Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ed Byrne makes two audience members faint

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I have very little time for modern comedians. Miss the likes of Bob Monkhouse, Dave Allen and Frank Carson. Proper comedians.

Don't wanna hear about some cnuts faulty toaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

beakerjoe wrote: »
    My problem is I don't like ED personally, his look and smugness get under my skin. These lads mentioned above aren't my cup of tea either but id easily watch these guys as they seem more likeable. None of the make me double up in fits of giggles (well Peter Kay did in Phoenix Nights) but I don't hate them. Ed Byrne just comes off an arrogant dickhead with an undeserved sense of accomplishment any time i see him.

Do you know him personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I have very little time for modern comedians. Miss the likes of Bob Monkhouse, Dave Allen and Frank Carson. Proper comedians.

Don't wanna hear about some cnuts faulty toaster.

What should they talk about?

Where's me washboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Do you know him personally?

Ive seen enough of his stand up and appearances on panel shows to say the personality he portrays on stage is not for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Celebrity? Thickos?
    God, you're really reaching now.
    Have you ever actually seen any of his proper stand up shows. He's actually a pretty good comedian. Not the best but definitely not deserving of this bile.
    I wonder where it comes from.

He's not a good comedian...the only thing funny about him is his haircut which also makes him look like a nonce.

Anybody who thinks he's funny is indeed a thicko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

chopper6 wrote: »
    He's not a good comedian...the only thing funny about him is his haircut which also makes him look like a nonce.

I can't argue with that logic.

Birroc wrote: »
    I can't argue with that logic.

I used to go out with a girl whose sister had similar hair to him...we rechristened her Ed Byrne untill she grew so unhappy she cut it all off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

What comedians do you like? Your abrasive and cutting style of post reminds me in many ways of David McSavage.

What comedians do you like? Your abrasive and cutting style of post reminds me in many ways of David McSavage.

I like that fat guy who's always falling over....what's his name...pretends to be a woman....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I like that fat guy who's always falling over....what's his name...pretends to be a woman....

Dawn French ?

Strituck wrote: »
    Dawn French ?

Thats the one...or the Sea Monster as she likes to be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

What should they talk about?

Where's me washboard?

Don't talk about anything. Just bang out the funnies.

Actually hand on heart i cant think of a single irish comedian that i find funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

what's yer mans name that does the one-liners? Stewart Francis? now he's good...
    no bullsh!t, just jokes and silly humour.

Ed byrne... i literally, actually just shuddered at even typing his name again.

HOW!? WHY!? he makes me cringe so bad, i'd nearly pull a redner for him when i see him on the telly, just knowing he's going to be the annoying one that nobody wants on a panel, just ruining their jokes, and trying his best to get his few minutes on the telly.

pundy wrote: »
    what's yer mans name that does the one-liners? Stewart Francis? now he's good...
    no bullsh!t, just jokes and silly humour.

Ed byrne... i literally, actually just shuddered at even typing his name again.

HOW!? WHY!? he makes me cringe so bad, i'd nearly pull a redner for him when i see him on the telly, just knowing he's going to be the annoying one that nobody wants on a panel, just ruining their jokes, and trying his best to get his few minutes on the telly.

Annoying as he is he's not a patch on that unfunny Nordie Kevin McAleer.

there used to be a show called Don't Feed The Gondolas on rte which was a rip-off of have i got news for you and amazingly it was actually quite funny.

Fatman Brendan O'connor started out on it as did Sean Moncrief and it actually looked like the show could be a success..what happened? They get McAleer on to derail the show with his whinging "surrealist humour",waffling and prattling on in his nordie whine til the whole show became an unfunny mess and had to be axed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Well that really depends on whose cancer it is.
    Have you ever actually seen any of his stand up shows, they're bloody good and the huge crowds of people laughing the whole way through them would agree with me.
    I was taken along to one of his shows in the Olympia a few years back. 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

pundy wrote: »
    hahaha maybe he's bad, but... i dunno... have you ever REALLY seen/listened to Ed Byrne though - he's like the guy in everyones office/school that always has to have the last say in a joke... points out the obvious a LOT and ends up ruining what would be the joke from another comedian. he is especially annoying when he pops up on a panel show.... UUUGH he's so cringe.

Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Ed Byrne is everyone's unfunny cousin/ sister's boyfriend/ old college mate. We all know an Ed Byrne (complete with the accent, oh God, the accent)

I'm convinced people only go to his shows because they think they recognize him.

Ed Byrne is everyone's unfunny cousin/ sister's boyfriend/ old college mate. We all know an Ed Byrne (complete with the accent, oh God, the accent)

I'm convinced people only go to his shows because they think they recognize him.

Thats just it...everybody knows somebody like him and i know twenty people who are funnier than him but if you're not moving in the right circles in rte etc you'll get nowhere.

Look at that complete are des Bishop....his shtick is to insult various subsets of irish people in an approximation of thier regional accents..he's a mean-spirited ,spoilt american with a superiority complex yet poor thick paddy irshman laps it up.

If he went to Harlam and started doing impressions of Black americans he's be shot dead in ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is he the one with the blond hair or a pony tail?

