Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Writing a Novel about Trinity - NEED HELP!

• 24-07-2015 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3 thomas53

Hi! First of all, I need to clarify that I'm new to boards. So I apologize ahead of time if I'm doing this wrong.

I'll cut to the chase: I'm an American writer working on a novel set in Dublin / Trinity College. I was hoping to get some feedback on a few details so that the story can be as true-to-life as possible. I'm curious about a few things in particular:

1. The Long Room. Is this used by students today? Or does it just serve as a tourist attraction? If it is used, how? Do students ever study there? Are its books used for research?

2. How do students today feel about the troubles? Does this topic come up in conversation or is it merely part of history? Is it a sensitive subject or are most students indifferent today?

3. Do students exercise their faith? Is there a noticeable percentage of one faith vs another?

4. How do students feel about the same-sex referendum? Are there opposing sides on this topic?

5. If you could correct any misconception about life in Ireland today, what would that be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Hi!

1. Not completely sure about this one. I've been in it but I think it's more of a tourist attraction (open to correction on this but as far as I know - the books aren't used by the majority of students. There are like 4 other libraries on the main campus in addition to others off campus that are primarily used. That being said - masters or phd students could have access to the books that undergraduates don't? )

2. Depends on who you're talking to!
    Some students take History in school til 17/18 yrs old for the state exams and the troubles as a topic is covered. Students that kept it on as a subject would (or should) have an understanding at least and I think most would have an idea from other subjects/school projects in general. I'd say many have a general awareness of the topic.

I would say the majority accept it as a part of history. I wouldn't say they are indifferent to the subject at the same time though.

It can be a sensitive subject depending on who you're talking to. I have friends whose parents are from the North who moved down to the republic during/after the troubles and I'd discuss it on and off with them. It's usually a topic to avoid in conversation if you know people will argue (and some will given what it's about). For example one of my friends is from an Irish catholic family and another is English-protestant (doesn't identify as northern Irish for what it's worth) and they tend to get a bit heated if the conversation arises.

However with some of my other friends it has never come up in conversation so it depends.

3. I would say there is a large majority of Catholics (given that in Ireland it's the main religion here as something like over 90% of people identify as Catholic on the census. However there are debates about how many of these people actually practice their religion). Regarding the christian denominations in TCD, I would say a large majority don't exercise their faith. Many students will have been baptised but then don't identify as catholic/christian or whatever anymore. There is also a significant number who do identify as catholic but then still don't exercise their faith and then you have a smaller amount (in my opinion) who do exercise their faith. This is based on my interactions with people in christian union (as society that people can join in trinity).

Of my friends from trinity who are Muslim, the majority of them would exercise their faith. Can't be sure for other religions.

4. Most would be delighted that it passed but both sides were represented as you'd expect in any referendum. There was a bit push by the students union to get students registered to vote in that referendum and I'd say the vast majority of students would have supported a yes vote. Based on my facebook page (there was an option to 'check in' and say you had voted on the marriage referendum) - over 90% of my friends voted yes.

Of my friends who didn't support a yes vote many were members of christian union or were of other religions (there could have been other groups also against it, but based on debates that were being had at the time that's just my observation).

So while there are opposing sides - I'd think there was overwhelming support from students.

5. I'm not too sure about this. I don't think Ireland is as Catholic as many people think it is (Some American friends who went to TCD mentioned that they thought more of us would be religious...) I'm not too sure what other misconceptions people have about life in Ireland? If there are any you want an opinion on let me know.

This is based on my own observations and I'm open to correction if others have a different experience. Hope it helps and best of luck with the novel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thomas53

Ciara1052,

I can't thank you enough for your rich feedback. I never imagined that I would get a response so quickly! It is greatly appreciated.

I'll be pondering your remarks throughout the day and I'm sure it will bring about some follow-up questions in the near future.

Thanks again! :)

• All those answers above are pretty much spot on, except that the Long Room isn't used by students for studying. The Old Library contains some of the college's collection of early printed books. These can be requested to be accessed by researchers (generally academic staff, but students would be allowed too) who can study the books within the library, but they can't be taken out. The actual Long Room is pretty much just a tourist attraction, no one actually studies in there, and when the books are accessed they are brought to a separate room for reading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thomas53

OK guys, I'm back with a few follow-up questions as well as some new ones:

1. I'm in the process of trying to catalogue all of the marble busts within the the Long Room. So far, I've been able to visually account for (aka find a picture of) all but the following:

Robert Emmet
    Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland
    George III
    William Magee
    John Adam Malet
    George Miller
    Edmund Sexton Pery
    Unknown 1
    Unknown 2
    Unknown 3

Does anyone know if these guys are still in the Long Room? Can anyone else find a pictures?
    Also, I AM PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN the the 3 "Unknown" busts. If anyone has a picture of these three or where they're located in the long room, that would be incredible!

