Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Trinity Schols for BESS

• 08-07-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey there,
    I know there's a lot of threads about Schols on this but they all seem to be from 6 or 7 years ago. Since the rules have changed (no Summer exam exemptions) what are peoples thoughts on it? Is it worthwhile doing?

This year none were given to bess students so it looks like its getting harder to achieve. I did well in Summer exams but not sure how much that indicates how well I'll do in Schols!

Any opinions would be great,
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

If you got a high 2.1 or a First in summer exams then you probably have the ability to get it.

Just think about whether this is something you can commit to for a few months. It's not something you can do half-heartedly and expect to get. You will probably find yourself studying every day from mid-November onwards. You will have the usual midterms, essays, and assignments to get through before holidays in December too. Work hard for them to see your grades and gauge how well you are staying on top of material. Then if you want Schols you should definitely study more less full-time throughout Christmas holidays (take a couple of days off for family festivities and recharging though), right up until the exams themselves.

Unfortunately after exams Hilary Term starts pretty much straight away, but you should take it easy for a week or so. You will probably feel burnt out until the end of May. All this is worth considering! The benefits are certainly great, if somewhat diminished from previous years.

Source: I did Schols two years ago in BESS, got 68%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dublinteens

If you got a high 2.1 or a First in summer exams then you probably have the ability to get it.

Just think about whether this is something you can commit to for a few months. It's not something you can do half-heartedly and expect to get. You will probably find yourself studying every day from mid-November onwards. You will have the usual midterms, essays, and assignments to get through before holidays in December too. Work hard for them to see your grades and gauge how well you are staying on top of material. Then if you want Schols you should definitely study more less full-time throughout Christmas holidays (take a couple of days off for family festivities and recharging though), right up until the exams themselves.

Unfortunately after exams Hilary Term starts pretty much straight away, but you should take it easy for a week or so. You will probably feel burnt out until the end of May. All this is worth considering! The benefits are certainly great, if somewhat diminished from previous years.

Source: I did Schols two years ago in BESS, got 68%.

Thanks a million for the reply, really appreciate it! Yeah I got a first in Summer exams and did well in the leaving cert so everyone is telling me id be mad not to. Do you regret doing it after not getting it?

It seems like less and less people are getting it every year. As in I'd day if you did it 2 years earlier you wouldve gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Do you regret doing it after not getting it?

I don't regret it at all. It's a useful life experience. I would have regretted if I didn't go for it, because then you would be thinking about what could have been. As it turned out I didn't really need Schols at all, since I had only one semester left in Trinity. This year I was away on Erasmus for half a year, and I'm transferring to a different university to start my Masters program early. It seems like a big deal at the time and it really is, particularly if you have any financial worries or accommodation worries, but it's not essential at all for your future development in life.
    As in I'd say if you did it 2 years earlier you wouldve gotten it.

I'm not sure if it would have been any easier to get. They are a bit tighter with dishing out Schols, but you still have to learn the same material and do the same exams. To be honest what let me down was the last part of the very last exam. I used a wrong formula for a stats question and I got very low marks on that part because of that. Sometimes you think that if you spend maybe studying an hour more over those two or three months, and used that hour to look over those types of questions then you would have aced it and maybe just about squeezed past the post. But it's a harmful way of thinking.

In either case, you will be left with some good notes and knowledge that you can use for your end of year exams!

Advertisement