Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog urinating

Options
  • 26-07-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello

What is the law or where is it in relation to a dog peeing and a plant in sombodys garden!!

Some man came after me today because my dog(who i was walking on a lead) apparently peed on a bush in his garden!
    The man was gettin really thick about it and was calling the guards-love to see what they would say back

Cant really seem to find any info about it!

So if anybody knows anything please send some info this way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

i dont think there is anything for wee,what an idiot the guards would have laughed at him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

rochtray wrote: »
    Hello

What is the law or where is it in relation to a dog peeing and a plant in sombodys garden!!

Some man came after me today because my dog(who i was walking on a lead) apparently peed on a bush in his garden!
    The man was gettin really thick about it and was calling the guards-love to see what they would say back

Cant really seem to find any info about it!

So if anybody knows anything please send some info this way
    what was he doing in someones garden? would you like if someone peed at your door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

MapForJ wrote: »
    what was he doing in someones garden? would you like if someone peed at your door

A boundary hedge? dog could easily pee on it without stepping into the persons garden. My dog pees on every single pillar when out walking, it can take 20 mins to cover 200yds.
    That man sounds like a nutter TBH, what are you meant to do? carry rolls of Bounty kitchen towel (or which ever one is the most absorbent) and make sure the dog wees on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

If the owner of the dog had the dog on a lead and watched the dog pee on the mans plants without giving the lead a chuck i would be peed off myself.;)

time lord wrote: »
    If the owner of the dog had the dog on a lead and watched the dog pee on the mans plants without giving the lead a chuck i would be peed off myself.;)
    all rights no resonsibilities for some dog owners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

The guards won't take any interest in this. You should keep better control of your dog to avoid incidents like this in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rochtray

MapForJ wrote: »

when i say garden! its pretty much a town house as in the garden is about a foot deep, maybe 2 and a half at the biggest so the dog and myself were on a public footpath!
    Andrew33 wrote: »
    A boundary hedge? dog could easily pee on it without stepping into the persons garden. My dog pees on every single pillar when out walking, it can take 20 mins to cover 200yds.
    That man sounds like a nutter TBH, what are you meant to do? carry rolls of Bounty kitchen towel (or which ever one is the most absorbent) and make sure the dog wees on it?

a boundary is a bit much it was just a bush

time lord wrote: »

well i didnt stop, i didnt even know the dog peed till the man followed me half way down the street

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

i have two dogs of my own ,the neighbours have dogs and yes they come and pee and poo,do i care no.they are dogs .i have lot more **** going on my life than to be worrying about a dog peeing

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Think this guy was just threatening to call the gardai just to annoy you, they would only laugh at him anyway.
    Next time your walking past the mad mans house just move your dog to the outside of the footpath so your walking nearest to the bush, move him back then once you've passed his house!
    I have a dog and sometimes he pees on the boundary plants in other gardens but never had any complaints, but if it's not pee, I pick it up....always
    Neighbors of mine have a huge dog who they walk off the lead. He was forever coming into my garden (live on an estate that has all open plan gardens - so no walls or boundary fencing) he'd b there for ages pissing and crapping and they'd stand there and watch, I didn't mind the peeing so much but to let him crap and forage around drove me mad!
    They started putting the lead on him when they walked past my house after about the 5th time I went out like a maniac and told them to keep their dog sh1te to themselves!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Is it illegal to pick up neighbours dog poo and dump it in their garden??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

no just make sure you wash your hands afterwards.

Think this guy was just threatening to call the gardai just to annoy you, they would only laugh at him anyway.
    Next time your walking past the mad mans house just move your dog to the outside of the footpath so your walking nearest to the bush, move him back then once you've passed his house!
    I have a dog and sometimes he pees on the boundary plants in other gardens but never had any complaints, but if it's not pee, I pick it up....always
    Neighbors of mine have a huge dog who they walk off the lead. He was forever coming into my garden (live on an estate that has all open plan gardens - so no walls or boundary fencing) he'd b there for ages pissing and crapping and they'd stand there and watch, I didn't mind the peeing so much but to let him crap and forage around drove me mad!
    They started putting the lead on him when they walked past my house after about the 5th time I went out like a maniac and told them to keep their dog sh1te to themselves!!!!!!
    i would do the same with pee.no one has the right to have dog pee on someone else property.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Amenities at the front of a townhouse would rarely, if ever, be considered the property of the person who owns the townhouse.

