Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

Options
  • 17-02-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all long time watcher first time poster.im 22 my partners 26.

We have lived in our flat for 8 months . The flat is an old house which was converted into two flats- so we live upstairs and there is a downstairs flat too.

.no one lived downstairs at all so i could do washing at any time (was handy cos of the diff shifts and we are both chefs so our clothes have to be washed every night)

Anyway last month a woman and her fella moved in.

They are both in their 30s, she works nights and he works days.

Fair enough, but i work from 8am- 6pm, and my partner works from 4pm- 11pm, and as we are both in the food industry we need our clothes clean every day for the job as its the rule, we only get one set of clothes so we have to clean our clothes every day and have em ready for work the next shift.So at 6.30am i stick my fellas clothes in the wash(Cuz 11.30s too late to have the washin machine on)

The landlord came to me sayin that the woman downstairs was giving out cos i had the washer on so early, So i told my fella to stick his clothes in the wash when he came straight home at 11ish, and then the landlord came up and said the man downstairs was bitchin that he couldnt sleep cos of the washer

Im sorry if this seems insensitive but im pissed here- We work diff shifts and have to wash our clothes-Just like they do-But cos their washers in the shed we dont hear it.

I told the landlord this and he mentioned it to them and for 2 weeks it was ok- then my shifts changed and i was up at 5am(cos i was switched to a restaurant in another county) and the bitching started again-Ive tried speaking to them but all i get is "Its not my problem"

Im not moving- We were here first and I dont see why we should move we are settled and happy

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

Could the landlord not move your washing machine to the shed also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

minimini wrote: »
    Hi all long time watcher first time poster.im 22 my partners 26.

We have lived in our flat for 8 months . The flat is an old house which was converted into two flats- so we live upstairs and there is a downstairs flat too.

.no one lived downstairs at all so i could do washing at any time (was handy cos of the diff shifts and we are both chefs so our clothes have to be washed every night)

Anyway last month a woman and her fella moved in.

They are both in their 30s, she works nights and he works days.

Fair enough, but i work from 8am- 6pm, and my partner works from 4pm- 11pm, and as we are both in the food industry we need our clothes clean every day for the job as its the rule, we only get one set of clothes so we have to clean our clothes every day and have em ready for work the next shift.So at 6.30am i stick my fellas clothes in the wash(Cuz 11.30s too late to have the washin machine on)

The landlord came to me sayin that the woman downstairs was giving out cos i had the washer on so early, So i told my fella to stick his clothes in the wash when he came straight home at 11ish, and then the landlord came up and said the man downstairs was bitchin that he couldnt sleep cos of the washer

Im sorry if this seems insensitive but im pissed here- We work diff shifts and have to wash our clothes-Just like they do-But cos their washers in the shed we dont hear it.

I told the landlord this and he mentioned it to them and for 2 weeks it was ok- then my shifts changed and i was up at 5am(cos i was switched to a restaurant in another county) and the bitching started again-Ive tried speaking to them but all i get is "Its not my problem"

Im not moving- We were here first and I dont see why we should move we are settled and happy

Help

You may find the landlord is to blame. There are special rules regarding splitting houses in to two flats, particularly around teh issue of noise polution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Do you have only one set of work clothes each? Why don't you buy a few more sets each and then do combined wash during acceptable hours (i.e. between 7am and 11pm) every day or two? It seems like you're creating a problem where there needn't be one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't think it matters that you're there first. They're paying rent & are entitled to be noise free at certain hours.

I guess get a second set of clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I don't think it matters that you're there first. They're paying rent & are entitled to be noise free at certain hours.

I guess get a second set of clothes

Anytime I worked with a uniform, the minimum set was 3: one to wear, one in the wardrobe and one in the wash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement