Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting day for Palestine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I was under the impression that it was completely pointless given that Israel isn't a member of the ICC, but it seems that the ICC will have jurisdiction over any war crimes that happen in Palestine itself, leaving Israelis open to prosecution. And even better, the UNSC doesn't get involved. Good stuff.

Countries which do recognize the court have an obligation to assist it. Therefore, if Israeli officials are wanted for questioning, they will not be able to travel to any countries which are signatories to the Rome statute without being arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Countries which do recognize the court have an obligation to assist it. Therefore, if Israeli officials are wanted for questioning, they will not be able to travel to any countries which are signatories to the Rome statute without being arrested.

Ah, very interesting. The entirety of Europe then.

Ah, very interesting. The entirety of Europe then.

Pretty much, yes. IDF officials and officials from Netanyahu's government would effectively be barred from travelling to Europe (or to any other nations which recognize the court, of which there are many). Not sure how far down the chain of command such a case would extend in terms of the Israeli army, does anyone know how that would work? Would they be prosecuting ground troops, generals, sergeants, or at what level of authority would the line generally be drawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Pretty much, yes. IDF officials and officials from Netanyahu's government would effectively be barred from travelling to Europe (or to any other nations which recognize the court, of which there are many). Not sure how far down the chain of command such a case would extend in terms of the Israeli army, does anyone know how that would work? Would they be prosecuting ground troops, generals, sergeants, or at what level of authority would the line generally be drawn?
    You would think they would stop at the Defence ministry. Dont think it would be right to charge troops as they are only doing what there told.

Cant see anything coming of this unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Dont think it would be right to charge troops as they are only doing what there told.

While this would make sense, I have no doubt in my mind that soldiers didn't commit war crimes through their own initiative while in certain situations. There were many incidents of people coming out of houses with hands up explaining their innocence, the IDF's ground troops were merciless regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,643 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You would think they would stop at the Defence ministry. Dont think it would be right to charge troops as they are only doing what there told.

Cant see anything coming of this unfortunately.

It would be pretty ironic for the Israeli soldiers to employ the Nuremberg defence.

http://www.adversity.net/Terms_Definitions/TERMS/Nuremberg_Defense.htm
    The term "Nuremberg Defense" was originally coined during the Nazi war crimes trials at Nuremberg after World War II.  Nazi war criminals who were charged with genocide, mass murder, torture and other atrocities used the defense "I was only following orders" so frequently that the argument became known generically as "The Nuremberg Defense".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I don't know whether it's sad, ironic or funny that there is a legitimate global discussion, not on the topic of whether or not the government of Israel and it's agents have committed war crimes, but whether they should be investigated and prosecuted for the possibility of the same or if it is somehow (as their supporters suggest) justifiable that they can bully their way out of the situation by withholding funds from the PA. What a a bunch of thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I see the Israeli embassy in Dublin responded to an article that they didnt like in the Irish Examiner.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/israels-delay-in-transferring-tax-revenue-provoked-by-palestines-oslo-violations-306110.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I see the Israeli embassy in Dublin responded to an article that they didnt like in the Irish Examiner.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/israels-delay-in-transferring-tax-revenue-provoked-by-palestines-oslo-violations-306110.html

They must be joking as the Israeli government has violated the crap out of the Oslo accords, and not to mention the Geneva convention via there colonial settlements in the West Bank. The Israeli governments action in regards to Palestinian tax revenues is utter stupidity as a weak PA, will hurt Israel as well, seeing as the PA, do actively work with Israel.

I see the war criminal Nethanyahu is in Paris now for some good publicity, and has said all jews in France are welcome in Israel. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

The Israeli Embassy in Dublin (@IsraelInIreland) are essentially professional, well paid trolls. Honestly, looking at their Twitter I've seen more well thought out discourse on 4chan - they seem to relish winding people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

The Israeli Embassy in Dublin (@IsraelInIreland) are essentially professional, well paid trolls. Honestly, looking at their Twitter I've seen more well thought out discourse on 4chan - they seem to relish winding people up.

Their facebook page is shocking...such blatant propaganda that a 4 yr old could see it for what it is.Having said that I had to laugh when they reposted the hoax claim that eminem was converting to judaism:)

How those 2 got any position within the israeli diplomatic corps is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I see the war criminal Nethanyahu is in Paris now for some good publicity, and has said all jews in France are welcome in Israel. Unbelievable.

