Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Pork Barrel Politics: Where The Housing Funds Go

• 10-02-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

I seem to recall covering this before on foot of an academic study of the allocation of funds at Ministerial discretion, which showed a definite pattern of additional funding flowing to Ministers' constituencies. It may have been a little dry - "the correlation between the variables is significant" sort of stuff.

This is from RTE, and being journalistic, is more dramatically encapsulated in a handy infographic:

000a23a6-614-1.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2015/0206/678283-housing-funds-favour-counties-of-some-senior-politicians/

The average there would be what each county would get per capita if the funds were evenly divided. Obviously they are not evenly divided.

That's not to say these figures are quite as bad as they look - Mayo and Limerick do have a higher proportion of disabled and elderly than average, so their figures should be above average - just not quite that far above average.

Hoe acceptable is this kind of funnelling of discretionary funds towards Ministerial constituencies? And, if one finds it unacceptable, is it unacceptable only because someone else is benefiting?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd find it unacceptable because I'd believe in funding being allocated on the basis of need rather than influence. But then you wonder if you're in the minority, given how many people seem to vote on the basis of what a TD can get for their local area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The need for a list system grows & grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'd find it unacceptable because I'd believe in funding being allocated on the basis of need rather than influence. But then you wonder if you're in the minority, given how many people seem to vote on the basis of what a TD can get for their local area?

That's what strikes me - surely everyone would consider this unacceptable, yet equally surely Ministers do it because the beneficiaries find it not just acceptable but even expected.

Which in turn implies a poor level of public spirit.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Scofflaw wrote: »
    That's what strikes me - surely everyone would consider this unacceptable, yet equally surely Ministers do it because the beneficiaries find it not just acceptable but even expected.

You underestimate the Irish voter's capacity for doublethink. I've seen the very same people who decried such favouritism in the past rub their hands with glee at the prospect of Mayo benefiting from some largesse at last.

They don't even see it as doublethink: the argument goes that it shouldn't happen, but since it's always happened, we may as well benefit from it for the brief period that it's likely we can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There was a similar study done matching the correlation between lotto grants and the minister who happen to in charge of sports. Very similar to the OP's graph, irrespective of which party the minister belonged to. Foxes and hen-houses spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Interesting, correct me if I'm wrong here, but that suggests the residents of the most affluent constituencies seem to be the biggest NIMBY's in the country, they like social housing in principle, just not in their area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is difficult to image that Donegal's needs are so much different from Mayo's as suggested by the above table.
    conorhal wrote: »
    Interesting, correct me if I'm wrong here, but that suggests the residents of the most affluent constituencies seem to be the biggest NIMBY's in the country, they like social housing in principle, just not in their area.

if you live where property is most expensive then it is logical to suggest that social housing be built elsewhere as more can be built with the same funds at a cheaper location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

conorhal wrote: »

Ever been to Loughlinstown? No, thought not.

There is plenty a great deal of social housing in DLR (although almost certainly not enough, like everywhere else)

As a resident of SDCC it's very disappointing to see it well down the rankings. There is huge social housing need in its area. The government can borrow cheaply, housing is definitely needed, building it creates employment in the skill areas worst hit by the crash. Win win win all round, so why is so little being done?

And the ruralist nature of Irish politics is exposed once again. Dublin voters are under-represented and a lot of their TDs are rural 'party men' and 'party women' parachuted in who have no real feeling for the city.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ever been to Loughlinstown? No, thought not.

There is plenty a great deal of social housing in DLR (although almost certainly not enough, like everywhere else)

As a resident of SDCC it's very disappointing to see it well down the rankings. There is huge social housing need in its area. The government can borrow cheaply, housing is definitely needed, building it creates employment in the skill areas worst hit by the crash. Win win win all round, so why is so little being done?

And the ruralist nature of Irish politics is exposed once again. Dublin voters are under-represented and a lot of their TDs are rural 'party men' and 'party women' parachuted in who have no real feeling for the city.

There may be a great deal of social housing in DLR, but how much if it was built in to 60's to the 1980's and how much of it has been built there since?

Advertisement