Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭

Junior has just started playing the demo of this game and wants to buy the full version, is there anything to watch out for? I caught something that if your computer breaks it doesnt allow you to reinstall it on another machine, is this true? .

It seems to be an older game and seems cheap enough is there a bunch of expansion packs or can you buy or is everything together?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It's on Steam (expansion packs too), not limited to one machine as far as I know! http://store.steampowered.com/app/17390/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

silverharp wrote: »
    Junior has just started playing the demo of this game and wants to buy the full version, is there anything to watch out for? I caught something that if your computer breaks it doesnt allow you to reinstall it on another machine, is this true? .

It seems to be an older game and seems cheap enough is there a bunch of expansion packs or can you buy or is everything together?

The limit used to be 3 machines but they patched it to 5. You can contact EA support once you've reached that limit to unlock it to unlimited. I've done so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dear god, it is still 30eu on steam! OP, please dont buy that game. The most fun that game is the very first part of the game, then it its just tanks down down and down. Use 30eu to buy some indy games instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I thoroughly enjoyed it until the final space stage. I would recommend it especially since you haven't been taken in by the hype at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Honestly wouldnt waste your money, the parts your child has enjoyed are deffinitely the best bits but unfortunately are only a small part of the game that you get through far too quickly and half way through you bizarrely end up playing a space empire startegy game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's one of those games were the reviewer's scores are *really* high but the user scores are very low.

The game is summed up for me as you get five mini-games instead of a game. Each of the mini-games varies from fairly fun (the early stages) to deathly dull (the space stage). Each mini-game is basically a very stripped down, simplified and streamlined version of a some strategy sub-genre (I'm not sure what you'd call the microbe stage). Fine for kids I suppose but for anyone who plays the "real" games in those genres it's just abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thanks for the comments, it seems like an odd sort of game but he likes the building the creatures. I think I saw it on Amazon for under 10€ which seems about right.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There used to be a service that would 3D print your creatures for you. I think. It might have been a dream, shagged if I can find the link... Anyway, if you find yourself looking the recession in the eye and thinking "I need a little more of a challenge " then set €150 euro on fire or alternatively look no further than http://www.sporesculptor.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

silverharp wrote: »

There's nothing to watch out for in it really. If you can grab it for under a tenner that sounds about right. There are a couple of expansion packs for it - soem si new stuff to do, another is more creature parts. Afaik the patches grant extra creature parts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Like most Peter Molyneux games, the concept is brilliant, but the end game is extremely disappointing (I'm looking at you "Black & White"). The demo of Spore IS all the fun parts. Though I suppose for a younger child they might get some fun out of the early 'stages' of the game.

It's a completely harmless PG game, and no worries with installation on 2nd or 3rd machines.

Just try to pick it up cheap. It's not worth even €20.

• Advertisement
Advertisement