Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish citizenship/naturalization/ Traffic Fines

• 07-08-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I have recently applied for naturalization and a bit worried about the question: have you ever committed an offence against the laws of Ireland, I have asked a few people for advice and I've been told to answer no as no conviction, I did however go to a solicitor and he advised me to answer yes, which I did.
    I was fined for no parking display, no l plates and driving unaccompanied by a full licence holder while i was still holding a learner permit back then, all this in 2006 and nothing ever since, I did attach the receipts to the application and no social welfare as I came very young, was in college and started working straight off. I am just worried if those offences may affect my legibility, though many people told me that it does not affect, but I read in the papers back then that there were people who got refused citizenship for traffic offences and such, I'm quite worried.
    Is there anyone who was in the same situation as me and what was the outcome? I know I'm' to just be patient and wait for a decision/ response but I' just a bit worried as 16 years in Ireland and never wanted to apply for it before, but now I work in a place where I need to travel for work and it's a pain having to obtain visas every time, so I really want to be Irish.
    Many thanks for your responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

You are lucky you ignored your friends advice and got good legal advice, if you had answered no I would be pretty sure the decision on Naturlisation may have been a no.

But to your question if you applied a few years ago it would have been a defo no with such convictions, under the last Minister for Justice such convictions in mists cases did not effect application, the fact that you have 3 convictions I am assuming all 3 went to court, may cause an issue but the simple answer is wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Casharel

Hi Pro Hoc Vice, thanks a lot for your response. None of those offences went to court, I was fined but no court. I however had to appear in court once for holding a mobile phone while driving but case was stroke out, but I also mentioned this including dates on the application, so I have never been convicted in court only had to pay fines, for offences....so not really sure as you said I guess I will just have to wait and see and it's really frustrating....thanks for your time.Bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Abass

My Irish naturalization application which was put in since 2004 has just been refused after three years due to two times traffic offenses- driving without insurance, vehicle tax, etc. Even though this happened only twice, there are over twenty charges in all, for example for insurance, I was charged for not displaying and not having. I have been banned twice leading to a four year driving ban in 2015. The reason for refusal was due to bad character. I have been in the country for about 18 years. Came as a student and transitioned to work permit. This is a big blow...Any advice on anything to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Take the bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Abass wrote: »
    My Irish naturalization application which was put in since 2004 has just been refused after three years due to two times traffic offenses- driving without insurance, vehicle tax, etc. Even though this happened only twice, there are over twenty charges in all, for example for insurance, I was charged for not displaying and not having. I have been banned twice leading to a four year driving ban in 2015. The reason for refusal was due to bad character. I have been in the country for about 18 years. Came as a student and transitioned to work permit. This is a big blow...Any advice on anything to do?

Go away and come back to us when you've learned to respect the law of the land.

This is a racist comment and must not be allowed on such a forum. I expect moderator to do something about this. This guy is talking ****. You dont know what I do for the country so dont talk out of ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This is a racist comment and must not be allowed on such a forum. I expect moderator to do something about this. This guy is talking ****. You dont know what I do for the country so dont talk out of ignorance.

You were caught (by your own admission) twice without tax and insurance. You put lives in danger on our roads. You hadn't learned from the first time and decided our laws weren't worth keeping.They made the right call!
    What you do for this country is drive illegally and endanger lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Abass wrote:

Your playing the race card ? I've seen no racist comment. No mention of race or creed or whatever no one really gives a crap of who you are or where your from !!!

The fact is you broke the law . Rules of the land are there for a reason . People must obey the law no matter who they are and to be honest no gives a monkey about car tax but no insurance is a big no no

I assume there are terms and conditions , and if an Irish citizen had broken the law and convicted then he/she wouldn't be allowed near the US or Oz .

I've no sympathy for you at all. Do the same thing in the USA, break their laws and your thrown into a county jail until repatriation back to your home country .

Please go and look up the definition of racism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You're the one talking out of ignorance I'm afraid. Driving without insurance is a serious offence. What would you have done if you were in a collision and needed insurance? You did it twice too or were caught twice which means that you were probably at it for a long time without being caught. The naturalisation services don't encourage recividism. Now point out the racism please. Nah, didn't think so. Show a bit of humility and personal responsibility in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Abbas you can't appeal a negative decision with a citizenship application. You can apply again if you want but speaking as someone who worked in the citizenship field, you will be rejected again if you apply within two to three years of the decision.

You have a number of driving charges, over 20? That shows you never learned your lesson the first time...hence the 'not a person of good character' decision.

There was nothing racist in the other poster's post, 'go away and come back' was a polite way of saying f*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Certainly screams bad character to me by your posting style.
    Respect the law of the land and allow 5 years to pass since you were last convicted of anything before you apply again.

People are just racist on this platform, I have to hit the plank. Dont use this as a medium to achieve your hidden agendas. This hypocrisy in Ireland must stop. You smile but double faced. I am not even discussing the traffic offense here, am seeking advice and you are here putting salt into injury. I am probably doing a much better job than you, so stop talking irresponsibly

You sound intimidating and defensive...talking about bad character? Well...examine your posture really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I think the only thing you can do is to wait it out, maybe speak to the solicitor who advised you about how long you need to wait before reapplying?
    as an FYI your not going to get much help telling people they are racist, no one knows where you are from, what race, religion etc you are only that you are not an Irish citizen, admitting to having 20 offenses is something many people would take an issue to even if you were an Irish citizen. see other threads here and in the motoring forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Abass wrote:

What exactly do you do for this country then ? Nearly kill our citizens with your terrible driving is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Abass wrote:
    People are just racist on this platform, I have to hit the plank. Dont use this as a medium to achieve your hidden agendas. This hypocrisy in Ireland must stop. You smile but double faced. I am not even discussing the traffic offense here, am seeking advice and you are here putting salt into injury. I am probably doing a much better job than you, so stop talking irresponsibly

Abass wrote:

People are a lot of things on boards but I've never seen them being racist. If you don't like Irish people you know where the airport is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

sorry OP i just noticed that the person posting about all the Irish being racist etc is a different poster. Apologies.

I cant edit my post. but my advise is the same maybe follow up with the solicitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

sorry OP i just noticed that the person posting about all the Irish being racist etc is a different poster. Apologies.

I cant edit my post. but my advise is the same maybe follow up with the solicitor?

I wish the original poster the best in their efforts as the offences were minor. The other poster doesn't understand personal responsibility or racism and doesn't respect the rule of law. Not really an ideal candidate for citizenship. As an emigrant myself I always thought it wise to keep my nose clean because after all I'm a guest in another country and grateful for the opportunities available to me here. Abass's attitude stinks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Moderation: This thread is heading in a direction that might be better suited elsewhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement