Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How to denote two MSc degrees?

• 02-08-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I am about to finish a second MSc. In terms of writing these qualifications, how do I record the fact?

e.g.

Mr. John Smith, BA, MSc, MSc????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd suggest not doing it.

I automatically think less of anyone who puts B.A. or M.Sc. after their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

From Wikipedia, so don't take it as gospel
    Where two different postgraduate qualifications with the same name have been obtained (for example two different postgraduate MAs from King's College London and University of Sussex), this can be indicated by using one degree postnominal, and the abbreviations of the two awarding bodies in parentheses, sometimes joined by the Latin "et" (or with an ampersand), e.g. "Jane Smith MA (KCL et Sussex)", and not "Jane Smith MA MA".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Ah, it's warrented on stuff like business cards, or Linkedin, or CV's, where credentials are relevant.

- Andrew, BA, MSc.

andrew wrote: »
    Ah, it's warrented on stuff like business cards, or Linkedin, or CV's, where credentials are relevant.

- Andrew, BA, MSc.

Not after your name it isn't.

On a CV or LinkedIn, definitely include it, but putting it after your name looks desperate. It should go nowhere near a business card unless you've a very specifically applicable degree to the role you're working in which it might not be assumed you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Also, don't include the bachelor's if you have a master's. The bachelor's is assumed and thus redundant. It's acceptable to put the master's in if you've got a doctorate, but it's rarely seen. Most doctorates tend towards the 'Dr' before, not the 'PhD' after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

MSc²

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Is that because you don't have any ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Not after your name it isn't.

On a CV or LinkedIn, definitely include it, but putting it after your name looks desperate. It should go nowhere near a business card unless you've a very specifically applicable degree to the role you're working in which it might not be assumed you have.

So we agree, it should go after your name, where applicable.

Also, don't include the bachelor's if you have a master's. The bachelor's is assumed and thus redundant. It's acceptable to put the master's in if you've got a doctorate, but it's rarely seen. Most doctorates tend towards the 'Dr' before, not the 'PhD' after.

Lots of people do Masters' and BA's in unrelated subjects, might be warranted then?

- Andrew, JC, LC, BA, MSc.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Is that because you don't have any ;)

No. I've a B.A., first class, and a gold medal to go with it, and an Sch., if you'd like all my credentials before deciding if my opinion is worthwhile. I've already decided by the juvenile nature of your post that yours isn't, and I don't expect any titles you can provide will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

No. I've a B.A., first class, and a gold medal to go with it, and an Sch., if you'd like all my credentials before deciding if my opinion is worthwhile. I've already decided by the juvenile nature of your post that yours isn't, and I don't expect any titles you can provide will change that.

A gold medal! Well they do say trinners for winners :rolleyes:

Although I wouldn't be putting just a mere BA after my name either :D

• Advertisement

What did you get your BA in? Being sh¡t at parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Back on topic guys

Lets try to stick to helpful advice for the OP.

Advertisement