2. If students don't study in the long room, do they still have free access to it? I'm assuming they have card swipe access of some kind?

3. How does the average student feel about traditional Irish music? I've heard the term "paddywhackery" tossed around. Is it something that is appreciated? Or is it seen as tacky? The only thing I can (possibly) compare this to in the states is bluegrass music; some think its terrible, some genuinely enjoy it, and others have an "appreciation" for it but don't listen.

4. In terms of modern Irish music, what's popular right now? Are there any bands/artists that stick out? Any genres that stick out?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

thomas53 wrote: »

1. I'm in the process of trying to catalogue all of the marble busts within the the Long Room. So far, I've been able to visually account for (aka find a picture of) all but the following

2. If students don't study in the long room, do they still have free access to it? I'm assuming they have card swipe access of some kind?

3. How does the average student feel about traditional Irish music? I've heard the term "paddywhackery" tossed around. Is it something that is appreciated? Or is it seen as tacky? The only thing I can (possibly) compare this to in the states is bluegrass music; some think its terrible, some genuinely enjoy it, and others have an "appreciation" for it but don't listen.

4. In terms of modern Irish music, what's popular right now? Are there any bands/artists that stick out? Any genres that stick out?

Thank you!

1. Ussher and Swift are two busts in the Long Room that you didn't mention. I've photos of both so that's how I know :p Others I'm not sure.

2. Students have access to the Long Room yes. With a TCD student card you're allowed to see the Book of Kells and the Long Room for free (and even bring up to three or so guests with you). I dunno maybe you're writing some historical detective story, but honestly the proportion of students who haven't set foot in the Old Library would be quite high. Going to the Old Library is not a thing you do in college really. You may go once or twice during your time studying in the university, but just because it's free or if you are showing some friends from abroad or something.

3. Students who come from more rural backgrounds, particularly with a Gaeltacht influence (Kerry and so on) would be usually quite fond of traditional Irish music. Most Irish people would have an ok attitude to it, but it's not something a lot of people would have on their iPods or phones.

4. If you're talking specifically about IRISH performers, acts like Hozier (a former Trinity student) and Kodaline would be quite popular. There are also bands like The Coronas, Ham Sandwich, The Riptide Movement and many others but from my experience I can't say that people listen to that many Irish acts. Irish people listen to probably much the same stuff that Americans or the British listen to. If you want to go more specific it all depends on the person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

To be clear: the long room is a tourist attraction, that happens to have some very old books that maybe a student could see if they were studying some very specific subject which required the use of those books. Other than that, it's just for tourists. To that end, you can visit for free durnig opening hours with your student card (and bring 3 other people with you), but that's about it. There'd be no access after hours or anything, and many students will never have set foot into it.

I think in real life the Museum building would be closer to what I think you think the long room is like and how it's used.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

1. I'm in the process of trying to catalogue all of the marble busts within the the Long Room. So far, I've been able to visually account for (aka find a picture of) all but the following:

Robert Emmet
    Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland
    George III
    William Magee
    John Adam Malet
    George Miller
    Edmund Sexton Pery
    Unknown 1
    Unknown 2
    Unknown 3

Does anyone know if these guys are still in the Long Room? Can anyone else find a pictures?
    Also, I AM PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN the the 3 "Unknown" busts. If anyone has a picture of these three or where they're located in the long room, that would be incredible!

Thank you!

1. I've no idea about this one, sorry!
    2. Agree with the last poster

3. I can't stand most trad music (absolutely hate sean nos singing for example if that counts) although it's not all bad (some ballads/songs aren't too bad, same goes for some jigs/reels). Some of it can be cringe-worthy though! (I've friends who play some forms of trad music. They'd perform in 'Feis ceoil' which are trad music competitions/events here and there are different styles and everything...so to me it's not all bad or tacky. I can appreciate it's a style)

I'd say many of my friends would be indifferent to it though! As in it's not something they would have on their ipod but that they probably don't mind it, although it wouldn't be popular overall unless you play it yourself. I can appreciate that it's part of the culture and everything, just not to my taste anyway. I find in general the whole 'lets sell the music/pub culture/leprechaun' image really tacky in general (as do most I'd say!)....not just the music itself though.

The comparison to bluegrass music is fairly appropriate :-) .

4. It really depends on what sort of music you're interested in.

Hozier is really popular generally along with other music popular in the American/English charts. Irish acts like the coronas or kodaline as mentioned earlier would also feature here. There's quite a broad music scene so it's hard to tell. Some are into alternative/rock on one hand while EDM also seems to be quite big with others.

Advertisement