Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options
  • 27-12-2014 5:18pm

Up the Premier! New thread for 2015 officially opened

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Up the Premier! New thread for 2015 officially opened
    Why not on the GAA forum?.. just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

An all Ireland winning year for Tipp hurlers hopefully.
    and a good year for the footballers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Charlie69 wrote: »

Good point. Mods, get on the case....

I don't want to sound too optimistic, but Tipp will definitely win the All-Ireland next year ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

No reason i don't think, it started here about 5 years ago so this just became home for the Tipp GAA thread

Have to feel we'll do well this year in both codes, footballers should be pushing to finish top half of division 3 and to give Kerry a good rattle, see what happens.
    Hurlers need to kick on from last year, KK will be strong and there's a lot of counties that will feel they under-perfomed last year but we're good enough to do it

• Advertisement

More out of habit at this stage. The first thread was opened on the Tipperary forum way back in 2010 so its just been kept here since.

GerB40 wrote: »
    I don't want to sound too optimistic, but Tipp will definitely win the All-Ireland next year ;);)

Until we begin to get a bit cuter and more ruthless we'll continue to be bridesmaids.

I feel its shít or get off the pot time for Noelie this year personally. Seriously talented hurler but fact is if he was a Kilkenny man he wouldnt be within a sniff of their team with his level of performances and ultimately that has been the difference between the two sides. They set the bar just that bit higher.

The penny finally dropped for Seamie last year but i feel all eyes are now firmly on Noel in 2015. I dont like to run down any amateur athlete but i would hate for him not to fulfill his undoubted potential for the sake of an extra few percent.

Until we begin to get a bit cuter and more ruthless we'll continue to be bridesmaids.

I feel its shít or get off the pot time for Noelie this year personally. Seriously talented hurler but fact is if he was a Kilkenny man he wouldnt be within a sniff of their team with his level of performances and ultimately that has been the difference between the two sides. They set the bar just that bit higher.

The penny finally dropped for Seamie last year but i feel all eyes are now firmly on Noel in 2015. I dont like to run down any amateur athlete but i would hate for him not to fulfill his undoubted potential for the sake of an extra few percent.

It was a Fr Ted reference, believe me when I say I'm not so arrogant as to think Tipp have it in the bag for 2015. The team that worries me more than any other is Limerick. Once they start playing with a bit more consistency they're deadly. It's good to see Wexford playing well too but I doubt they'll be a major threat for Tipp. I'd give them a year or two.

I think Shane McGrath hit his stride a bit too late this year so perhaps we'll see a return of the 2009 McGrath. Hopefully anyway. Cathal Barrett has been a great solution to our traditional achilles heel, the backs. But your right, Noelie will need to play to his best. His 'on' days are superb but when he's not playin well he's useless..

On paper we have a mighty, powerful and skillful team than could beat anyone. But O Shea needs to be more ruthless. If someone's playing shít they need to be subbed.. If Eamon gets all the pieces together we are definitely in for a shot at Liam McCarthy but all the little mistakes from last year need to be rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chunkylover95

Think 2015 could be a big year for Forde and Niall O Meara, can see them as regulars come June. Would like to see a few more North lads added to the panel.

Think 2015 could be a big year for Forde and Niall O Meara, can see them as regulars come June. Would like to see a few more North lads added to the panel.

Id personally prefer to see the very best available added to the panel no matter where they are from. If my own club who have served the county well in recent times are deemed to have no one good enough then so be it but i cant help thinking that given the fact we have 66 adult hurling clubs we are seriously under utilised. There could be hidden gems in small junior clubs around the west and south of the county and sadly they will never get the chance to hurl at intercounty level. At a time where GAA is facing the competition from other codes the county board really need to start pulling the stops out and making the games more attractive to the children of today. The sad decline of GAA in both Cashel and Fethard should be a stark reminder of how nothing should be taken for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I know a few lads won't like this - but I've been saying it for years - The sooner Noel concentrates on one sport the sooner we'll see him at his best for the hurlers...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/burnout-reaches-breaking-point-30865612.html?utm_source=indoshare&utm_medium=socialoremail&utm_campaign=indoshare

I know a few lads won't like this - but I've been saying it for years - The sooner Noel concentrates on one sport the sooner we'll see him at his best for the hurlers...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/burnout-reaches-breaking-point-30865612.html?utm_source=indoshare&utm_medium=socialoremail&utm_campaign=indoshare

It is possible that burnout is Noels issue.

