Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car accident - claiming personal effects

Options
  • 01-08-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Wondering if someone can give me some guidance.

Had a car accident two weeks ago, other party I'm 99.9% certain will be found to be 100% liable, just waiting for confirmation. I have claimed for my car via my own insurance company and leaving it to them to deal with the other party and claim that cost back. Leaving personal injuries aside as that is more than likely down the road, there are a number of personal effects I need to claim for as they were destroyed in the accident. Also, I had to cancel a holiday as a result, put dogs into kennels etc.

How do I go about claiming for these? Directly with the other party's insurance company? and how do I word it so that it's very clear that this is separate to any future possible personal injury claim? Or should I just hand this part over to my solicitor straight away and leave them deal with it but then they'll probably charge me for that service (!)? I really don't have the energy to deal with it but need to redeem some of these costs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Property damage is usually dealt with quickly, but the other stuff, like the cancelled holiday and kennels would have to be lumped in with the personal injury claim I would imagine, as special damages.

Speak to your solicitor. If your injury is of a minor nature, perhaps it can be closed off quickly.

Advertisement