Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First date with older woman

• 05-02-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭

Hi i recently got with a girl. Shes 30 and im 25. Away from the politics of all this, Im wondering what would be a good idea for first date?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Quiet drink in a bar for lot of chat and get to know each other. Not cinema anyways. Dinner if you like that sort of thing, would be nervous myself to eat on a first date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thanks. I probably should have been more detailed though - i know her 6 years (friend of a friend) :D

Quiet drink sounds a decent idea, but im open to other suggestions too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Thanks. I probably should have been more detailed though - i know her 6 years (friend of a friend) :D

A walk in the countryside on Saturday, bring along a flask of coffee, some nice sandwiches and chocolate or cakes for a picnic along the way? You said you wanted different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If she is some one you have know for a while as a friend then you will want to consider doing something which is clearly a date and not just two friends out for an evening or an outing.

After 6 years you should know what she does and doesn't like and tailor it to that, a romantic meal or picnic or something she has expressed a desire to do but hasn't managed to get a round to it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the ghost bus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭evry1sm8

dont do the ghost bus i heard its crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

evry1sm8 wrote: »
    dont do the ghost bus i heard its crap

Crap and it stinks! If you are in Dublin, may I suggest Salamanca (Spanish and Tapas) for Dinner prehaps followed by drinks in Cafe En Seine or the Mint bar at the Westbury hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Why don't you bring her to the Light Scape exhibitions. Google it. Find out where the exhibits are and then go and enjoy yourselves. Its something different , then out for dinner and a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

All the above are good.
    Do you really think a 30 year old qualifies as 'an older woman'? Be careful how you answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Haven't a load of your threads been locked for asking the same basic advi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hehehehe. Had to laugh at this one myself.

When I read the title, I thought it would be like a 25 YO Male and a 40-50 YO woman.

Hehehehehehehehehe.

Why cant you do the things that you normally do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

30 vs 25 is only 'older' by virtue of maths, do the same stuff that you'd do with a 25-year-old woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you already know each other a meal and a drink somewhere quiet where you can have a good chat in a relaxing atmosphere.

(Oh as others say I wouldn't call her an older woman at 30!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

Is it a date or you wanna see if it will be smth else?
    Older ...u make me laugh 30 and 25, i thought u'll meet a 40 years woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Quiet drinks and romantic dinners are all very good but with a first date i find you want to reduce the chances of awkward silences as much as possible and nothing is as memorable as laughter, so i'd suggest a comedy show....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Now I'm depressed if an older woman is 30!

First date, play it safe... a drink and/or meal, although I love the suggestion of a comedy club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Can you tell us any interests/hobbies she has? Might be able to come up with a few ideas around that. That age difference is nothing by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

...Oh,...Mrs Robinson...are you trying to seduce me? :D

Just meant older numerically. Ah gals, the glass is always half empty with ye!

Im not from the Pale, so i guess that a quiet drink in a decent bar is as imaginative as i can get for the first meeting up. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont see what the big deal is really, just cos she is a few years older then you, just go on a normal date, as you would with anyone. except to make sure you get her home by twelve in case she turns into a pumpkin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Well just cos you're not from the pale doesn't mean you have to go to a pub. What does she like? Theatre? Art gallery exhibition? Heck, even bowling? All the aforementioned could be either prefaced by a coffee/drink and a chat, or followed up with coffee/drink.
    Other options - day out at a coastal area (drive a scenic route, stop for a meal, beachwalking, etc) visit touristy spots nearby, museums, nice meal in a nice restaurant, a gig(make sure it's someone/something she likes though), etc etc.

and FWIW 5 years is not a big gap in terms of age, and certainly don't let her hear you refer to her as an "older woman" or you may be stepping into a world of pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Viking Spash Tour (if you're in Dublin) and drinks afterwards. Can't go wrong with a bit of Viking Spash and it also means that subconciously she'll think of you as a primitive viking and she'll probably allow you to "plunder her village (if you know what I mean).

echosound wrote: »
    and FWIW 5 years is not a big gap in terms of age, and certainly don't let her hear you refer to her as an "older woman" or you may be stepping into a world of pain!

Ha when you say "world of pain" im picturing Mr T in that ad!

Nothing wrong with a quiet drink, but dont go to the usual pub where you have mixed as 'friends' in the past. A date needs to be different and she will appreciate you all the more if you have tried to make it special. If you own a car the 'Pale' is only an hour away, make the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,495 ✭✭✭✭Esel

milkerman wrote: »
    If you own a car the 'Pale' is only an hour away, make the effort.
    Can I buy one of those cars?

OP: Can't see any problem. Apart from you thinking she is an older woman.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »

I stand corrected. But with a Ferrari it might still be true!
    :D

esel wrote: »

OP: Can't see any problem. Apart from you thinking she is an older woman.

Older=older than me
    30>25

Thats older. Men think in logic. I do anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,495 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Older=older than me
    30>25

Thats older. Men think in logic. I do anyway :p
    So, if she was 26, would she still be an 'older woman'? Use your logic. Anyway, no matter what age she is, you are obviously too young for her. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Just meant older numerically.
    Ah, but you must think the gap is significant, otherwise you wouldn't be posting for date advice? :)
    There's barely any difference between 25 and 30. Just do whatever. As others have pointed out, she's not a 48-year-old divorcee whose "night on the tiles" days are over.
    By the way, whoever suggested the picnic idea must think 30 is pretty much the same as 75...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

1, The age difference is insignificant, although when I was 25 I went out with a 30 year old and thought it was a big deal. Looking back it wasn't.

and 2, Just go for a quiet drink somewhere. No point putting added pressure on yourself trying to think of something "different" to do, save all that for the second date, well only if the old folks home lets her out for a second date!

Advertisement