It's a tough one - as he is performing at a high level - it's just we all know he is capable of being one of the best hurlers in the country - Has he won an All-star since 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

GerB40 wrote: »
    Good point. Mods, get on the case....

Surprised at you Ger..

Surprised at you Ger..

I surprise myself sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Id personally prefer to see the very best available added to the panel no matter where they are from. If my own club who have served the county well in recent times are deemed to have no one good enough then so be it but i cant help thinking that given the fact we have 66 adult hurling clubs we are seriously under utilised. There could be hidden gems in small junior clubs around the west and south of the county and sadly they will never get the chance to hurl at intercounty level. At a time where GAA is facing the competition from other codes the county board really need to start pulling the stops out and making the games more attractive to the children of today. The sad decline of GAA in both Cashel and Fethard should be a stark reminder of how nothing should be taken for granted.

I agree 100% re the best being picked but in relation to hidden gems in rural clubs I'd like to add that with the way the development squads are now set up, it's very unlikely that there are any hidden gems left to unearth. Once in the system at u14/16 level they're getting more exposure now than they would have got 20 odd years ago. If they aren't in the system at that stage it's either the clubs fault or the lads over the divisional development squads fault.

We do need to find a few hurlers next year. Personally I think we need a goalkeeper. Although Gleeson won an All-Star, I don't think he's at the standard required.

We need to persevere with James Barry at full back. As the year went on, the better he got, in there.

From 2-9 I feel we've 9 hurlers who are very capable of holding down spots. Saint will possibly lose his place to Micky Cahill though, although I'd really like to see Cahill tried in Midfield for an extended period.

Paudie Maher needs to step up big time this year. Outstanding at times but brutal at times too.

We need to unearth another ball winning forward. It'll hopefully be Niall O' Meara. It'll probably push Lar/Noel McGrath/Gar Ryan out of the team but we need a least 1 more on top of O' Meara to come in. I'm not sure if Denis Maher is the answer. I'd like to see Collins, from Dom, get a good run in the League but I'm not sure if he has the pace. Jason Forde needs to step up this year, too.

Tipp had the same starting 15 for 4 or 5 games last year. There's something drastically wrong when that's the case.

I don't think there is anything drastically wrong when you're getting beaten in replays of ALL-Ireland finals... - the year before went wrong. Not this year - Kilkenny have a great squad not just team - how many counties around the country have great teams in either code never mind great squads - not many...

Tipp are not far away at all - you'd just worry that maybe coming teams Limerick and Clare might be better placed now in terms of age balance to their squads - we are a long time on the road now with this squad - have took a lot of defeats in big games - this squad might have missed their opportunity. That's the main worry, as far as I see it. Regardless of that point, Kilkenny are still raging hot favourites again this year - when you look at how the boys who came in for KK performed in the replay it just underlines their strength. Plus, they have excellent young players coming through. You'd imagine Walter Walsh will not be as bad again next year or will lose his squad place. He'll be back with a bang. Limerick will come on again - Clare will be back - have too much talent not to. Cork are figuring things out.

