Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Doctor ( clonmel area)

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking to change my doctor, not happy with them anymore. I'm in the clonmel area and am looking for a doctor that if I make an appointment I'm not
    waiting to long after, Any help appreciated

Darren
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'm guessing you're changing from Mary Street???
    I'm looking to change from there. Waiting an hour the last day, I had to leave to put more money in the meter. Why bother making an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're changing from Mary Street???
    I'm looking to change from there. Waiting an hour the last day, I had to leave to put more money in the meter. Why bother making an appointment?

No western house medical centre :) i applied for Coleman Walsh but they wernt taking any new medical card patients, are they that bad down there lol

Ah it's ridiculous down in Mary St.
    I really like my doctor, Dr Cathy Foley and would follow her if she left to do her own practice but they take the piss with the spacing of the appointments. Then they demand the cash up front too, I would have walked out the last day only for I'd already paid.

Ah it's ridiculous down in Mary St.
    I really like my doctor, Dr Cathy Foley and would follow her if she left to do her own practice but they take the piss with the spacing of the appointments. Then they demand the cash up front too, I would have walked out the last day only for I'd already paid.

Things are really gone to the dogs with GP's , when they give an appointment you should be seen within half an hour, i woudnt mind the wait its just my own doctor doesnt seem to listen and doesnt give a blind **** about his patients .

Hope you get sorted, I reckon I'm going to try one of the doctors in Cahir as it's not too far from me, don't have to pay to park either!

• Advertisement

Hope you get sorted, I reckon I'm going to try one of the doctors in Cahir as it's not too far from me, don't have to pay to park either!

thanks mate :) can u reccomend me any in cahir im not too far from there either :)

From the people I've spoken to, they seem to recommend the clinic in the market yard behind Ross' pharmacy and the Enterprise Centre but I couldn't tell you any more than that I'm afraid!

From the people I've spoken to, they seem to recommend the clinic in the market yard behind Ross' pharmacy and the Enterprise Centre but I couldn't tell you any more than that I'm afraid!

oh nice one mate , il ring around tomorrow , clonmel docs are gone to the dogs, cant beat the old ones but sadly most are retired or private

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I've had experience of GPs in Limerick and Clonmel and I can tell you they are all swamped. It is a combination of various issues most of which are down to decisions made by government.

Literally half the country have a medical card or a GP card so there is a big proportion of those in the waiting room are there because it's something to do for the day. You sit in the waiting room and they are all chatting like it's a daily coffee morning. At best they are there for a relatively minor thing that a nurse could easily do for them but they insist on being seen by a doctor. Then if they don't get their full 15 minutes with the GP then they will bitch and moan about it all across the town and very quickly the GP will get a bad reputation as just being interested in pushing people through as quickly as possible to make more money. You often hear the term "bed blocker" in relation to hospitals but there definately seem to be "appointment blockers" in the case of GPs.

Then of course the government decided to charge people €100 for having an accident or emergency without first making an appointment through your GP. So the GPs are now acting as a sort of triage filter for the local hospitals. I saw a lad one day turn up at my GP with a clearly broken arm. He was in agony in the waiting room but he couldn't afford the €100 he would be charged at the hospital. To be fair a few minutes later once they realised he was a serious case and he was brought straight in to see a doctor and 30 minutes later an ambulance arrived. I'm sure that sort of thing goes on all the time. Sure there were people turning up at A&E who did not really need to be there but instead of putting a proper filtering process in place at the hospitals the government just pushed that confusion back to the GPs.

Finally, more seriously, it's very hard for the surgery to tell someone they can't see a GP if they insist that they want to see one. One of the biggest killers at the moment is suicide but the state has put little or no councelling services in place. So it is largely left to the GPs and can you imagine the outrage if someone committed suicide and it turned out that their GP had refused to see them or had fobbed them off to a nurse on a busy day. So the GPs have no choice but to sit there and act as a psychologist and those sessions can take an hour or more. All the GP needs is one of those in the morning and the whole schedule for the day is delayed.

So in general I don't blame the GPs. They have been landed with a lot more work and responsibility and patients. I try to avoid the queues by going at 9am on a Saturday morning if it is something I can postpone or schedule in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Had experience of this myself this weekend. I work 9-5 about an hour from Clonmel so it's not possible for me to see my own doctor during the week - think his surgery hours are 10-4. They also have a Saturday morning clinic which is for emergencies but they would also accommodate people like me who can't get in during the week. There was no appointment system - you just showed up and waited for what could be an hour and a half.

Needed to get a prescription for malaria tablets last week. Rang doctor hoping they would just write up prescription and I could collect it. Was told I'd have to see a doctor (fair enough) and to call back Saturday morning. Rang at 9am Saturday to be told that the clinic was strictly an emergency clinic now and I couldn't come in. I explained my situation and the fact I've been accommodated before on Saturdays and was told the best they could do was a 5pm appointment some day next week (can't get off work in time). Then they suggested CareDoc.

Luckily the doctor beside Mulcahy's was able to help me. I'm not sure what the point of actually having my own doctor any more is if I can never get in to see them without taking a half day off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC1

I tried changing from western house a few years ago as I wasn't happy with service and no other doctor would take me as western house medical centre refused to release my files so had to stay and its crazy up there now they have taken on all doctors carey's patients its just a money machine appointment means nothing plus its a different doctor everytime up go up, Cash is king with GP's

Surely they can't refuse to release your files??? Freedom of information and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

LFC1 wrote: »
    I tried changing from western house a few years ago as I wasn't happy with service and no other doctor would take me as western house medical centre refused to release my files so had to stay and its crazy up there now they have taken on all doctors carey's patients its just a money machine appointment means nothing plus its a different doctor everytime up go up, Cash is king with GP's
    they have to release your files

I feel your pain, they wont even let me change to a different doctor in the same SURGERY !! , coudnt have said it better CASH IS KING , all GP's seem to treat those with medical cards as dirt and want them out of their room ASAP,

Trust me pudzey, it's not just those with medical cards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I know it's off topic, but for all the moaning we hear from gps about the hse and med card system I find it bizarre that in a place the size of Clonmel that a private gp doesn't set up to deal exclusively with paying customers.
    At least those of us who have to pay for the service-through our own cash or our taxes to pay for the medcard crew-wouldn't have to tolerate these ridiculous waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

You are very quiet if you allowed them do that.If you still wanty to leave tell them you will complain to the medical council and see if they still refuse to release your files

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mseliana

Originally Posted by LFC1 View Post

i too have had the above problem and cannot change gps either as no one else will take me on with my medical conditions everytime you need to go up there your fobbed off with a doctor that knows nothing about your history and isnt willing to listen to you at all when you try tell them what works best for you, you then come away with medication that is of no use to you at all and you end up sicker than you went in, i would love to change doctor as i am now left attending a doctor that i have absolutely no faith or trust in anymore yet if i was paying for my visits and not a medical card patient they would be licking my behind for me

Advertisement