Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting day for Palestine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Nodin wrote: »
    And what justifies this occupation and colonisation, in your mind?

I don't feel that I need to justify my stance on Israel to you or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Robroy36 wrote: »

Then you've missed the whole point of what Boards is all about then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Then you've missed the whole point of what Boards is all about then.

Boards.ie does not allow free speech, anyone with consevative opinions is eventually harased off the site or banned. I have made it clear in other threads where I draw the line just as I have on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I asked how you justify it in your own mind ie to yourself. What justifies the occupation and colonisation of the West Bank, Gaza and Arab East Jerusalem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I asked how you justify it in your own mind ie to yourself. What justifies the occupation and colonisation of the West Bank, Gaza and Arab East Jerusalem?

He cannot, that is why he wont answer the question.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He cannot, that is why he wont answer the question.

O he has to have a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Latest news is that Jewish settlers attacked a convoy of US diplomats visiting the West Bank.

http://www.voanews.com/content/settler-attack-diplomats-west-bank/2584127.html

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

1123heavy wrote: »
    Israel are far worse than Hamas,

Do... do you actually believe this? Have you ever read any of their publications or read what their end goals are? Read their charter/covenant. They openly say that their goal is to kill every Jew in Israel, no compromises. They couldn't care less if their rockets hit a Jewish tank or a Jewish kindergarden.

They also have no problem using their own people as shields to protect and hide their rockets. They even hide rockets near aid agencies whose goals are to help the local population as we learned from the aid agencies themselves last year.

Israel are certainly not saints, they have a lot to answer for too. But Hamas is many many times worse than Israel and I'd like to hear how you can possible defend your point that Hamas are better?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭tbradman

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    This may be a naive question, but anyway! What exactly, or who, determines if a country is a country. I understand individual countries can recognize other countries, but is there a legal body that eventual decides?

Actually it's a pretty good question and worth a Google... There is no legal body which decides this, basically it comes down to whether other current states recognise the new "entity". Taiwan for example fits all of the criteria of a modern state (single government ruling over a defined territory, with a permanent population, sets its own taxes and excises. Has its own defence forces and can enter into foreign agreements with other nations). Yet nobody wants to recognise it as such in case they offend China. As Yugoslavia broke up bits of it were recognised by Germany, Russia, etc as it suited their geopolitical view. Even though most of the individual entity states were very "shaky" for the first couple of years.

Manach wrote: »
    On the plus side for Palestine, they are now signed up to the International Criminal Court as per http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30645462.

Um... Actually Palestine has applied to join the ICC, it's not a done deal just yet from what I read. They have submitted their application and it will take 60 days to be considered. One problem is that only states can join the ICC. As to whether Palestine is a state, it is still being debated...

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/01/palestinians-submit-icc-application-201512155450286955.html

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Do... do you actually believe this? Have you ever read any of their publications or read what their end goals are? Read their charter/covenant. They openly say that their goal is to kill every Jew in Israel, no compromises. They couldn't care less if their rockets hit a Jewish tank or a Jewish kindergarden.

They also have no problem using their own people as shields to protect and hide their rockets. They even hide rockets near aid agencies whose goals are to help the local population as we learned from the aid agencies themselves last year.

Israel are certainly not saints, they have a lot to answer for too. But Hamas is many many times worse than Israel and I'd like to hear how you can possible defend your point that Hamas are better?

It speaks volumes of the Palestinian people that they would vote for these barbaric savages.

• Advertisement

It speaks volumes of the Palestinian people that they would vote for these barbaric savages.

Are you going to enlighten us as to why you support Israels program of colonisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Irish people voted fpr SF in the 70's/80's. People will vote for the only people who are standing up for them. It also says volumes about the Israeli people who vote in governments who allow illegal settlements, the illegal possession of Palestinian land and who actively murder innocent civilians. As for Hamas using people as human shields, It's been proven that this is a tactic used by the IDF,

As for Hamas using people as human shields, It's been proven that this is a tactic used by the IDF,

Source on this claim?

Source on this claim?

Until 2005 Israel used human shields as part of official practice. Since then it has occurred unoffically.
    http://www.btselem.org/human_shields

Are you going to explain why you support Israels policy of colonisation now?

Source on this claim?

Nodins link satisfactory enough?

All other avenues were exhausted. Diplomacy never worked for decades so they decided to go with Hamas after years of witnessing there fellow countrymen being massacred.

Nodins link satisfactory enough?

Sorry, I have put him on my ignore list - can you post it please?

Indeed.

How do you feel about The Dahiya doctrine then?

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/rania-khalek/israel-deliberately-targeting-civilians-gaza

This is a barbaric policy that has the full backing of the Knesset.

All other avenues were exhausted. Diplomacy never worked for decades so they decided to go with Hamas after years of witnessing there fellow countrymen being massacred.

Seems to be going well for them.:rolleyes:

Isreal can stop this whole thing anytime they like. They are choosing expansion over security.

There is an International consensous agreed upon by nearly everyone, excluding Isreal and the US of course, for a 2 state resolution. That would involve Isreal stopping their criminal activity, return the land they have stolen and lift the seige on Palestinians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Voting for barbaric savages? Since when did the Palestinian people start voting for the Israeli government?

Seems to be going well for them.:rolleyes:

It was no better when Arafat was there leader. Israels responses towards Hamas rockets (fireworks more like it) is an absolute disgrace and indefensible. Could you for one minute imagine Britain sending in there air force to flatten, lets say, Drogheda because of the I.R.A's bombing campaign in London etc.??

Sorry, I have put him on my ignore list - can you post it please?

Here ya go

http://www.btselem.org/human_shields

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Could you for one minute imagine Britain sending in there air force to flatten, lets say, Drogheda because of the I.R.A's bombing campaign in London etc.??

Not defending Israel here, but I really hate it when people here constantly compare "the troubles" with the Israel-Palestine conflict. It's apples and oranges really. If you want a comparable situation, it would be if our elected government fired rockets regularly at London after we got independence. Knowing Britains attitude towards us in the past, I'm pretty sure we would have been dealt with very harshly :P

Not defending Israel here, but I really hate it when people here constantly compare "the troubles" with the Israel-Palestine conflict. It's apples and oranges really. If you want a comparable situation, it would be if our elected government fired rockets regularly at London after we got independence. Knowing Britains attitude towards us in the past, I'm pretty sure we would have been dealt with very harshly :P

When did Palestine get independence?

That shows a great gap in your knowledge of the situation, tbh. Gaza is not Palestine, it is a small part of the area. The West Bank is far larger, has been on ceasefire for a decade or so, and is still being actively colonised by Israel.

I have looked closely for the last 2 minutes and have yet to find Palestine on the atlas. It is very comparable. Even before Hamas was elected Israel still bombarded the Palestinians from the sky and with ground troops. The Israeli's continue to spout the rubbish that Hamas want to wipe Israel off the map when in fact the Israelis have done that exact same thing to Palestine through there illegal occupation of there land and extermination of there people.

Hamas is as much a threat to Israels security as Cuba is to the U.S.A's. Were talking about one of the most military advanced armies in the world against a movement that make home made rockets. Its like me fighting you with a stick when your carrying a machine gun.

The propaganda the IDF spout is laughable, and what is even more laughable is that some people believe it.

That shows a great gap in your knowledge of the situation, tbh. Gaza is not Palestine, it is a small part of the area. The West Bank is far larger, has been on ceasefire for a decade or so, and is still being actively colonised by Israel.

Exactly right. Look at Isreal's cleansing of the Jordan Valley. In the 60's there were approx 300,000 palestinian's there, now there are less than 60,000.

The West bank has been divided into cantons by Isreali roads and walls with more and more land being grabbed on a daily basis.

I have looked closely for the last 2 minutes and have yet to find Palestine on the atlas. It is very comparable. Even before Hamas was elected Israel still bombarded the Palestinians from the sky and with ground troops. The Israeli's continue to spout the rubbish that Hamas want to wipe Israel off the map when in fact the Israelis have done that exact same thing to Palestine through there illegal occupation of there land and extermination of there people.

Hamas is as much a threat to Israels security as Cuba is to the U.S.A's. Were talking about one of the most military advanced armies in the world against a movement that make home made rockets. Its like me fighting you with a stick when your carrying a machine gun.

The propaganda the IDF spout is laughable, and what is even more laughable is that some people believe it.

I remember reading recently that outside of the US, Isreal have a superior airforce to any other NATO member.

• Advertisement

I think Israel are actually quite moderate in their approach to Hamas/ Palestinians. If I was head of their military I would buy a couple dozzen B52 Superfortresses from the Americans and turn Gaza and the West Bank into the next Dresden. Problem gone over the course of 2 to 3 days concerted bombing.

Mod: Banned, see mod note below.

Advertisement