Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub bands Unite !!

• 08-02-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Does anyone here have an opinion regarding the minimum fee a good pub band should be able to charge? Its a subject i have never seen addressed here in Ireland , even though when i lived in other countries there always seemed to be an unspoken understanding that one band would not be undercutting another etc.
    The venues in Ireland get away with murder as far as i am concerned , especially during the Boom time of the last few years. And now i am hearing more and more of bands being asked to cut their money, sometime by 50%, just to get the gig. That is bad!!

Rusty:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Called competition and free market.

Also what you're proposing is highly illegal...ask car dealers and the LVA who were prosecuted for this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Also in the last recession the fee midweek was a few free pints .

If you're that good the fees will come.

Also while i'm at it bands should learn the art of enteraining , not just playing good music.

By that i mean drama,timing, suprise, comment, comedy,dance or moves,and empathy with your relevant audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

There's nothing worse than looking at a band thats technically spot on, but are a collection of shoe-gazers. Sorry, there actually is, a band who have all comedy/moves/etc and just cant play. :p

+1 on the fees thing though. when i started out about 16 yrs ago, i played for free for two years, the band i fell in with bought me my first bass. To me it was more about getting out and enjoying the music rather than turning a few bob. This may have been because i was only 15, but anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

biggus wrote: »
    Called competition and free market.

Also what you're proposing is highly illegal...ask car dealers and the LVA who were prosecuted for this .

And what was i proposing then? i think you may have misunderstood my comments. I was simply pointing out that pubs have exploited musicians for years in my opinion-and i am entitled to my opinion by the way
    theres nothing illegal about commenting on that so lighten up a bit

Rusty

Also while i'm at it bands should learn the art of enteraining , not just playing good music.

By that i mean drama,timing, suprise, comment, comedy,dance or moves,and empathy with your relevant audience.

Thats a good point and the musicians who think otherwise are usually left on the fence to contemplate their nice shoes. Its ALL about entertainment and NOT about impressing their fellow musicians with the lost chord etc
    Not enough bands take heed of this advice I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alanbb

Sorry, there actually is, a band who have all comedy/moves/etc and just cant play. :p

Yeah, there called Fight Like Apes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I definitely agree about the entertaining factor with bands.musicians should be good at their instruments but also have personality aswell.
    Im trying to get a good band together at the moment but am finding it difficult to find normal easygoing musicians with abit of personality.ive met a few people on here who were had no personality or charisma that is needed in a band IMHO.

Dont ever remember playing for free pints thankfully. in my experience pubs do ok in recession times as people still need to relax and forget about the bad times outside the door.

Advertisement