Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look different without make up?

Options
  • 16-04-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

I was always conscious about how different I look when I don't have make up on. An ex boyfriend once asked me when I had no make up on, "what happened to your eyes?", I said "ah..nothing, I just don't have make up on!"

Last night my mams friend and her husband came to visit us and stay for a couple of nights, I met them when I got home from work and chatted for a few minutes. This morning I was making my breakfast and the man I was talking to last night introduced himself to me again! He actually looked shocked when I told him who I was, he thought I was a completely different person! It's crazy really that make up has the power to transform. I should add that I don't even wear that much face make up, some foundation and bronzer, but I think its eye make up that makes the biggest difference to me. Do you guys look that different without make up on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I look a lot younger without make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I look very flushed without makeup. Years ago if I needed a duvet day, I'd go in the day before without foundation, and hello 'you look ill' comments from the boss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think I look quite different without make up, but I'm starting to think it must be mostly a self conscious/psychological thing - lately I've noticed people tell me I look well when I'm not wearing make up, and just yesterday a colleague commented on how natural my foundation always looks... but I wasn't wearing any!
    I'm very conscious of redness and blotches but maybe they're not as bad as I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I look younger without makeup but also very pale. I've got lots of comments about my eyes which really stand out if I put the effort into my eye makeup as they look really big, but I don't bother much unless I'm going somewhere worth the effort :pac: Overall I wouldn't say I look very different but I know many that look completely different without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I look very flushed without makeup. Years ago if I needed a duvet day, I'd go in the day before without foundation, and hello 'you look ill' comments from the boss

I do this too, but the day after :pac:

I don't think I look radically different without make-up on, probably cause I don't wear *that* much on a daily basis and I'm lucky enough to have good, clear skin. As the OP said, it's in my eyes that the difference is most visible - my eyelashes have blonde tips so I look like I've really short eyelashes when I'm not wearing mascara.

I do, however, have one friend who is literally unrecognisable without make-up on; she's really pale, with freckles and fair eyebrows, which you would never guess in a million years if you saw her with make-up on. My dad genuinely didn't recognise her the first time she called into the house bare-faced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I don't think I look much different , maybe less tired looking. I don't wear a lot, just foundation to even my skintone and minimal eye makeup and lipstick. I'm not able to do all the "fancy smancy" stuff such as conturing/drawing in eyebrows/dramatic eye make up etc that others seem to be able to do (I have tried:( but I end up looking silly) I can't really think of anyone that I know that looks radically different with makeup. Maybe more polished glossy versions of themselves when they are dolled up but that's really it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I think i do but i've been told i look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This might be semantics, bu the surely people look different with makeup on rather than looking different without?

Anyway, I never wear makeup. Occasionally I have worn clear mascara but the last time (apart for a reverse n makeup selfie I did!) was about 5 years ago. I will say I can't watch my girlfriend put her full on event makeup on. The various stages scare the crap out of me! The highlighting and everything is terrifying taken in isolation. And tbh I never see her as looking that different. She just looks like a dressed up version of herself. You know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I look pretty much the same. I get very slight redness around my nose and on my chin but other than that my skin is okay so make up just evens out my skin tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

I look younger but pretty much the same I'd say?, except very pale.. My eyes look totally different though!:/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I look much the same, although better with it on I think (I dont wear face make up, just do eyes and lips going out).

But as I dont wear it on a daily basis, anytime Ive make up on Im also dressed up and with my hair done so my entire look is radically different.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I've had my skin tone described as "ham" so yeah, there's a big enough difference when I wear make up. I'm comfortable in myself though so only launch it on for special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I look much the same. Without make up I look about 15/16 so I like to wear it because I feel more confident when I look better, and I also like to look my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I've had my skin tone described as "ham"

Oh dear!!! Who said that to you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have blonde eyelashes and brows so when I take my "eyes" off, it's very noticeable.
    I look younger but with my eyes, I definitely need mascara and my eyebrows tinted regularly.

Otherwise, I'd resemble Tilda Swinton and that, in my book, is NOT a good thing.

My other half says I look beautiful either way, but he does compliment me on my eyeshadow and he loves the eye-liner cat-eye flick thing.

Makes me feel good when he says it 'cos he's a bloke and knows nothing about make-up...so to say that...well I MUST look half decent :o

I don't look very different. I don't really use much that would affect my features, like defining eye make-up, eyebrow shapers or contouring. I usually just use a light, BB cream-like foundation, mascara, eyebrow pencil (just enough to darken what's already there) and concealer.

People I work with (where I'd wear make up every day) would comment that I look ill or hungover when I'm not wearing it, and friends (who would rarely see me with it) would comment that I'm looking very healthy when I'm wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I look much younger, but fortunately I have great skin and a glow so I'm not too self-conscious without it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Theres a girl in one of my college lectures who I had spoken to for the first time a few weeks ago and we were chatting for quite a while, I didn't realise she had much makeup on cause it looked quite natural. Anyway I saw her again at a lecture a few weeks later without makeup on and I didn't recognise her at first, then I looked more closely and I still couldn't tell. She was sitting a bit away from me and couldn't see me from her angle but I had to take a few double takes to make sure but I still wasn't sure hahah only her voice really confirmed it was her to me!
    Makeup is a powerful thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I look pretty much the same. I don't wear very heavy make-up anyway. My brows and eyelashes would be the main thing because they are so fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I find that make-up tends to 'lift' my features and I like to define my eyes, so when I go barefaced I look pretty drab, not to mention having my spots and scars on show. I get bad shadows under my eyes, which look horrendous without concealer.

When I don't wear make-up, people ask me if I'm tired or unwell because they're so used to seeing me made up. I wish I could get away without it some days, but the reactions I've gotten in the past to my bare face tell me other wise :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I find that make-up tends to 'lift' my features and I like to define my eyes, so when I go barefaced I look pretty drab, not to mention having my spots and scars on show. I get bad shadows under my eyes, which look horrendous without concealer.

When I don't wear make-up, people ask me if I'm tired or unwell because they're so used to seeing me made up. I wish I could get away without it some days, but the reactions I've gotten in the past to my bare face tell me other wise :o

Oh you sound just like me, I always say I'll slap a bit on to avoid scaring the children :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

I believe I do look different with make up on.
    I always put some mascara and eye liner on my lower line every day. Otherwise I think I my eyes look lost on my face... I love having dramatic sharp eyes.
    Being a blondie my eye lashes are non-existent without some mascara on. :pac:
    I've only recently gained the confidence to go out and about without foundation / concealer and I have become used to how my natural skin tone is. When I first started going without, I did have a few comments from people who know me well saying I look pale and asking if I was feeling alright.:( That has stopped now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

It's weird but I didn't start wearing mascara until I was 25. I just preferred not to wear it. I occasionally wore a bit of eyeliner. When I started wearing mascara, I got used to the look and now I think it looks strange when I don't wear it but I think it's just what I'm used to. I'd say if I stopped wearing it, I wouldn't notice after a while.

I wear mascara daily and add some blush, foundation and gloss if I'm going out. I look much younger without makeup than with. I think I look 'harder' if I wear more than the minimum.

Advertisement