We need two tough men for the forwards - O'Riordan, Bill Walsh (good paw on him and strong but needs to improve his ball skills and running off the ball though), and Niall O'Meara (it's a shame Buggy can't sort his discipline out) are worth looking at - no reason bonner can't improve his hand passing and ball striking either. Collins has been tried before but has not made it yet... - Hoefully, Denis Maher can come on again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chunkylover95

I think Gleeson is fine he has made the position his own and settled, he was phenomenal in the semi last year and in the replay he was in many people opinion our best on the day. Who would you put in for him, Egan? Logue? I can see where you're coming from but to chop and change the gk position again would be highly unnecessary.
    It would be good to see O'Riordan this year alright but playing dual will always be tough. Ronan Maher could have a big say this year, he was serious for Thurles Sars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Would agree and furthermore it should not change from year to year, it should be allowed to run on from year to year until it reaches it's maximum number of posts. It would make it a lot easier for future researchers to find the facts and contemporary comment being made at the time.

In the meantime thanks to everyone who has made a positive contribution here and long may they continue to do so.

Happy New Year Everyone.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

tipp playing wexford in cashel jan 11th in leahy park

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »
    tipp playing wexford in cashel jan 11th in leahy park

That should be a good game. I was delighted to see Wexfords improvement last year. They're a proud hurling county who deserve more than they've got in the last few years.

This game is by no means a certainty. Tipp will be experimenting with a couple of the younger lads who know full well that this is the last time they'll get to impress Eamon Ó Shea. And if they want to play championship hurling this year they'll undoubtedly want to play out of their skin.

Wexford on the other hand will just want to win.

I reckon experience will be a major factor so we should win it. But I'm just happy that the hurling is back soon. Hopefully Tipp can keep up with the standards they set themselves last year..

2015 here we come!!!!

Id imagine it will be very experimental from both sides - There'll be lots of opportunities for players in the pre-league tournaments to try get a place in the squad for the league....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Good win for Tipp U-21 footballers in the Hastings Cup.
    Massive expectations for this squad for 2015. A Munster win would do nicely but they have potential to go a lot further.

https://tipperary.gaa.ie/hastings-cup-21-football-tipperary-1-6-kildare-1-5/

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Paddico wrote: »
    Good win for Tipp U-21 footballers in the Hastings Cup.
    Massive expectations for this squad for 2015. A Munster win would do nicely but they have potential to go a lot further.

https://tipperary.gaa.ie/hastings-cup-21-football-tipperary-1-6-kildare-1-5/

Good few lads there from last year , very little training done yet though by any of the Under 21 Counties .

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

OAOB wrote: »
    No reason i don't think, it started here about 5 years ago so this just became home for the Tipp GAA thread

Have to feel we'll do well this year in both codes, footballers should be pushing to finish top half of division 3 and to give Kerry a good rattle, see what happens.
    Hurlers need to kick on from last year, KK will be strong and there's a lot of counties that will feel they under-perfomed last year but we're good enough to do it

Footballers are 2nd Favorites to win Division 3 behind Armagh who are odds on , if they play the type of football they did last year they should go up . Some great Forwards but the defence needs to tighten up .

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Question for ye Tipp folk, will EOS persist with James Barry at full back for 2015? He didn't look that comfortable in there to me. More of a wing back for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Answers my question I suppose, let's see who is experimented with. Mickey will be a big loss for ye, I wish him all the best, felt he deserved more game time in those finals, even up front to win a bit of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Good few lads there from last year , very little training done yet though by any of the Under 21 Counties .

I think only Michael Quinlivin is missing from last years team.

The Tipperary minor football team to play Kerry (2012) in Sunday’s Electric Ireland Munster championship final at Pairc na nGael, Limerick is:
    1. Evan Comerford (Clonmel Commercials)
    2. Darren Cass (Clonmel Commercials)
    3. James Feehan (Killeneule)
    4. Lorcan Egan (Loughmore Castleiney)
    5. Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Commercials)
    6. Dylan Fitzelle (Cashel King Cormacs) CAPTAIN
    7. Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    8. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    9. Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials)
    10. Jason Lonergan (Clonmel Commercials)
    11. John Martin (Ballyporeen)
    12. Greg Henry (Killenaule)
    13. Colman Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    14. Philip Quirke (Moyle Rovers)
    15. Tom Kirwan (Ardfinnan)

• Advertisement

Should be an opportunity to get an extended look at both Breen and Meagher provided they stay injury free...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement