Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wayleave in Ireland

Options
  • 08-08-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello to all, I am about to purchase a house, access to a well is required, there is a shared pathway to the well and I will own 2/3rd of this, however my solicitor will probably ask me to get a wayleave. This will have to be organised by the current owner and adjoining neighbour, with agreement, how long does a typical wayleave agreement take to put in place?, does anyone know how much they would usually cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The cost depends.

Your solicitor may or may not decide to ask to charge you for the extra work involved. This may depend on what work that he is doing for you already.

If your neighbour is agreeable to giving the wayleave, he could decide to charge you if he wants. That depends; it might be a few hundred or he might not charge you at all. It would not be unreasonable for you to cover your neighbour's legal costs for somewhere in the region of €500 + VAT + outlays (if any).

An engineer will have to mark up the wayleave on a map, so there may be a cost there. If you already have an engineer working for you in relation to planning or otherwise, he may not charge you much or maybe not anything at all. Again, it depends.

You need to check these things. Your solicitor should be able to assist.

The biggest holdup in executing a wayleave is likely to be the marking up of the relevant map. So, depending on the engineer, this could take days or weeks or longer. It shouldn't take long.

EDIT: if you are buying a house and if a wayleave is required, perhaps the seller could be asked to put this in place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David Comerford

Much appreciated,

I will ask my solicitor if it needs to be put in place, I just wanted to get a feel for what is involved time-wise, Your information is much appreciated

Advertisement