Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duel nationality british/ irish

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

hiya cant seem to find a solid answer, read loads of posts and even more confused

i have uk passport, but live in ireland for over 10 years and have irish mother and grandparents and my kids have irish passports

can i apply for a irish passport?

do i have to inform uk of 2nd passport?

do i have to give up my uk passport or do they allow duel nationality?

thankyou x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

fairly sure of the following:
    trixeybell wrote: »
    can i apply for a irish passport?

yes

do i have to inform uk of 2nd passport?

no

do i have to give up my uk passport or do they allow duel nationality?

no, both countries allow dual citizenship

thankyou x

get the application form for Irish passport in your local post office, it's quite clear on that who is eligible
    call the british embassy and you'll have those other answers confirmed in a few mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 trixeybell

ahh thats great thankyou for reply. ill do that tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kaner64

I was born in the UK with Irish mother and grandparents. I have always had an Irish passport. You will need a copy of your mother's birth cert to send with your application. I was always led to believe that you are not supposed to hold passports for 2 different nationalities at the same time. I live in Ireland, but my brother who has always lived in the UK and travels extensively uses an Irish passport because he says that generally he gets a better welcome abroad than he would with a British passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I do stand corrected but I am under the impression that any person born in the UK prior to 1948 (Republic of Ireland Act) to an Irish parent is automatically entitled to Irish citizenship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any person born to an Irish parent is automatically an Irish citizen period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

McCrack wrote: »
    I do stand corrected but I am under the impression that any person born in the UK prior to 1948 (Republic of Ireland Act) to an Irish parent is automatically entitled to Irish citizenship

I think you have this upside down, the situation is that anyone born in Ireland prior to 1948 is entitled to a British passport.

If you have an Irish parent then you are entitled to an Irish passport regardless of where or when you were born.

kaner64 wrote: »
    I was always led to believe that you are not supposed to hold passports for 2 different nationalities at the same time.
    Not strictly true, the ban on dual citizenship is the exception rather than the rule, the US for example allows it as do most EU countries.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

coylemj wrote: »
    Not strictly true, the ban on dual citizenship is the exception rather than the rule, the US for example allows it as do most EU countries.....
    Strange, I was under the impression that to become "American" you had to drop your original citizenship.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Strange, I was under the impression that to become "American" you had to drop your original citizenship.

MrP

Not so.........

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Strictly

If you were born in Ireland prior to 1948 and got an English passport would your children also be entitled to an English passport?

• Advertisement

Provided you were male, and took out a British Passport before they were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I had a UK passport for many years through my parents who were born in UK tho I was born in Ireland. Uk allow you to hold two passports but not the Irish authorities.

When my children were born here in Ireland I could not add them to my uk passport - cheaper when they were little than getting their own and meant if on holiday one of us could stay back if child ill etc. Maggie Thatcher changed law in 1980's about handing on citizenship at time of Hong Kong handover to Chinese. In the end I got an Irish passport with my children on it until they were old enough to get their own and let my Uk one expire.

The Irish don't care if you hold 2 passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I had a UK passport for many years through my parents who were born in UK tho I was born in Ireland. Uk allow you to hold two passports but not the Irish authorities.

When my children were born here in Ireland I could not add them to my uk passport - cheaper when they were little than getting their own and meant if on holiday one of us could stay back if child ill etc. Maggie Thatcher changed law in 1980's about handing on citizenship at time of Hong Kong handover to Chinese. In the end I got an Irish passport with my children on it until they were old enough to get their own and let my Uk one expire.

This might explain why your kids couldn't get a UK passport after 1983.
    British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent.
    So you, as the one generation born abroad, got British citizenship by descent which meant that your Irish-born kids did not automatically get it.

Neither the UK nor the Irish authorities prohibit you holding multiple citizenships and passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If one were an EU National, married to an Irish citizen, would I be right in thinking that an Irish passport can be applied for after 5 years?

Or would one have to go through the naturalisation process first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

If one were an EU National, married to an Irish citizen, would I be right in thinking that an Irish passport can be applied for after 5 years?

minister of justice and law reform[deputy dermot ahern]marriage to a irish national does not confer any automate right to enter to reside in the state solely on that basis,....its called reverse discrimination, reverse dicrimination happens when ireland gives their own citizens a treatment that is less favourable than ireland gives to other EU citizens provided by EU laws,...irish law SI 656 of 2006 amended by SI 310 of 2008,... EU directive 2004/38/EC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

getz wrote: »
    minister of justice and law reform[deputy dermot ahern]marriage to a irish national does not confer any automate right to enter to reside in the state solely on that basis,....its called reverse discrimination, reverse dicrimination happens when ireland gives their own citizens a treatment that is less favourable than ireland gives to other EU citizens provided by EU laws,...irish law SI 656 of 2006 amended by SI 310 of 2008,... EU directive 2004/38/EC

No it doesn't, but the EU National would have the right to reside in Ireland (or any other EU state) anyway. The question applied to citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

No it doesn't, but the EU National would have the right to reside in Ireland (or any other EU state) anyway. The question applied to citizenship.
    i must have got it wrong,www.politics.ie/justice/141525-reverse-discrimination-against-irish-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

You'd still have to go through naturalisation. The residency requirements are different for spouses of Irish citizens than for ordinary naturalisation applicants, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Naturalisation.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

I have a UK passport. Living in ireland since 1980 . Married and divorced an Irishman. Both my kids have Irish passports. Can I apply for an Irish passport? My grandparents were born in Ireland but not my parent .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Only Irish citizens can hold Irish Passports, so any National (EU or otherwise) if married to an Irish citizen can apply for naturalisation after 3 years of marriage to an Irish Citizen.

Note, if a married person naturalises, the three year clock for their spouse is from naturalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lobrien27

I have an English passport. When England are out of the EU, can I travel freely to and from Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This post has been deleted.

i doubt if even they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

lobrien27 wrote: »
    I have an English passport. When England are out of the EU, can I travel freely to and from Ireland
    It's likely, but not yet certain, that you will be able to.

Advertisement