Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Has anyone gone with these guys before?

They used to run the route that Celtic Link took over I believe. From the photos the ships look like the same type that Celtic Link used so you won't have any real comforts on board. But given the price they are offering I don't think you can complain.

Hopefully they trigger a price war as we now have 4 ferry companies vying for our holiday cash. Its a shame there is no direct sailing to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

gandalf wrote: »
    They used to run the route that Celtic Link took over I believe. From the photos the ships look like the same type that Celtic Link used so you won't have any real comforts on board. But given the price they are offering I don't think you can complain.

Hopefully they trigger a price war as we now have 4 ferry companies vying for our holiday cash. Its a shame there is no direct sailing to Spain.

Yeah to be honest I think its a ridiculous routing to Spain, they should have went into Cork (Ringaskiddy) instead of Rosslare, much easier to get to with the motorways and would do a direct routing to Spain in around 20 to 22 hours compared to 19hrs from Rosslare to St.Nazaire and an additional 14hrs after that to Gijon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18
    Thanks OP.
    Fantastic prices, such a shame about the Dreadful sailing times. But with savings like that I could live with it:p.

Time to start Campsite shopping again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    billie1b wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest I think its a ridiculous routing to Spain, they should have went into Cork (Ringaskiddy) instead of Rosslare, much easier to get to with the motorways and would do a direct routing to Spain in around 20 to 22 hours compared to 19hrs from Rosslare to St.Nazaire and an additional 14hrs after that to Gijon

The service from France - Spain is subsidised by the EU, the Ireland - France is not, nor is there a subsidy for Ireland - Spain. The route is not sold as an Ireland - Spain route, you cannot (as far as can see) book an Ireland Spain trip, you have to book two legs.

Either way is it a good price and I expect (time will tell) a fair service and what is more a BA. LD lines is a freight trucking service provider and is you will not get the same experience as Irish Ferries or Brittany. More travel lodge than Hilton me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    I am looking at this ferry service as a means to get from A to B. Reminicent of Norfolkline from Dublin to Liverpool in the past.

If you want fancy, book Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries. They quoted me 1200 for what I wanted at the end of June. I could not do that. Yes it would be nice to have fancy, but by buying carefully, I can do multiple short trips through the year.

This ferry cost me 345 euro for car, ferry, 5 people, cabin, return.

This allows me bring granny and now am on the lookout for a decent campsite. With the assistance of some fellow boardsies pm'ing me, I have some excellent leads.

If you want fancy and have plenty of cash, go Brittany or Irish ferries, if you are cost sensitive, go with this. You cannot miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    3 years ago I did this, was looking for two weeks in June, my wife rang them and asked for the car, 4 berth 3 star cabin, 2 adults 2 kids, got quoted €830
    I rang ten minutes later, asked for the exact same and said I had the Tesco vouchers, was quoted €1100 and then with the vouchers it came to €850.
    I tired it on-line aswell, firstly with no vouchers and then with vouchers, the trip with the vouchers was always more expensive and when discounted ended up the same price

Don't have time to read the whole thread so maybe it's been said already but the above is no longer the case, there is only a €20 extra charge each way for booking with Tesco tokens.

redmissb wrote: »
    Don't have time to read the whole thread so maybe it's been said already but the above is no longer the case, there is only a €20 extra charge each way for booking with Tesco tokens.

Is that foot pax though?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Is that foot pax though?

Its per sailing , as in a return trip will incur 2 x €20 fees regardless of number of passengers. I booked with them last year - had €160 worth of tokens so after fees it meant a saving for me of €120.

cathalj wrote: »
    Its per sailing , as in a return trip will incur 2 x €20 fees regardless of number of passengers. I booked with them last year - had €160 worth of tokens so after fees it meant a saving for me of €120.

Did you book over the phone or on-line?

August 1

I've booked both ways.

• Advertisement

I've booked both ways.

Cool thanks, i'll check it out again when booking for next years holiday, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JohnR1968

July 25
    Thanks OP, we've booked a family of 6 with 2 cabins mid July till Aug for €357, saved probably a grand! A friend has cancelled IF and re-booked, brilliant what competition can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

I am looking at this ferry service as a means to get from A to B. Reminicent of Norfolkline from Dublin to Liverpool in the past.

If you want fancy, book Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries. They quoted me 1200 for what I wanted at the end of June. I could not do that. Yes it would be nice to have fancy, but by buying carefully, I can do multiple short trips through the year.

This ferry cost me 345 euro for car, ferry, 5 people, cabin, return.

This allows me bring granny and now am on the lookout for a decent campsite. With the assistance of some fellow boardsies pm'ing me, I have some excellent leads.

If you want fancy and have plenty of cash, go Brittany or Irish ferries, if you are cost sensitive, go with this. You cannot miss.

off topic but ... Norfolkline was brill .. we went to liverpool one weekend, on a BA (€100 rt for 2+2+car) posted by yourself I think, a few years ago!! a great time on the boat

Online.

Online.

August 1
    Are there any photos anywhere of inside the ferry? So tempted to book it, just got a price of €370. The arrival/departure times aren't great with small kids though. We were down in Charente Maritime this year and by arriving in to St Nazaire we'd be there in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

August 8
    Cheers , Just paid £261.50 for trip leaving August 1 and arriving Back on the 14th, Greate Value - 2 Adults 3 Kids 1 Cabin 1 Seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Are there any photos anywhere of inside the ferry? So tempted to book it, just got a price of €370. The arrival/departure times aren't great with small kids though. We were down in Charente Maritime this year and by arriving in to St Nazaire we'd be there in no time at all.

No the times are not great with kids but sure we'll all be in the same boat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1

The boat is pretty much the same as the Celtic link boat, I think they are sister ships, if not big sister and little sister. 1 bar, 1 cafe, 1 cinema, 1 restaurant and open decks?

August 1
    juneg wrote: »
    No the times are not great with kids but sure we'll all be in the same boat:D

:D true!
    Think I'll go for it!

• Advertisement

August 1
    Wally Runs wrote: »
    The boat is pretty much the same as the Celtic link boat, I think they are sister ships, if not big sister and little sister. 1 bar, 1 cafe, 1 cinema, 1 restaurant and open decks?

Is this smaller than Celtic Link? Saw the CF ferry in Cherbourg this summer it looked tiny next to Irish Ferries!

Is this smaller than Celtic Link? Saw the CF ferry in Cherbourg this summer it looked tiny next to Irish Ferries!

Celtic links Horizon is 20 metres longer than the Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I do Spain twice a year normally with Celtic Link (as dog goes free). Cherbourg/Torreveija 1050 miles, fuel 270e( return), road tolls 11.50e each way total about 750 euros return. I would prefer the Celtic or LD ferry(they look the same) as I consider some of the others top heavy and more likely to rock and roll. I spent many years truck driving and travelled on a lot of different ferries even did Newhaven/Dieppe on LD( good company). Had a few rough crossings in my time. Will check this one out as it looks good, only problem I see is one crossing a week and will be booked up soon. Not sure why people go camping, seems expensive compared to some hotels or even chalets in holiday villages. One site wanted 50 euros a night for a tent (my daughter) when I can get a hotel room for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Would be a bit worried about how it would handle a bad weather crossing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's really cheap, €299 car and two passengers the last week of the Tour de France. I've gone cyclotouring in France a few times and I stay in cheap F1 hotels, they're only around €30 for a clean bed, shower and a bowl of cereal in the morning. I never understood the campsite thing either.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone got a link to the website u use for this new service please?

My searches are turning up some confusing things for LD..

Thanks

Edited....got it in the OP ..doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The lidl boat surprising and cheap...only 36 hour crossing :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hal1 wrote: »

You sir are very good at maths....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Only 28 Hours from Cork to A Coruña in Spain Getting a Ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Hal1 wrote: »

It's 22hrs

Advertisement