A townhouse is typically defined as an own-door (usually terraced) house with a back-only garden or no garden at all. They are usually identified by having a door which opens onto a public path. A townhouse with front and back gardens is simply a house. :)

In this case, any amenities - be it bushes, etc - at the front of the house would be under the remit and ownership of the management company. The home owner would have no right to demand anyone to do anything while on such property.

If the foot of dirt between the path and his house belongs to him, then he could theoretically bring a civil suit against you for trespass, but without any form of boundary fence, such an action would fail.

Dog waste is covered under the waste management act, but it only applies to faeces, not to urine. In other words, there is no law preventing dogs from urinating anywhere and no obligation on owners to do anything about it. Thankfully.
    Were a dog to enter someone's garden and urinate on their plants, the only actions available would be a charge of trespass, and a civil case under tort for compensation for damage to the plant(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

seamus wrote: »
    Amenities at the front of a townhouse would rarely, if ever, be considered the property of the person who owns the townhouse.

A townhouse is typically defined as an own-door (usually terraced) house with a back-only garden or no garden at all. They are usually identified by having a door which opens onto a public path. A townhouse with front and back gardens is simply a house. :)

Can you give a source for the difference you claim between a townhouse and a house

I'd have thought a townhouse is auctioneerSpeak for a terraced house

I would have thought that was the common understanding - a townhouse is basically the next step up from a duplex apartment, where you have your own door, nobody above or below you and no gardens.

Maybe I'm wrong. In any case as the OP mentions, the "garden" is a 1 foot plot sitting directly beside the path. In most cases, this is land owned by the management company and not by the homeowner. The homeowner, even if he owns that bit of land, would have no recourse without a boundary fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

seamus wrote: »

In this case, any amenities - be it bushes, etc - at the front of the house would be under the remit and ownership of the management company. The home owner would have no right to demand anyone to do anything while on such property.

If the foot of dirt between the path and his house belongs to him, then he could theoretically bring a civil suit against you for trespass, but without any form of boundary fence, such an action would fail.

Dog waste is covered under the waste management act, but it only applies to faeces, not to urine. In other words, there is no law preventing dogs from urinating anywhere and no obligation on owners to do anything about it. Thankfully.
    Were a dog to enter someone's garden and urinate on their plants, the only actions available would be a charge of trespass, and a civil case under tort for compensation for damage to the plant(s).

so if a dog was allowed poo in my garden has the owner dumped waster there and could be pursued?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

A dog 3 doors up used to crap in my garden regular..but I fixed it by placing a plastic bottle full of water in the garden..its a known preventative and works a treat hasslefree. Just a tip if your garden is being used as a dog ****ter.

so if a dog was allowed poo in my garden has the owner dumped waster there and could be pursued?
    Correct. It's the same as having them throw their rubbish over your wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

PinkFly wrote: »

In their garden? I'd put it tru their letterbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

PinkFly wrote: »

It's not illegal to pick it up :D but it is illegal to dump it in their garden because you are also littering even though their dog did it first, and if you're caught you could be prosecuted. Basically, you are responsible for disposing of any litter on your land in a safe responsible manner no matter how it got there.

You can give the owner a chance to clean up his dog's mess instead of reporting him to the litter warden (who will probably laugh at you and never turn up), but if he refuses you have to dispose of it properly yourself.

A more direct and effective approach might be to put it in a plastic bag (preferably still warm), ring his doorbell, hand it back, in a confident disgruntled voice say something brief like "your dog left that in my garden" , turn and march away without looking back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement