Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 BMW F11 (5 series touring) Sound system upgrade

Options
  • 17-11-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Very dull standard stereo system as you may know. No tweeters even from factory.

So we upgraded the front speakers with Gladen 201, added original tweeters grills, updated rear speakers with Gladen MC100 speakers.
    Added 1 x Mosconi 120.4, class AB, 4 channels amplifier to drive each corner and a Gladen 125.2, 2 channels, to drive the under seat woofers.

Those amps are far superior to the JL Audio 600/6 and other class D ones I see too often used in BMW audio builds, that includes TOP HIFI amps from factory which are class D too. The difference in terms of clarity and details is night and day.
    You discover sounds and instruments you can not hear with class D amps.

Finally the car was coded to HIFI to flatten the EQ curve

The kits
    DSC_0077.JPG

The car
    DSC_0084.JPG
    DSC_0085.JPG

Doing the doors
    DSC_0091.JPG

Headliner speakers
    DSC_0094.JPG

Fuse for the battery - 4GA, 80 amps.
    DSC_0096.JPG

Doors back together, tweeter grills about to be installed
    DSC_0097.JPG

Under sear woofers
    DSC_0100.JPG

Running 4 channels loom from the radio. Keep in mind the car has no amp from factory.
    DSC_0107.JPG

New Gladen MC100 in place
    DSC_0119.JPG

Doing the amps now
    DSC_0142.JPG

Amps done.
    DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG

Car coded to HIFI
    DSC_0149.JPG

Thanks for looking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Nice work.

Any thoughts yet on the sound, particularly the under seat subs.?

I want to do something similar to the Mazda 6, as the standard setup is really poor.
    Are these ones particularly BM fit only, or are they generic cabs ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Nice work. I would love to undertake an upgrade along those lines. Maybe my next car.

Roughly what sort of cost in total would such an upgrade be?

Advertisement