Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering

Options
  • 01-02-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I'm interested in studying Engineering in university, however I do not do physics, chemistry, applied maths, or tech graph at leaving cert level.
    I do enjoy HL maths though,
    Will I struggle?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

oktplz wrote: »
    I'm interested in studying Engineering in university, however I do not do physics, chemistry, applied maths, or tech graph at leaving cert level.
    I do enjoy HL maths though,
    Will I struggle?

Is physics a required LC class for Engineering, no?

Anyway I studied Mechanical Engineering, I did physics but not chemistry or applied maths. If you do higher level maths and you're reasonably good at it I'd say you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Is physics a required LC class for Engineering, no?

Anyway I studied Mechanical Engineering, I did physics but not chemistry or applied maths. If you do higher level maths and you're reasonably good at it I'd say you'll be ok.

Physics isn't required, all you need is one Science subject. I'm going to say you do Biology.
    A HC3 is required for Engineering at most of the colleges around the country.

Doing Physics / Chemistry / App Maths would help however you will be taught most of the same stuff plus more in your first year in the course.
    Don't worry about struggling, if you ask for help you will get it also there are going to be plenty of people like yourself which didn't do Physics, Chemistry, nor App Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Having Physics or Applied Math would be advantageous for Mechanical or Electronic Engineering. Chemistry, for the Chemical Engineers. Biology, I can't comment on but I'd imagine of some use in Chemical Engineering.

You don't strictly need any of them or Higher Level Maths at an A standard, as in First Year, you'll repeat nearly all the basics. Even continuing somewhat into Second Year. Having them going in just gives you a better base and makes the first 1.5 years a little handier as you are not learning things new.

That said however, if you are interested in Engineering, you'd want to enjoy one or more of them. Not be passionate but you'd want to not detest Math or Physics, as they crop up a lot. Its literally the foundation of everything you do. You'd want to be comfortable with numbers and the basic concepts of the Math course. If its all over your head, I'd be sure you are ready to apply yourself. You are largely ignore Chemistry if you have no desire to pursue Chemical Engineering, the Chemical concepts in Electronic are strictly limited (Semi-conductors etc)

There is plenty of help available, UCD is great for that I have to say and you'll find plenty of people in the same boat, but Engineering can be a tough grind if the math-sey / science-y thing doesn't rock your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice! I think I'n going to go for it as I do really like maths, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I did Physics and Chemistry for the Leaving Cert myself and they were helpful in first year, but really it's more of a bonus if you have done it than a detriment if you haven't. The first year physics and chemistry modules they do are mainly to get everyone up to speed, they really just tend to go over the stuff you do in the LC in less detail (especially for chemistry).

• Advertisement
Advertisement