Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun License application

Options
  • 17-07-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Im 26, no criminal convictions. looking to get a licence for a .22 rifle.

I have downloaded the forms for the application and see one section about proof of competence. Is there a course i need to complete??

Gun club membership is sorted and dad has a gun safe in the house already. (I'm presuming we can use the same. it only contains his shotgun at the moment.)

Also for the character reference… is parish priest and my friend who's a chartered accountant suitable???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Guys,

Im 26, no criminal convictions. looking to get a licence for a .22 rifle.

I have downloaded the forms for the application and see one section about proof of competence. Is there a course i need to complete??

Gun club membership is sorted and dad has a gun safe in the house already. (I'm presuming we can use the same. it only contains his shotgun at the moment.)

Also for the character reference… is parish priest and my friend who's a chartered accountant suitable???

You should be fine, shouldn't be a problem. I have had several licences for both rifle and shotgun rimfire centerfire etc.... since i was 18. Yes you will probably have to do a short course so the super knows you are safe etc... it is a good thing in my opinion as i have met many to many lads i wouldn't trust with a patato gun who have licneces. Anyway some of them don't make it a requirement but most will. If i were going to recommended and course to you it would have to be the NRA certified courses. There are alot of them out there that arent worth a damn and are mostly orientated towards shotgun with people not really knowing what they are going on about.
    If you have a look on here you will find contact details for someone who can help you in that department.
    Your references should be fine, they are just looking for someone who knows you and can say you are a good lad etc... I have never had one called and dont know anyone who has either.
    I would check about the safe with your firearms officer as they may not like you both having access to firearms you don't have a licence for etc..

Good luck anyway. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

juice1304 wrote: »
    You should be fine, shouldn't be a problem. I have had several licences for both rifle and shotgun rimfire centerfire etc.... since i was 18. Yes you will probably have to do a short course so the super knows you are safe etc... it is a good thing in my opinion as i have met many to many lads i wouldn't trust with a patato gun who have licneces. Anyway some of them don't make it a requirement but most will. If i were going to recommended and course to you it would have to be the NRA certified courses. There are alot of them out there that arent worth a damn and are mostly orientated towards shotgun with people not really knowing what they are going on about.
    If you have a look on here you will find contact details for someone who can help you in that department.
    Your references should be fine, they are just looking for someone who knows you and can say you are a good lad etc... I have never had one called and dont know anyone who has either.
    I would check about the safe with your firearms officer as they may not like you both having access to firearms you don't have a licence for etc..

Good luck anyway. :]

Thanks very much mate. Who would be my firearms officer?? Should i ask in the local garda station??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Thanks very much mate. Who would be my firearms officer?? Should i ask in the local garda station??

Yes, there will be a garda or sergeant that deals with all applications in your local station. Word of advice, only deal with them and give them paperwork etc directly. Don't leave things in for them. Oh and keep a copy of everything you submit.

Advertisement