Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long more has Christianity (Religion) got ?

• 30-05-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭

As we enter a more enlightened age of human evolution and development and less people actively partake in religion (have their children indoctrinated into it by default). How long has it got ?

10 years ?
    20 years ?
    50 years ?

Even the most fervent Christian must see that a book written to catalogue things that happened two thousand years ago in the 1400's is a bit dicey to take as fact/something to base your life on.

I come from a regular Irish family and I have huge respect for the comfort and sense of wellbeing family members of previous generations and older members get/got from it.

But surely the jig is almost up, even with the once hard corners of the Vatican's laws being smoothed over to stay in touch/keep the money flowing in.

Your thoughts AH ?

P.S. Like this post or my peaceful God will burn you for all eternity etc (or not)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know one thing.

Hundreds of millions, maybe billions, of people will die in the name of religions before they are 'eradicated'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

It'll survive away grand it has survived 2000 years of wars,schisms,reformations blah blah etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How long more has Christianity git what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I never mentioned eradicating anyone :)

More along the lines of how long until it peters out/the average Joe no longer cares.

There will always be extreme examples middle east/parts of the states.

Apparently i made a bit of a git of myself in the title if a mod can fix it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Religion of any description is not going away any time soon like everything it will evolve to keep itself relevant and even if a traditional religion did dissapear another one will appear to replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

What's the average age of priests, 60-70+, if not a bit more.

Very, very few young people are filling the places the dead priests are leaving, so in 30 years I'd image the church getting very small here.

The numbers who actually practise Christianity are already pretty low, and the young generation has no interest in it now like the older middle aged population.

Christianity will still be around for a good while yet, but it will start declining rapidly in the developed world.

Greek mythology was religion thousands of years ago and Christianity will follow. Circle of life.

Religion as an 'thing' won't go anywhere. Unfortunately.

People are still makin' the shyte up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_religious_movements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

dpofloinn wrote: »
    It'll survive away grand it has survived 2000 years of wars,schisms,reformations blah blah etc etc.

I think the internet and development of mass / rapid communication of people from around the world has lead to a decline in religion because people are readily able to explore the idea and educate themselves.

I can't see anybody going to church in Ireland within 100 years - sadly not duing our lifetime.

That's if we don't wipe ourselves out etc. The likes of impoverished India, Africa and S. America will probably always rely on religion due to a lack of education and the promise that it offers them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Relgion being one of the most powerful force of good in this planet, and Christianity being one of the most wide spread and globally diverse elements of it, especially in the developing countries like China - how about in answer to OP's question : judgement day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think the internet and development of mass / rapid communication of people from around the world has lead to a decline in religion because people are readily able to explore the idea and educate themselves.

I can't see anybody going to church in Ireland within 100 years - sadly not duing our lifetime.

That's if we don't wipe ourselves out etc. The likes of impoverished India, Africa and S. America will probably always rely on religion due to a lack of education and the promise that it offers them.

Sir ,

Your second paragraph ? What in the name of Jesus does that mean ?

Manach wrote: »
    Relgion being one of the most powerful force of good in this planet, and Christianity being one of the most wide spread and globally diverse elements of it, especially in the developing countries like China - how about in answer to OP's question : judgement day.

Must. Bite. Tongue.

Threads. Elsewhere. For. This. Stuff.

:P

Is this gonna be a sequel to 2012?

Cos that was crap

endacl wrote: »
    Must. Bite. Tongue.

Speachless as well as clueless?

_Redzer_ wrote: »

Cos that was crap

The year, or the movie?

Cos that was crap
    Totally agree on that last point..

The year, or the movie?

Both

But if I repent on my deathbed I'm fine right ?

That's gotta be good for a year or two of raping and pillaging because I love abit of that me.

Pesky religion eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Control me, with fairy tales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

P.S. Like this post or my peaceful God will burn you for all eternity etc (or not)

Get lost on the way to facebook??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

We need more jam threads, not more religion threads.

That's gotta be good for a year or two of raping and pillaging because I love abit of that me.

Pesky religion eh.

Ah, you'll be grand. Make the odd offering to Odin and you can rape and pillage away. It's positively encouraged in fact. The afterlife is a bit crap though if you're not into mead.

Choose your god wisely. The devil's in the small print.

Must. Bite. Tongue.

In fairness AH is all about random topics and views aaaaaand general nuttery so if we can have threads about eating a banana one religion thread can't hurt with everyone's views.

We need more jam threads, not more religion threads.

Agreed. The internet is jammed with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Sir ,

Your second paragraph ? What in the name of Jesus does that mean ?

That neither of us will be alive in 2114 :eek:

Unless you've perfected cryogenic stasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hopefully long long more it's a pleasure to mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Powerful force of good? Could equally be argued religion has been nothing but a discriminatory force holding back humanity from further scientific advancement. Only 31.4% of people in China consider themselves religious, of which only 12% are Christians (.314*.12 = 3.768% of China). Any prediction when judgement day will be? I stopped paying attention after the first 10-20 or so false predictions I heard, I could do with an update.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother, that person is a piece of sh*it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Religion as an 'thing' won't go anywhere. Unfortunately.

People are still makin' the shyte up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_religious_movements

Check out these maniacs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopimism

• Advertisement

hju6 wrote: »
    Control me, with fairy tales
    I think there is a LGBT forum ->.

Pesky religion eh.
    Only if truely repentant - and somehow one does not think that pre-planning counts.

Check out these maniacs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopimism

Feck. A church for teenagers. "It shall be free because I want it to be free".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That neither of us will be alive in 2114 :eek:

Unless you've perfected cryogenic stasis.

Cryogenic stasis ? Don't come round here with your new fangled religion.

I think there is a LGBT forum ->.

I'm a fairytale? :confused:

Ya wouldn't wanna be tellin' stories to yer kiddies about what I get up to on a Saturday night, that's for sure! :pac:

Only if truely repentant - and somehow one does not think that pre-planning counts.

Funny it doesn't say that in the bible.

It does however say a man made from dust and a woman made from his rib were tricked my a talking snake into eating a dodgy apple and now all of mankind is suffering for it.

Ya know, if you want to be factual and all by religious standards.

• Advertisement

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Powerful force of good? Could equally be argued religion has been nothing but a discriminatory force holding back humanity from further scientific advancement.
    Re: China, compared to the previuos hard line communist regime in China that killed about 20M citizens in their great leap foward.
    Re: Progress, quite alot of Catholic sciencists were historical innovators + an interesting read "God's philosophers", which shows that not ideal but the Church during the middle ages laid the foundation for the scientific revolution and that the Europe of that time was not some backwater but a hive of intellectual activity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Oblong Gator

I thought Judgment Day was the sequal?

Turtwig wrote: »
    Hopefully long long more it's a pleasure to mod.
    Even I think it can at times be a gateway to time off purgatory.

Re: China, compared to the previuos hard line communist regime in China that killed about 20M citizens in their great leap foward.
    Re: Progress, quite alot of Catholic sciencists were historical innovators + an interesting read "God's philosophers", which shows that not ideal but the Church during the middle ages laid the foundation for the scientific revolution and that the Europe of that time was not some backwater but a hive of intellectual activity.

Funny now how about 97% of scientists are atheist. It's not coincidental.

[QUOTE=Supergurrier;90612363

Ya know, if you want to be factual and all by religious standards.[/QUOTE]
    Odd you quote the Bible, in an attempt to be factual yet clearly blow past the teaching tradition and Magisterium of the past 2000 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There are still people who believe in homoeopathy. Despite all the evidence in the world against it, and despite it flying completely in the face of common sense. And yet there are people who believe in it.

Religion will decline, but I imagine there will always be a group of people who want to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually it's more a 60:40 split. You're confusing the national academy of scientists roster with the global scientist roster

Knasher wrote: »
    There are still people who believe in homoeopathy. Despite all the evidence in the world against it, and despite it flying completely in the face of common sense. And yet there are people who believe in it.

Religion will decline, but I imagine there will always be a group of people who want to believe.

'Who need to believe', I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Really? I didn't know that. Is that real? Genuine question.

Odd you quote the Bible, in an attempt to be factual yet clearly blow past the teaching tradition and Magisterium of the past 2000 years.

The tradition on censorship/burning/banning of books seen as against religions.

Shows a lot about how confident a religious order is about its past that it tries to rewrite its own history .

Control the education system control what the next generation learns/control their moral code and if you opt out shurre your non Christian child can be buried out in the open like an animal if they die.

Nice stuff this religion

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Atheism to die out...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/steve-jones-at-the-hay-festival-falling-birth-rates-in-europe-and-rising-ones-in-africa-could-spell-decline-in-atheism-9436397.html
    A combination of surging population growth in Christian Africa and population decline in Europe could signal the decline of atheism, a world-renowned geneticist has claimed.

According to Steve Jones, a professor in genetics at University College London’s Galton Laboratory, population decline in religiously sceptical European countries combined with rapid population growth in central Africa could see a resurgence of Christianity, leaving sceptics in a minority.
    Speaking at the Hay Literary Festival he argued that religion grows rapidly during large population booms, particularly in poorer countries, while in Europe the Christian faith is stagnating as birth rates drop below the levels required to avoid population decline.
    Prof Jones, who is one of the world’s experts on the genetics of snails and regularly appears on television and radio, pointed out that Britain was the only Christian country in Europe that is “replacing its population”
    In comments at the festival reported by the Telegraph, he said, “We atheists sometimes congratulate ourselves that the incidence of religious belief is going down.”
    “But religious people have more children,” he added. “Where are people having the most children? It’s in the tropics and in Africa. It’s clearly the case that the future will involve an increase in religious populations and a decrease in scepticism. We may not need more scientists but more theologists.”

The non religious are more likely to see abortion as an option too so they are helping to eradicate themselves slowly with lesser children.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The tradition on censorship/burning/banning of books seen as against religions.

Shows a lot about how confident a religious order is about its past that it tries to rewrite its own history .

Control the education system control what the next generation learns/control their moral code and if you opt out shurre your non Christian child can be buried out in the open like an animal if they die.

Nice stuff this religion

Yeah it would be better to be illiterate, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

How long more has Christianity (Religion) git

Probably a lot longer that you have git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Chucken wrote: »
    Really? I didn't know that. Is that real? Genuine question.

It's actually 93% of the National Academy of Sciences.

This also came up when I googled it
    If every #atheist left the USA, it would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences but less than 1% of the prison population.

Which is interesting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement