Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding it hard to study/concentrate

Options
  • 18-04-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I have been studying for a few weeks, no problem at all, rather enjoyed it tbh.

I had a bug on Tuesday of this week so took a break until yesterday. Got a tiny amount done yday, decided to relax last night and wake up fresh and ready to go again today. But it isn't happening. I'm in that reading the same line over and over again trance.

Any advice? Study a different module maybe?
    I'm a bit lost/burning out I think. Trying to stay healthy too.
    Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I find short bursts, with summary and a variety of tasks works for me.

For example - read, summarise, write the summary, review, move on. Lots of evidence out there to show that actually writing, as opposed to typing, is a more effective way of memorising. So don't use the laptop, use good old fashioned paper and pen.

Every 10-15 minutes, I literally walk away - coffee, bathroom, go outside and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Tom has given you good advice I've definitely always used the tactics he's mentioned. Short bursts (40 - 50 minutes), constant writing even if its just regurgitation of notes and at least a 10 minute break away from my desk after every burst.

I'd also go further and have planned exactly what I was going to study beforehand and for how long. The subject and what in that specific subject I'm going to look at. For me every hour also has a different subject or when not possible a different topic in that subject. I also make sure to get up early and start at 9am, do 4 hours of study, take an hour for lunch and then do 4 more hours before having dinner. Then I'd relax for the night and get a good night sleep ready to do it all over again. I'd also always take at least Saturday or Sunday completely away from my work to recharge. All of the above is designed to keep me fresh and well rested which sounds like you aren't getting.

Studying effectively is an art and will take you time to find the best pattern for you but when you do things go really well and you go from strength to strength. Stick at it. If you like it it makes it so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Thanks guys, great advice :)

Advertisement