Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about forming a coalition

• 21-02-2015 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I was watching Enda Kennys interview on prime time, and he was saying after the next election he would like to be back in power with labour.
    What would happen if just say fine gael got the most votes, but labour got the least, would Fine Gael have to form a government with the next highest party, or is it up to them to they want to form a government with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I was watching Enda Kennys interview on prime time, and he was saying after the next election he would like to be back in power with labour.
    What would happen if just say fine gael got the most votes, but labour got the least, would Fine Gael have to form a government with the next highest party, or is it up to them to they want to form a government with.

Well FG couldn't form a majority a few years ago when it was most likely that they'd have been able to. It seems like Labour will half and FG won't make up their seats to keep both parties in power.

But they do have a choice in who to go in with. They will negotiate with FF and SF mainly to see what the best deal is. A block of independents would do but you'd be making problems for yourself.

That's my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Well FG couldn't form a majority a few years ago when it was most likely that they'd have been able to. It seems like Labour will half and FG won't make up their seats to keep both parties in power.

But they do have a choice in who to go in with. They will negotiate with FF and SF mainly to see what the best deal is. A block of independents would do but you'd be making problems for yourself.

That's my take on it anyway.

So just say Sinn Fein get more seats then Finna Fail, Fine Gael can decide Finna fail are more suitable even though they have less seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

So just say Sinn Fein get more seats then Finna Fail, Fine Gael can decide Finna fail are more suitable even though they have less seats

That's exactly it. Which is the likely outcome as far as I know. Barring a throwaway budget and a heave from inside. But I won't keep banging that drum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It's up to them.

Any Taoiseach could appoint eleven members of the Catholic Democrats to the Seanad, appoint two of them to Government, and formally enter coalition with the Catholic Democrats, despite them not having returned a single Dail seat.

Of course, he'd have to cope with a Dail minority, or invite a third coalition party.

The point is that there is no threshold requirement in the Houses of the Oireachtas before an Oireachtas party may become eligible to enter Government. There would be problems of democratic legitimacy, but that's always been beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

I have a question too; is it always the largest party that gets to chose partners? Say Party A has 40% of the seats but Party B (30%) and Party C (21%) decide to go into coalition, could B & C form a government if A couldn't get the numbers?

Or is it possible but just very unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I have a question too; is it always the largest party that gets to chose partners? Say Party A has 40% of the seats but Party B (30%) and Party C (21%) decide to go into coalition, could B & C form a government if A couldn't get the numbers?

It does happen and has happened. In November 1982, FF were the largest party with 75 seats but the government that was formed was FG with 70 and labour with 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any party could coalesce with any other

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes of course B and C could join together.

See in 1992 this happened

FF - first 68 seats
    FG - second 45 seats
    Labour - third 33 seats
    PDs - fourth 10 seats
    DL - fifth 4 seats

92 coalition formed ff + labour
    94 gov brokedown no election coalition formed fg + lab + DL

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Don't forget that in 2007 Enda Kenny approached Sinn Fein about the possibility of going into coalition. He did this with the full knowledge of IRA/SF history. Now its 8 years further down the line and 8 years further into the peace process and he describes Sinn Fein as abhorrent.

What the exercise shows is that politicians would get into bed with anyone if it means they get the Mercs and perks. Promises made during elections are easily ignored after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

The parties will form coalitions based on seat numbers and the political calculus.
    <snip>

<Mod note - You don't need to resort to personal abuse to make your point - js>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Don't forget that in 2007 Enda Kenny approached Sinn Fein about the possibility of going into coalition. He did this with the full knowledge of IRA/SF history. Now its 8 years further down the line and 8 years further into the peace process and he describes Sinn Fein as abhorrent.

What the exercise shows is that politicians would get into bed with anyone if it means they get the Mercs and perks. Promises made during elections are easily ignored after them.

Can you produce a credible link for this story?

Advertisement