Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Is TCD too difficult for me?

• 30-06-2015 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone. I completed a FETAC Level 5 course in Laboratory Techniques and received distinctions in all my modules. I know TCD science has 10 places for FETAC students and UCD science has 20. I had no idea what I wanted to study after my LC but I know now that I have a keen interest in the biological sciences. I want to go to a good university but I was wondering if I got in to one of these universities would I struggle to keep up as I expect they have a really high standard and might expect you to have a lot of knowledge of biology and chemistry.
    If you have any advice you could give me it would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 5599

elef95 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I completed a FETAC Level 5 course in Laboratory Techniques and received distinctions in all my modules. I know TCD science has 10 places for FETAC students and UCD science has 20. I had no idea what I wanted to study after my LC but I know now that I have a keen interest in the biological sciences. I want to go to a good university but I was wondering if I got in to one of these universities would I struggle to keep up as I expect they have a really high standard and might expect you to have a lot of knowledge of biology and chemistry.

I don't know much about your course but I just want to tell you that I have accepted a place in TCD for the upcoming session and asked the same question to myself.

After a lot of thinking, I realised that if you want to become one of the best in your field, you have to be with the best.
    I would suggest you to go ahead and apply to TCD and UCD.
    If they offer you a place, then you have to realise that they think that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in your chosen course.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Note: I didn't go to Trinity, I went to UCD/DIT/ITT/SCD... among others.

Honestly, 3rd level is mostly about persistence.

Do your assignments, study a bit and you'll find yourself ahead of at least two thirds of the rest of the students.

Some modules will be easier than others, ace those.
    For the difficult ones try find a few mates to work with and take your C or D.

Also: Make friends, for two reasons:
    1. group work is everywhere these days and you want to be working with people you know and trust.
    2. let's be honest, some papers are just easier to write when you've had a look at your mates one...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

First year science assumes no prior knowledge of chemistry, a lot of people have never done it until then. Biology assumes a small amount but nothing you couldn't pick up. If you did either subject for your LC you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

elef95 wrote: »

I agree with the previous posts. Of course you can do it. The only thing stopping you is yourself. You have the aptitude and determination to succeed so you will be well able to complete the course. Hope you get a place. Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elef95

Thank you all so much for your feedback and support!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work...”

― Albert Einstein

Sounds like you have no problem with the hard work and you have the passion so best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kiwiq

You just need to believe in yourself a bit more buddy, don't be talking yourself out of it. Just keep up the hard work and you will be fine. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

If you simply get enough sleep and don't drink too much you're already better placed to succeed than half your 1st yr class.

That goes for most courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

1 year of solid work in JF will easily catch you up to speed even with the best students in your year. There are multiple sources of academic support throughout the college, from weekly maths help room to group study rooms in the library, if you are proactive about it, you can easily be very successful.

Not to mention online resources and free access to the library, with enough drive you can achieve pretty much anything during your time in Trinity, but not without putting in some serious work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

If you're smart enough to get into the course, you're smart enough to complete it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement