Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court approves force feeding.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Oryx wrote: »
    Doctors don't torture they treat.

One word! "Symphysiotomy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Valmont wrote: »
    It is their own choice as it's their life. I try to stop people all the time with my work with the Samaritans but I stop trying to stop them when it involves locking them up and 'treating' them against their express wishes. The right to end one's life is sacrosanct in my opinion, even if I hope nobody does it and that someone helps them to choose otherwise.

She is not trying to die though. She is trying to be thin. The disease means she doesn't understand that she's inadvertently killing herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

yes they should, they rob to get the money to pay the dealers, as unfortunate as it is they either rob and pay up or get beaten or killed, it will continue while the illegal drugs are illegal

What makes you think legalising it would change that? Do you think legal drugs would be cheaper? Why exactly do you think people won't become junkies on legal heroin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hotale.com wrote: »
    As sad as the situation is, it's her life, and it's her choice.

She won't snap out of it without some serious psychiatric aid.

That is the thing they can force feed her all they want but unless they treat the unerlining cause then it is usless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

yes they should, they rob to get the money to pay the dealers, as unfortunate as it is they either rob and pay up or get beaten or killed, it will continue while the illegal drugs are illegal

There is a reason why some drugs are illegal but for another thread the rights or wrongs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Ive never understood this sort of thing

the girl dosnt want to eat. Thats her choice. If it results in her death then its her own fault. Leave her at it, let her die and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

nc19 wrote: »
    Ive never understood this sort of thing

That's patently obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

I don't understand how some people feel that she should be allowed to continue to starve herself which she is only doing because of her mental illness. She has the potential to be treated and eventually lead a full and happy life.

Of course she would not want to be force fed and can articulately say so, firstly who would and secondly it will take away her control over food/eating which is what anorexia is all about, control. It is not necessarily all about being thin and is not a death wish.

Committing suicide is another thing, obviously you should try everything to help a person through the depression leading them to that solution. No one would stand back and watch a person jump from a bridge or take an overdose.

Everyone should have autonomy over their bodies I agree but when their mind becomes warped by a mental illness, that's when someone needs to step in and help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

This is what anorexia does to a person. She can be intelligent and still make irrational decisions. These decisions are dictated by her psychiatric condition.
    Anorexia doesn't do anything. Anorexia is the name we give to the behaviour of self-starvation, nothing more, nothing less. Considering the best therapy for 'treating' anorexia is motivational therapy, which involves convincing the person of the benefits of eating, affirming their power to choose to eat, respecting their autonomy, we have to accept that saying 'her decisions are dictated by her psychiatric condition' is nothing more than vacuous and dehumanising psycho-babble.

Of course there are many unsubstantiated theories about which parts of the brain (the insula is the current fashionable focus of neuroscientific research) cause a person to self-starve, but it tells you all you need to know that the only way to 'cure' a person of anorexia is to sit down and convince them to choose to eat again.

hairycakes wrote: »
    I don't understand how some people feel that she should be allowed to continue to starve herself which she is only doing because of her mental illness. She has the potential to be treated and eventually lead a full and happy life.

Of course she would not want to be force fed and can articulately say so, firstly who would and secondly it will take away her control over food/eating which is what anorexia is all about, control. It is not necessarily all about being thin and is not a death wish.

Committing suicide is another thing, obviously you should try everything to help a person through the depression leading them to that solution. No one would stand back and watch a person jump from a bridge or take an overdose.

Everyone should have autonomy over their bodies I agree but when their mind becomes warped by a mental illness, that's when someone needs to step in and help them.

She's been in treatment since the age of 12. Maybe she can't be cured. How long should the force feeding continue?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

She's been in treatment since the age of 12. Maybe she can't be cured. How long should the force feeding continue?

If she was my daughter I would not sit by and let her die.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

Exactly. It is easy to be objective and detached when all you know is that woman aged 26 is dying of anorexia.
    If her name and face was known or you saw a video of her or you were intimately connected to her you would have different attitude entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    So you want the woman to starve to death then? :mad:

She has mental capacity and it has been explained what the consequences will be,Force feeding is a barbaric practice and of course no one wants to see someone starve to death but i think the state is overstepping the mark here.
    Terrible situation but every other non violent measure should be used instead of this.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    She has mental capacity and it has been explained what the consequences will be,Force feeding is a barbaric practice and of course no one wants to see someone starve to death but i think the state is overstepping the mark here.
    Terrible situation but every other non violent measure should be used instead of this.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

Leaving a woman to starve to death is far worse than sticking a tube down her nose to feed her and keep her alive. Anyone can see that.

That's patently obvious.

Bleedings fecking hearts

its people like you that perpetuate this type of behaviour. People like you desparte to be seen as a saviour giving the girl the very thing she craves, attention.

if she doesnt want to eat why should she?

So if a person had depression and tried to kill themselves it's their own choice and we shouldnt try to stop it?

No we shouldn't

if I was so inclined and made the tough decision and some bleeding heart god botherer stopped me and locked me up against my wishes I would not be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Derrydoc

Bleedings fecking hearts

its people like you that perpetuate this type of behaviour. People like you desparte to be seen as a saviour giving the girl the very thing she craves, attention.

if she doesnt want to why should she?

Are people with depression craving attention? People with schizophrenia? People with Bi-polar disorder? People with lung cancer, heart disease or kidney failure? All of these are conditions that people have little to no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Says who? She is an adult, she has he right to make whatever choices she wants to about her own body.

And here we get to the nub of the defence. Is there no depravity that the pro-abortion crowd won't support to ensure their nhillistic, sociopathic pro death stance?

conorhal wrote: »
    And here we get to the nub of the defence. Is there no depravity that the pro-abortion crowd won't support to ensure their nhillistic, sociopathic pro death stance?

Who said anything about abortion???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    Exactly. It is easy to be objective and detached when all you know is that woman aged 26 is dying of anorexia.
    If her name and face was known or you saw a video of her or you were intimately connected to her you would have different attitude entirely.
    how do you know, maybe if someone has an opinion they stick to it, but yeah, come out with the old "if it was this and that you would change your mind" drivel

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

Derrydoc wrote: »
    Are people with depression craving attention? People with schizophrenia? People with Bi-polar disorder? People with lung cancer, heart disease or kidney failure? All of these are conditions that people have little to no control over.

I cant answer yes to this the same as you cant say no

some people are looking for attention some are not.

Can you say for sure this girl isnt?

she is the eldest child in the family. For all we know she was not happy sharing her parents attention whan her siblings came along and this was her way of keeping the focus on her

she is the eldest child in the family. For all we know she was not happy sharing her parents attention whan her siblings came along and this was her way of keeping the focus on her

If for arguments sake with agree that this girl is just seeking attention then the fact that she is willing to die to get it is just another indication of how warped her thinking is.

If for arguments sake weagree that this girl is just seeking attention then the fact that she is willing to die to get it is just another indication of how warped her thinking is.

How long would you force feed her for? Would you restrain her too so she doesn't run away?

If for arguments sake weagree that this girl is just seeking attention then the fact that she is willing to die to get it is just another indication of how warped her thinking is.

Forcing her to do something against her will will not fix her thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm not quite sure what abortion has to do with this but why is not forcing somebody who clearly has no further desire continue living to do so in any way depraved, nihilistic or sociopathic? In my eyes it would be quite the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

better force fed then dead
    That'd be great on a tshirt

Forcing her to do something against her will will not fix her thinking

No it won't however it will keep her alive long enough for the appropriate therapy to be delivered, force feeding is a last resort for anorexia patients.

No it won't however it will keep her alive long enough for the appropriate therapy to be delivered, force feeding is a last resort for anorexia patients.

Its been 13 yrs....

i think the quacks have got their monies worth out of her. Maybe they could think about magically fixing her all of a sudden

Its been 13 yrs....

i think the quacks have got their monies worth out of her. Maybe they could think about magically fixing her all of a sudden

I doubt the "quacks" are motivated by monetary gain. The natural history of Anorexia is of relapses followed by slow recoveries this girl will not have been starving herself for 13 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Anorexia doesn't do anything. Anorexia is the name we give to the behaviour of self-starvation, nothing more, nothing less. Considering the best therapy for 'treating' anorexia is motivational therapy, which involves convincing the person of the benefits of eating, affirming their power to choose to eat, respecting their autonomy, we have to accept that saying 'her decisions are dictated by her psychiatric condition' is nothing more than vacuous and dehumanising psycho-babble.

Of course there are many unsubstantiated theories about which parts of the brain (the insula is the current fashionable focus of neuroscientific research) cause a person to self-starve, but it tells you all you need to know that the only way to 'cure' a person of anorexia is to sit down and convince them to choose to eat again.

It is not just the behaviour, it is a fully fledged disorder that includes decisions based on the sufferers skewed self perception of themselves. Not dissimilar to the delusion a schizophrenic holds, believing the unreality with conviction despite evidence to the contrary. No one is arguing against therapy, but this is impossible without this intervention as a last resort. What is she going to survive on to get to the therapy stage? Thin air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

It is not just the behaviour, it is a fully fledged disorder that includes decisions based on the sufferers skewed self perception of themselves. Not dissimilar to the delusion a schizophrenic holds, believing the unreality with conviction despite evidence to the contrary. No one is arguing against therapy, but this is impossible without this intervention as a last resort. What is she going to survive on to get to the therapy stage? Thin air?
    Therapy will only work if she wants therapy; force-feeding her won't make that happen but only prolong her suffering. And I can't condone such a procedure forced upon a young women because she might reconsider changing her habits and eating patterns.

There is no happy outcome when you have a case of this kind. Let them be and they will from starvation, which is truly tragic. Force a tube down their throat against their will and you are effectively torturing and dehumanising them. Unfortunately we just have to accept that sometimes, despite our best efforts to convince someone of the error of their ways, we have to let them get on with it out of respect for their own self-determination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Therapy will only work if she wants therapy; force-feeding her won't make that happen but only prolong her suffering. And I can't condone such a procedure forced upon a young women because she might reconsider changing her habits and eating patterns.

There is no happy outcome when you have a case of this kind. Let them be and they will from starvation, which is truly tragic. Force a tube down their throat against their will and you are effectively torturing and dehumanising them. Unfortunately we just have to accept that sometimes, despite our best efforts to convince someone of the error of their ways, we have to let them get on with it out of respect for their own self-determination.

That's a fairly loose definition of torture (in this context) but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Eh...? This has nothing to do with abortion, I simply don't support forced medical intervention when the patient has clearly refused it. Life saving or not.

Advertisement