Either way I don't like him.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Is he the one with the blond hair or a pony tail?

Either way I don't like him.

He's got a generic woman's hairdo...the sort of thing that would get him kicked to death in the street or make him very popular in prison.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think Ed Byrne is very under rated. Probably one of the best of the Irish comedians around anyway. Pedantic and Whimsical is a great DVD.

cournioni wrote: »
    I think Ed Byrne is very under rated. Probably one of the best of the Irish comedians around anyway. Pedantic and Whimsical is a great DVD.

That says something for the quality of irish comedians around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Ed Byrne isn't as utterly horrendous as some people here are making out. He suffers because he has a "weedy student smart-arse" head.

It's on par with women doing standup. They're instantly on a loser solely because a lot of the audience don't want to laugh. Sort of a get back in your box syndrome.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Ed Byrne isn't as utterly horrendous as some people here are making out. He suffers because he has a "weedy student smart-arse" head.

It's on par with women doing standup. They're instantly on a loser solely because a lot of the audience don't want to laugh. Sort of a get back in your box syndrome.

Humour is a subjective thing...i certainly wouldn't have a problem with a comedian because she happens to be a woman or look like a student or whatever...i do have a problem with somebody very obviously unfunny masquerading as a comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

mock week isnt the same since frankie boyle left

Now there's a comic genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

folan wrote: »
    i like Ed Byrne.

awful comedian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

awful comedian

Agreed, It's mostly just sarcasm, scuttery drivel. I have never laughed at his "comedy". Him and that other Tommy Tiernan fella, just rubbish.

Agreed, It's mostly just sarcasm, scuttery drivel. I have never laughed at his "comedy". Him and that other Tommy Tiernan fella, just rubbish.

Tommy Tiernan seems reduced to shouting and roaring whilst wearing a filthy hat and a dirty beard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Tommy Tiernan seems reduced to shouting and roaring whilst wearing a filthy hat and a dirty beard.

The crazy thing is, he sells out stadiums in the US, not theatres, feckin' stadiums! ?!

The crazy thing is, he sells out stadiums in the US, not theatres, feckin' stadiums! ?!

I will never understand the appeal of that clown.

Apart from everything else he uses the stalwart of creasing up in the middle of telling a joke...it looks bad enough when suppsed amatuers do it but he's an established "name".

An absolute fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Thats just it...everybody knows somebody like him and i know twenty people who are funnier than him but if you're not moving in the right circles in rte etc you'll get nowhere.

Look at that complete are des Bishop....his shtick is to insult various subsets of irish people in an approximation of thier regional accents..he's a mean-spirited ,spoilt american with a superiority complex yet poor thick paddy irshman laps it up.

If he went to Harlam and started doing impressions of Black americans he's be shot dead in ten minutes.

Des Bishop is hilarious. I usually find it's the narrow minded perception of him as a 'foreigner' that clouds people's views of his stand-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The "Controversy" section of his wikepdia page takes quite some time to read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Now there's a comic genius.

Not a fan of Ed Byrne or Tiernan by any stretch. Boyle, there was a time when I thought he was ok, but after the remarks about Katie Prices kid, I just thought, ah, that's a step to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

ShagNastii wrote: »

He suffers because he is not funny simples.

des bishop has been telling the same **** the past ten years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

I like Ed Byrne too , yes he's not always funny , but when he's on form he's as good as most out there , why as Irish people are we the first to put down our own ?

on another point met his father a few years ago , got chatting to him in the wesht of Ireland , and he's an absolute gent. a proper Dub!

and no I'm not ed byrnes mother :)

I like Ed Byrne too , yes he's not always funny , but when he's on form he's as good as most out there , why as Irish people are we the first to put down our own ?

on another point met his father a few years ago , got chatting to him in the wesht of Ireland , and he's an absolute gent. a proper Dub!

and no I'm not ed byrnes mother :)

Cant agree, never thought he was funny. Just out of interest, whats a "proper Dub" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Cant agree, never thought he was funny. Just out of interest, whats a "proper Dub" ?

He probably means Old Mr Brennan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

knew I'd get that one :) , well he was a straight shooter told if like it was and there was a Ronnie Drew air about him .

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Des Bishop is hilarious. I usually find it's the narrow minded perception of him as a 'foreigner' that clouds people's views of his stand-up.

Or it could be the fact that he is just not funny. How many times can you bang on about the fuuckin immersion. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that he is not Irish born.

If your parents and grandparents were all born in Dublin

Dylan moran , bill hicks , eddie izzard louis ck and frankie boyle are my favourite comedians . haven't much time for these channel 4 comedians or these comedy quiz show types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's Ironic that Ed Byrne's "Ironic Alainis Morrisette Joke" is his only mildly decent joke ever.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's Ironic that Ed Byrne's "Ironic Alainis Morrisette Joke" is his only mildly decent joke ever.

That's not ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I like ed byrne too. he hs one of those faces that looks like hes thinking genuinely bonkes, hilarious thoughts. Also thought he was good in RAT. when i looked hi up on youtube he had v little material uploaded.

Advertisement