Apparently they asked him not to come but he had the gall to attend anyway
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-march-president-hollande-asked-israels-netanyahu-not-to-attend-paris-march-9971995.html

Nodin wrote: »

You just know deep down that they don't really care what happened in Paris and are going out of there way with there condolences just to boost there popularity around the world after what happened in Gaza last year.

^ It's worse than that IMO, they're trying to frame the fight against Islamic extremism in Europe as exactly the same fight they're having with Hamas & co, as if the motives etc are the same. In doing so, they hope to shame those who support the Palestinians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Looks like a Liberal Democrat MP's tweet is after annoying somebody.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/israel-protests-nick-clegg-netanyahu-tweet-david-ward

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

Looks like a Liberal Democrat MP's tweet is after annoying somebody.

Clearly David Ward is not quite right in the head to be tweeting something like that so soon after the atrocities in Paris. He seems really rather bitter and twisted. I can understand the offence it caused but he's obviously an oddball.

Bibi's presence was hugely important; as is explained by the Israeli ambassador in the article. At a time when European Jews are being targeted by Islamists for violent attacks, it is so important to continue to affirm that Israel will be there for them when nobody else is.

......seeing as the idea was to promote the idea that nobody else was there except Israel, it rather underlines how they were right not to have invited him in the first place.

Meanwhile, the Israeli embassy has been winning friends again
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/charlie-hebdo-israeli-embassy-in-ireland-defends-post-of-hijabclad-mona-lisa-cradling-rocket-30908083.html

Sufa wrote: »

Bibi's presence was hugely important; as is explained by the Israeli ambassador in the article. At a time when European Jews are being targeted by Islamists for violent attacks, it is so important to continue to affirm that Israel will be there for them when nobody else is.

How on earth are Jews in France being targeted? It was an attack on the publication, they didnt target any specific religion. The police officer that was murdered by them was Muslim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,643 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How on earth are Jews in France being targeted? It was an attack on the publication, they didnt target any specific religion. The police officer that was murdered by them was Muslim.

The moment she called it Bibi was enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Did you miss the fact that a Jewish supermarket was attacked as well?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Did you miss the fact that a Jewish supermarket was attacked as well?

They don't care what religion people are, they've also killed 1000's of Christians and Muslims too with there twisted ideology. Jews arent being targeted, its innocent western civilians from all backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

For those wondering, a recent statistic I came across was that when combining the confirmed number of victims of ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram etc, over 90 % of the victims are muslim !!!

Israel are manipulating the Paris tragedy by more or less saying to France, "we told you so, now be on our side". Hamas are a resistance group and are no longer classed as a "terror" organisation by the EU (they never should have been imo !).

http://rt.com/news/215143-hamas-off-terror-list/

Be very aware of the Israeli propaganda machine, behind the tears and despair at the funerals of the 4 dead, the Israeli propaganda machine is secretly rubbing its hands together !

^ I still regard Hamas as a terrorist organization personally, but the idea of using the Paris tragedy to subtly dig the Palestinians is moronic and sick.

I also love the repeated use of the phrase "delegitimize Israel" by these clowns, as if the Israeli state in its current form is somehow guaranteed legitimacy to begin with. Maybe if they're being "delegitimized" it's because their behavior is illegitimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Looks like Big Brother is weighing in

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/1.637579

Not surprising at all but I particularly loved this line;

"The place to resolve the differences between the parties is through direct negotiation, not unilateral actions by either side."

Which translates into,

"The place to resolve the differences between the parties is through direct negotiation, not unilateral actions by the PA. The Isreali's of course can do as they please, including unilateral actions such as; illegal blockades & military invasion."

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »

"The place to resolve the differences between the parties is through direct negotiation, not unilateral actions by either side."

Which translates into,

"The place to resolve the differences between the parties is through direct negotiation, not unilateral actions by the PA. The Isreali's of course can do as they please, including unilateral actions such as; illegal blockades & military invasion."

It's like a grim black comedy betimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

JRant wrote: »

Which translates into,

It appears that the Yanks and Israelis are sh1tting themselves. The big bullys are being called out and they don't like it one bit.

It should help rein Israel in from seizing more land and indisciminately killing Palestinians for a while at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's exactly what they want! They not only don't want non Jews they only want white ones, Arian thinking at its finest, obviously they learned many things back in the camps.

Care to back that wonderful remark up? Or is that your own anti-sematic deluded view of the world?

Care to back that wonderful remark up? Or is that your own anti-sematic deluded view of the world?

Anti semitic =/= Anti Israel.
    Anti American =/= Anti Obama Administration.
    Anti Irish =/= Anti current government.

Etc. Once again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement