Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Political Party?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

The public perception is of Fianna Fail being an untrustworthy party, Fianna Gael going backwards, the Greens being hypocritical and headed towards oblivion, Labour not having clear cut policies, Sinn Fein gone as far as they will and independents in not being well..independent in the majority. What I wanted to know was is there room for a fresh, new, vibrant political party in this country??What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Depends, you have outlined the problems but what are your solutions? Why do you think this party could succeed where the other parties have failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We get one of these thread about every two weeks, usually asking roughly the same question (hey, it's a popular question). Rather than just repeating what's gone before, tombliboo83, what kind of policies, intentions, aspirations would you like to see in a new political party? You don't have to write the world's greatest political essay (or any sort of essay!) but if you had the chance to design your own political party aside from those who are currently in existence, what sort of stuff would you like them to be into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I would like a taoiseach who up-dates the nation regularly on T.V. and radio. We all need to feel involved, theres no human touch. A young leader, one with balls.
    I want a country where everyone contributes i.e. lowering tax band, lowering min wage, cut social welfare drastically, invest in education substantially, spend the money nacessary for proper broadband nationwide, scrap plans for underground Dart connector, mandatory redundancy for replaceable senior civil servants.
    Reopen debate on abortion, gay marriage.
    Make TDs' expenses fully transparent and reduce salary. I'm for living within our means and taking the steps now to ensure our kids wont have to leave this country in the future.
    Just a flavour of what I'd like however I don't see Irish politics "going forward" anytime soon.
    O and I would like for stupid backbenchers to kick off about real issues like the miscarriage of democracy in having 3 bi-elections pending, it should be seen to immediately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Above lies the reason why we probably won't have a coherent new party that represents everyone who's simply disenfranchised by the current corruption.

While there are a few things you suggest that I'd agree with, the first thing that came into your head was "Taoiseach on TV" ?

I certainly don't want to watch Cowen trot out the "we're unpopular because of our tough-but-necessary decisions" lie any more than I already hear it from every FF mouthpiece.

There's no point in someone appearing on TV unless they have something worth saying.

There's also no reason to believe that a young Taoiseach would be automatically capable; while we certainly need new-to-politics faces, untainted by the "boys' club" and corruption, young people do not have the monopoly on "balls".

And I can guess that - if everything was going swimmingly (or at least appearing to) - then we would see a Taoiseach on TV every few days telling us how brilliant he is.....

....the reason we don't is because - as per the banking reports - he's directly culpable for our current climate.

I'm all for living within our means too, having a sustainable Ireland, but I have no interest in being on the breadline with Anglo and NAMA nooses around my neck so that people in the present or future get off scot-free.....yes, future generations shouldn't have to pay, because they had nothing to do with the cause of the crash; but likewise I had nothing to do with it......if you compare like with like, I should be treated the same as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

There are new parties forming, the liberals, AN and others - but change takes time

• Advertisement
Advertisement