Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Question

Options
  • 13-05-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hi there, question on health insurance for anyone who's not totally confused with choosing between providers:

We're a family of three. Our baby will be one by the time our policy is up for renewal. We're planning on a second child also, so there may be possible maternity epxenses in the next year or so.

In general, which of the operators would offer the best value and benefits for such a family? I'm finding it very difficult to compare the policies offered by each provider.

On a related issue, is it even worth considering Quinn anymore? Will it prove difficult to get money back from them or is there a likelihood that they'll disappear from the healthcare landscape altogether?

I know there's no one answer to these questions, just looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Forest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

What plan do you have at the moment?

Also, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website. The HIA was set up by the Government to monitor the health insurance market and their website includes a product comparison tool that might make more sense.

Regarding Quinn, the administrators and the financial regulator have said they are paying claims as normal and so far I'm inclined to believe them. It is possible that they may exit the health insurance market, but I personally don't believe that to be likely. The Government are keen for the overall Quinn group to be taken over by a new entrant, and I imagine they are doubly eager to see a replacement health insurer instead of just VHI and Aviva.

However, if they did withdraw after you switched to them, your contract would still be in force until the end of your policy year, so you wouldn't be high and dry. Yes it means having to switch at renewal, but I think people should always review their health insurance at renewal regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

NuMarvel wrote: »
    What plan do you have at the moment?

Also, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website. The HIA was set up by the Government to monitor the health insurance market and their website includes a product comparison tool that might make more sense.

QUOTE]

We're on the VHI First Plan Level One at the moment.. The price seems to be getting ridiculously high. Only 5 years ago, my health insurance with Vivas was €325 for the year.. Up on €2,000 for the 3 of us now.. hard to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Well, if that's the kind of cover you're looking for, that narrows things down a good bit.

I used the HIA comparison tool and it came back with one alternative - CompanyCare Starter from Quinn.

This link will bring you to the comparison of the two (I hope it does anyway!).

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison/search-result/58-75/

However, I had to make some assumptions that may or may not be valid (that you wanted similar hospital cover and out-patient cover, and that child and maternity benefits were an important feature). I'd strongly suggest using the comparison tool yourself to make sure it's what you need.

EDIT: I also haven't done a price quotation, so you may not make a saving when Quinn's monthly surcharge is taken into account. Something else to consider is that the three of you don't need to be on the same plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

NuMarvel,

Thanks very much for your help on that. Appreciate your time.

Forest

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

You don't have to wait until your renewal to change health insurers.If you change before your child is one,Aviva will give your child another year free whereas VHI will charge you €235. Also do you really need to get money back for gp expenses, if not you could get cover even a cheaper price on Hospital Level 1

• Advertisement
Advertisement