Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Commuting from Laois?

Options
  • 18-04-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hope this is the right place to post this! :)

I'm currently a 6th year student who's hoping to study Law in UCD next year. The only problem is I live in Laois and would be facing an hour's commute each morning to Heuston and then the 145 to UCD!

I've brought up the option of staying in Dublin to my parents, who unfortunately can't afford it. I earn nothing, despite having tried my best to find a job, and to the best of my knowledge I will be getting the guts of 5 grand to sort out my contribution and books/travel, and not a cent more (I don't qualify for the grant :/ )

Will the commute kill me? I really want to have an active college life and get involved in Societies and stuff but I'm afraid I won't have the time if I'm commuting. I'm also afraid about making friends as I won't be around the campus as much as those who live there/in the area? Also will the Law coursework be hard to keep on top of or?

I've tried relaying these concerns to my parents but they aren't listening. My mum insists that because she commuted to college (even though it was only and hour each way and she was a mature student at the time) that I should do it too.

Am I actually going to miss out on much or should I stop fretting? Are there any other options/feasible ways for me to make moving out work? I really want to move out and I crave independence, this town is just so small minded and suffocating. Would it be worth exploring other options (loans and such) just so I can get an 'genuine college experience? '

Thanks for reading all of that! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Optimistry

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    What part of Laois are you commuting one hour to Heuston from, what time are you planning on leaving, I did a similar commute for 5 years

Is it Portlaoise Train station

It's Portarlington, so about 10 mins closer to Heuston than Portlaoise. I'd be taking a train at just before 7 each morning I'd say, to account for traffic and stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Optimistry wrote: »
    I hope this is the right place to post this! :)

I'm currently a 6th year student who's hoping to study Law in UCD next year. The only problem is I live in Laois and would be facing an hour's commute each morning to Heuston and then the 145 to UCD!

I've brought up the option of staying in Dublin to my parents, who unfortunately can't afford it. I earn nothing, despite having tried my best to find a job, and to the best of my knowledge I will be getting the guts of 5 grand to sort out my contribution and books/travel, and not a cent more (I don't qualify for the grant :/ )

Will the commute kill me? I really want to have an active college life and get involved in Societies and stuff but I'm afraid I won't have the time if I'm commuting. I'm also afraid about making friends as I won't be around the campus as much as those who live there/in the area? Also will the Law coursework be hard to keep on top of or?

I've tried relaying these concerns to my parents but they aren't listening. My mum insists that because she commuted to college (even though it was only and hour each way and she was a mature student at the time) that I should do it too.

Am I actually going to miss out on much or should I stop fretting? Are there any other options/feasible ways for me to make moving out work? I really want to move out and I crave independence, this town is just so small minded and suffocating. Would it be worth exploring other options (loans and such) just so I can get an 'genuine college experience? '

Thanks for reading all of that! :D

I commuted from Laois for a year so may be able to offer some advice. I used to take the bus as it was €40 for a weeks ticket, but going via the train Im honestly not sure you'll be saving much money. A student return to Dublin is around €20 at the moment and could be more by september, it was €14 for me when I started 3 years ago. On top of that you'll need a 5/30 day rambler if you can afford to front for the latter which is slightly cheaper. So you're talking €120 a week on travel alone if you're in 5 days a week which for Law I'd assume you would be. So you're talking say the guts of €500 a month travel, you'll get somewhere in Dublin for that no problem without having to sacrifice nights out/college experience.

Honestly if you're doing the train you should be grand. Its comfortable has wifi etc. Just bear in mind there are two trains you can get on that route, the cork train and the portlaoise one. I cant speak for portarlington but from portlaoise you're talking 40-50 minutes on the cork train to Dublin but the portlaoise one is an 70-80 mins so thats worth looking out for. If you've 9am lectures you'll be no doubt tired and the train and 145 will be packed so you wont be stretching out and enjoying yourself if you're getting it at peak times. The last train back to laois is around 10 depending on the day so you'll need to be getting the 145 from UCD at around 9:15 to be sure to make it. Society stuff generally will start anywhere between 7-9 so you may make some events but on the whole probably not unless you can stay the night somewhere in Dublin. Making friends will be a little more difficult too if you're not seeing people outside class. Everyone has people they know from tutorials and will nod at on the corridors but you wouldnt count them as 'friends'. As regards the coursework I did History and Politics so have not idea!

My mam also went to college as a mature student and commuted. If you drove it would be much easier in terms of freedom but given the costs involved and drawbacks I dont think its worth it. For my mam as a mature it was about going to college to get the knowledge to advance her career and whilst that is the end goal for you its about the college experience too, something you wont get at home. You'll notice the difference between people living on their own in Dublin vs the Dubs etc that commute too. Having independence to do what you want is great, you wont get that at home. Having to look after yourself and mature is something that your parents will benefit from too, again something you wont get at home. Also studying will be quite hard too given once you get home from a long day in Dublin believe me you will be in no mood for studying. You'll want you're dinner a bit of TV and then your bed. As regards travel time once you factor in the 145 is only every 15 mins (or 30 mins depending on time of day) you're talking a travel of 1 hr 30 to 2 hours one way per day.

Are you going to miss out? Most definitely. I would suggest seeing came you get a part time job in Dublin that would tide over the finances if they're short. Working 10-15 hours in Dublin would take a look less toll on your than travelling every day believe me as I've done both. Loans wise the credit union could help as could UCDSU but I wouldnt know in detail about that. If you're a smart cookie and get high grades in your leaving UCD actually give you free accomodation via the Ad Astra award.

So to conclude, is it doable? Yes. Is it worth it? No.

Hope this helps, any other questions feel free to ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Theres a private bus company that run from portarlington to ucd,silver dawn travel,i think they are still operating,would be less hassle and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

For the relatively small amount you save I think you should definitely move out.

I currently first year of a law with course and live right beside campus (perks of being a 3+ hour train journey away!) and I can definitely say that the people who commute in my class (most 70-90 min commutes) miss out on the social side and societies. One guy makes it work pretty well but he's in a minority in that way. Luckily for them I'm in private accommodation and not campus so they can stay after nights out sometimes but most first years won't be able to do that.

The one redeeming factor I can say for commuting with law in first year is you won't have early mornings to contend with. None of my law lectures start before 1pm but I'm in until 6pm a few days. The timetable tends to stay the same with law lectures year on year I believe so you might be the same. If you do pure law I think you'll be off on Wednesdays too unless you're elective is that day, so you might get a day off from the commute.

I know money's tight but if you can manage to find a job for the whole summer you should have enough to move out when combined with your parents' €5k. It might help for you to prepare a budget of commute expenses versus stay at home expenses and show it to your parents. Remember if you're commuting you'll spent more money on food in college too as you'll be in for long days.

Also if you have any law or law with course subject questions feel free to drop me a message! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lou55

Hey robman 60, just wondering about law modules! I applied to do criminal procedure as my elective but unfortunately didn't get it and am now thinking about doing general intro into irish legal system. Just wondering if you could say what the module is like? 😄

• Advertisement
Advertisement