think I may have a case in soo far that I was NOT in the Area that it says on the offence but rather on the street adjacent to it which has a name plus the Area is a mile to the right of it. Am I clutching at straws here?

Francie

Finally discovered my faith went as far as going to the county council to have a look at the townmap which did reveal that the location on my ticket was within the boundary, still though felt good being a **** about it and not being the typical Irish taking it lying down.

Yours,
    Francie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Funny you should bring this up as there were a couple of cases of this recently in a location in Galway, so much so that it made the local newspaper (Connacth Tribune, 22 July 2011).

On this basis a friend of mine stuck his neck out to see what would happen (he had already paid the fine and accepted the points on his license but now wished to appeal the endorsement). He contacted the Licensing queries dept of the RSA who told him to contact the Garda fixed fine penalties office. He duely did so and the following was the reply he got back (redacted to protect the guilty!)
    Mr. XXXXXXXXXX,

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email below.
    Please note that your reference number is XXXXXXXX and needs to be quoted on all correspondence.

Having checked the details relating to same, I can confirm that a System Error has been detected in relation to same. In the circumstances, could you please forward a copy of your Driver Licence, the RSA notification regarding the penalty points and the payment receipt, where possible. Please forward same to the Fixed Charge Processing Office, An Garda Siochana, Parnell St., Thurles, Co.Tipperary.

Upon receipt of same a file will be sent for the expungement of said penalty points, once this has been confirmed by the RSA, a refund cheque will issue to your postal address. Please note that this process may take 4/6 weeks from receipt of your documentation.

I'm not sure if there is any basis in law for this or if the Gardaí just couldn't be arsed in pursuing it any further but it seems like he will be getting his money back and the points expunged from his license.

As an aside, I don't condone this as he was caught speeding and should take the consequences like a man, but it appears that errors of this nature can be exploited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

francie81 wrote: »
    Finally discovered my faith went as far as going to the county council to have a look at the townmap which did reveal that the location on my ticket was within the boundary, still though felt good being a **** about it and not being the typical Irish taking it lying down.

Yours,
    Francie

Yes. Well done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Paulw wrote: »
    You heard of??? I've heard of UFOs, but it doesn't mean that they're true. :rolleyes:
    Don't do what I do and read this website before bed :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement