Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non-EEA national - when to apply for GNIB card

• 08-08-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19

Hello all,

I hope you are all doing great.

My husband and I moved to Cork in June of this year. I am German and he is Congolese. My husband arrived here with a Visa C for 3 month - accompanying spouse who is an EU citizen.

As we arrived here we went to Garde Immigration because the Immigration Officer at the airport told us so. There they noted something in their system and told us which form we need to apply for the 4EUFam visa. They did not give him a stamp or note in his passport.

We sent the application for Family members of EU nationals who exercise their right to live in Ireland at the end of June and received a notice that we will get the first outcome within 5 weeks.

So far, so good.

Today I saw online that non-EEA nationals need to register with GNIB to get a Immigration Certificate of Registration as well as a GNIB card if they stay longer than 3 month.

(Found here: citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/registration_of_non_eea_nationals_in_ireland.html)

I have not heard of that card or certificate before and I am a bit unsure when to apply.

Right now my husbands visa says he is allowed to stay for three month. It's that's why they didn't let us apply for the certificate as we were there the first time? But on the other hand the officer was aware of the fact that my husband intends to stay because we have been told what form to use to apply for the visa.

Are we suppose to wait until he gets the outcome of the application? That will be a 6 month visa (Stamp 4 I guess) which will be valid until a final decision reg his application has been made. I believe we will need to go to Garda for that anyways to eventually get the stamp in his passport because they already returned it.

I would appreciate if anybody who knows or has heard about the GNIB card could share their experience!

Thanks a lot and I wish you a great weekend!

Advertisement